Favorite Godzilla Suit of the Showa Series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Favorite Godzilla Suit of the Showa Series

Post by eabaker »

RabidGodzilla wrote:Hmm. Very interesting. I did not know that.
If you look very closesly, you'll see a couple of shots of the '62 suit in Mothra vs. Godzilla (when he's in the water and when he's covered in webbing), but it wasn't until Son of Godzilla that they gotr lazy about hiding it.

Another really obvious one is the use of the '67 suit for water scenes in GvsGigan.

And in GvsMothra: Battle for the Earth, the older suit is rather noticably intercut with the newer animatronic in the water battle scene, so Godzilla's eyes repeatedly change color between shots.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Post by RabidGodzilla »

eabaker wrote:
If you look very closesly, you'll see a couple of shots of the '62 suit in Mothra vs. Godzilla (when he's in the water and when he's covered in webbing), but it wasn't until Son of Godzilla that they gotr lazy about hiding it.

Another really obvious one is the use of the '67 suit for water scenes in GvsGigan.

And in GvsMothra: Battle for the Earth, the older suit is rather noticably intercut with the newer animatronic in the water battle scene, so Godzilla's eyes repeatedly change color between shots.
Wow. Lol. You've studied this way more than I have.
"Now I am become death....The destroyer of worlds."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

RabidGodzilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Wow. Lol. You've studied this way more than I have.
I've even taught classes on the subject. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

The body of the 67 suit is too bulky and the face is just ugly. Horrible suit.

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Post by RabidGodzilla »

REALLY? Wow! I wish I could take that class!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

RabidGodzilla wrote:REALLY? Wow! I wish I could take that class!
The one full class I taught on kaiju films, not one of the students ever turned in a final paper, so nobody even got an evalutation.

Other than that, it's just been a handful of guest lectures.

Always fun, though! People love being able to apply their critical thinking skills to something they really enjoy.

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Post by RabidGodzilla »

Lol. That's awesome.
I'll try to do this for the other threads I post. Once the conversation begins to dwindle, I'll ask about suits that haven't been discussed very much. So, what do you guys think of this one?
The Gyakushu-Goji suit:
Image Overall, I think this one could have been done better. Obviously the first suit was way to imobile to fight against another monster. And, I don't think suit making had been a perfected art just yet. But, I still kinda like it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm a big fan of the Gyakushu-Goji. I find the stiff upright posture a little awkward, but also interesting and very unique, and I love the fangs.

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Post by RabidGodzilla »

Yeah, it did look a little strange at times, didn't it? The close up were pretty bad, but I thought the rest looked good.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The '55 suit isn't the greatest, but I like the fangs.

And I had no idea Kinggoji was in MvsG. I'll have to watch for it next time I see the movie.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Post by RabidGodzilla »

Any other suits you guys feel warrant further discussion? If not, we'll move on to the Heisei series.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

I think the 55 suit looks cringe worthingly stupid.

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Post by RabidGodzilla »

gojira96 wrote:I think the 55 suit looks cringe worthingly stupid.
From up close, yeah, it's pretty bad. But the rest, I think is pretty cool. The fangs are what sells it for me.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Another vote for the Mosu-Goji suit. It is probably the most downright menacing of the Showa Godzilla suits, and manages to look suitably imposing and powerful without being too bulky or fat. I think that most of the Showa suits that came after were based heavily on the Mosugoji suit (the prominent eyebrows, large eyes, somewhat diamond-shaped head, and overall body shape)- you can still see some pretty major inspiration all the way even in '75.

Of the heroic Godzilla suits I like the '74/'75 suit the most. It embraces the heroic aspect of Godzilla completely and the insolent, courageous expressionon its face sells it for me.

Its not one of my favourites, but I don't mind the '67 suit. As far as portraying the 'lazy, cranky father' personality that Godzilla had I can scarcely imagine a more suitable suit.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

murasaki07
Yojimbo

Post by murasaki07 »

I like the 64 suit. It was the first suit I saw so it's left a long lasting impression. I also like the 68 suit. Though his mouth is a little wide I love the eye brow region that gives him a serious kind of look though still kid friendly.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Mosugoji
That angle says it all. It is down right creepy ... Those eyes stare into your soul :freak:

Gives GMK a run for its money :lol:

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

I have 2 favorites
Godzilla 1954 because it looks badass 8-)
Godzilla 1968 because it brings back so many memories ;)
^This post in sexually offensive.

KiryuGoji03

Post by KiryuGoji03 »

I like the Soshingeki Goji...Kuz heez weerd.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Hmm, excluding the Shodai suit. Mine would either be the Mosugoji or Megarogoji suit. Over the years the Mosugoji suit has grown more one me, I love the suit as a hole but the weird brow kinda keeps me away. The other being Megarogoji is the one I remember as a child the most and instantly remember from that era. I would go with Megarogoji then for me.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

The 64 and the 54 suits are my favorites from the Showa era.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/