Favorite Godzilla Suit of the Showa Series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Favorite Godzilla Suit of the Showa Series

Post by RabidGodzilla »

Hey everyone! I have found a few topic discussing one specific suit in the Godzilla series, but never one discussing the suits of an entire series. This is hard for me. The Showa series obviously sports many Godzilla appearences. It did, after all, last 21 years. So, if you can't pick a favorite (like me) just post one or two of your favorites, or the one that influenced you the most, and post a brief explanation as to why you like it.

http://www.raremoviesworldwide.com/Godzilla1964.jpg Obviously, this one has to be in the discussion.

Overall, though, I'd have to say this one influenced my childhood love of Godzilla the most:
http://buriedtreasuresjpeg1.tripod.com/ ... dzilla.jpg *This link is no longer appearing. Check the edit below*
Sorry if the links don't show up guys. I'm still getting used to this forum. The two pictures are of the '64 Godzilla vs. Mothra suit, and the '75 Terror of Mechagodzilla suit. As this topic dies off, I will start a new one for the Heisei series, and after that the Millenium series. I look forward to hearing your opinions!
*EDIT
It seems the second link isn't appearing anymore. Here's another one:
Someone else brought it up, so I'll add it to this post. This is probably the most iconic "Good guy Godzilla" look known. It was used from 1968-1972, so it obviously resonates with many-a-fan.
*END EDIT
RG
Last edited by RabidGodzilla on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Now I am become death....The destroyer of worlds."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Favorite Godzilla Suit of the Showa Series

Post by eabaker »

Rather than post images of the suits themselves, I'm gonna post images of some of my favorite figures representing those suits.

My favorite suit of the Showa era is also my favorite of all time, and that's the gorgeous, terrifying original.

A solid second place goes to the KingGoji suit. The bestial nature of it appeals to me.

Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

The 1954 suit is easily my favorite. It's scary and realistic, but not too extreme. I love the fangs and the skin pattern.

My second favorite is the suit from Mothra vs. Godzilla. The eyes really give the monster a sense of evil and hatred, perfect for his portrayal in the film. I always thought the wobbly snout was kind of gross as a kid, but now I think it's pretty cool because it makes him look more animalistic.

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Post by RabidGodzilla »

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the original, but I thought I'd just sway from the usual path and go with something different. I didn't watch the original a lot when I was younger, so I didn't post it. But, yeah. It is, of course, an amazing suit.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm surprised by how much love the '73-'75 styles get on this site. I'm used to fans dismissing the "puppy dog" Godzilla as one of the most hated. I do feel like it has a lot of personality, and by the time of ToMG the reshaped face had lost some of the goofiness.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Post by RabidGodzilla »

I like it because it fit his role at the time. The great defender of Japan. Like you said, not everyone likes Godzilla as the hero, but I really do. I think it makes the character even more dynamic. His first appearence in TOMG is just....amazing. Tokyo is Godzilla's playground. Not yours.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

MosuGoji gets my vote as well. It and the King Kong vs. Godzilla suit were more or less the defacto two for marketing, and were used for most merchandise until the design in Godzilla vs. Biollante took the world by storm.

Oddly enough, not a huge fan of how the suit looked in Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, but it was great in its debut in Mothra vs. Godzilla. Also have a soft spot for the Destroy All Monsters through Godzilla vs. Gigan suit for nostalgia purposes.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Arbok wrote:Oddly enough, not a huge fan of how the suit looked in Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, but it was great in its debut in Mothra vs. Godzilla.
I don't find that odd at all. The changes to the face really alter the whole effect of the suit. It's a change that made sense from a story/thematic perspective, but it does no favors to the suit in and of itself.
Also have a soft spot for the Destroy All Monsters through Godzilla vs. Gigan suit for nostalgia purposes.
To me, that is the heroic Godzilla look. It was used for so many movies, it strikes a good balance of looking kinda friendly but still very tough, and, well, Godzilla vs. Gigan (on tv as Godzilla on Monster Island) is one of the handful of Godzilla movies that really stuck in my head as a kid.

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Post by RabidGodzilla »

Ah, yes. That is indeed probably the most iconic suit of the 60s and 70s heroic Godzilla.

Last edited by RabidGodzilla on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megalon7
Monsterland Worker

Post by Megalon7 »

Hard to choose, seeing as how I like most of the suits used in the Showa series. I guess my favorites are the 68-72 suit and the 73-75 suit. I like them because they were in the Godzilla movies that I would watch a lot as a kid.

and they look cool, in my opinion.

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Post by RabidGodzilla »

Megalon7 wrote:Hard to choose, seeing as how I like most of the suits used in the Showa series. I guess my favorites are the 68-72 suit and the 73-75 suit. I like them because they were in the Godzilla movies that I would watch a lot as a kid.

and they look cool, in my opinion.
I have that same problem. There IS NOT one Godzilla suit from the Showa series that I don't like. They're all pretty cool.
RG

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

They're all awesome in their own ways. My favorite is probably Kinggoji, largely because KKvsG was my first kaiju movie. It's a great suit, anyway, though. I really like the more reptilian look of it, and the oversized claws. It suits his role in the movie perfectly.

Mosugoji gets second place. I love the head, though the body is a bit too thin.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

My favorite has to be the suit from gojira. So sinister...so gutteral....a monsterof monsters truely
Rest in Peace Victoria

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

It's a 3 way between MosuGoji, Megarogoji and Godzilla '68'71'72 (I always forget the name of this suit)

The first two is purely nostalgic. I grew up with Megarogoji from Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla as well as Godzilla '68. MosuGoji was a recent addition to my favorites.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gyaos wrote:Godzilla '68'71'72 (I always forget the name of this suit)
SoshingekiGoji, after the film in which it first appeared, Kaiju Soshingeki.

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

How can people like 1954 the most? Those eyes are messed up.
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

demoylition wrote:How can people like 1954 the most? Those eyes are messed up.
Yes, messed up in the best possible sense: fucking crazy eyes.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Shodai-Goji's eyes give me the impression that he's not looking at me - he's looking through me or inside me. :freak:

I will also vote for Mosu-Goji. For me, this is the ideal Godzilla design: massive, but not fat or "ripped", and an appearance that suggests both a villain and an anti-hero; he's not evil, but he isn't quite friendly either.
Although I prefer Godzilla with four toes and more irregular spines, Mosu-Goji doesn't have any true flaws in its design.

King-Goji gets second place; this suit accomplishes pretty much the same stuff as Mosu-Goji, but I think the more overtly saurian appearance and the almost childlike personality the suit portrays are better seldom used.
Last edited by Rody on Thu May 07, 2015 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

demoylition
Interpol Agent

Post by demoylition »

Rody wrote:
King-Goji gets second place; this suit accomplishes pretty much the same stuff as Mosu-Goji, but I think the more overtly saurian appearance and the almost childlike personality the suit portrays are better seldom used.
the kong one? His eyes seem to always look upward
Shadow Arena: 2 win 1 loss

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

MosuGoji always and forever!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983