Mothra (1961)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Re: Mortha

Post by therealmccoy »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:
Encyclopedia wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortha

Currently Mortha is playing a key role in the political aspects of the nidadavole constituency...
Dude, I don't know how you do it, but you make some awesome pics. Laughing my ass off here! :lol:

EDIT: Hey! I just noticed the title is spelled right now!
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Rody
Xilien Halfling

MOTHRA (1961)

Post by Rody »

Definitely a kaiju classic. It gave a surprising amount of focus on the human characters, with some interesting political conflict as well.

(Oh, by the way, I have a question: Mothra IS female in this, right? The Sony DVD subtitles say 'he'.)
Last edited by Rody on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gamera87
Young Farmer

Re: MOTHRA (1961)

Post by Gamera87 »

All around Mothra is easily my favorite Kaiju, This film is my second favorite Mothra film, my first is the 1992 Godzilla Vs Mothra: The Battle for Earth for personal reasons but this 1961 classic is easily one of the best Kaiju movies imho.

(On the question about Mothra's gender, I don't believe I have ever really seen the subtitles give 'her' a gender, I know as fans we consider this to be a female and Mothra Leo from the trilogy a male.)

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Mothra is one of the best examples of classic Kaiju (looking at "Kaiju" as a sub-genre of Sci-Fi/Fantasy) cinema, IMHO. It's an incredible film and one of my favorite films of all time.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

The H-Man
GPN Volunteer

Post by The H-Man »

My favorite of the non-Godzilla Toho movies, plus it has a interesting human cast as well. The first movie to show any of the kaiju in a sympathetic light (Nelson and his henchmen are the villains).

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

^ Well, the ending of Rodan kinda had you feeling sorry for the monsters. But yeah, Mothra was the real one that introduced it.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I love Mothra. Fantastic movie, and bringing in fairy tale/fantasy elements is what made the Japanese giant monster boom as fun and long-lived as it was. Sympathetic monsters forever!
Haters gonna hate

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mothra is a good film, and shows that kaiju don't have to be evil. Mothra is one of the most colorful and beautiful monsters, and the film has an equally pleasing story.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

^Yes she is quite beautiful, with those sexy wings, fuzzy head, lovely thorax and legs that go all the way-
Oh... yeah it's a good movie, nice human characters, nice plot, all that stuff.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

tymon
Futurian

Mothra (1961)

Post by tymon »

Why isn't this film talked about more? This is not only a good monster movie, but a great film in general! Despite the lighthearted tone and incredibly simple story, I'm actually able to take the characters seriously (unlike 95% of the genre), and every one of them is memorable (Snapping Turtle ftw!). The acting is a big part of it, but so is the script. The pacing is tight and only boring in a few moments. The SFX are great, typical Tsuburaya - there's one shot of Mothra flying that's one of the most convincing shots of the character I've ever seen. Even the music kicks ass.

What do you guys think of this one? Because like I said, I hardly ever hear it mentioned on these forums. :P
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

tymon
Futurian

Re: Mothra (1961)

Post by tymon »

^Excellent prop. 30-40 feet, didn't know it was that big. Sheeeeit.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

LaserDuel
GPN Volunteer

Post by LaserDuel »

I only saw this movie recently, but to be honest, I preferred this to Mothra vs. Godzilla, mostly because the Mothra effects looked astounding in this movie. I was surprised that the whatever-their-called-fairies didn't speak in the beginning. Also, is it just me or is Mothra huge in this movie?

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

LaserDuel wrote:I only saw this movie recently, but to be honest, I preferred this to Mothra vs. Godzilla, mostly because the Mothra effects looked astounding in this movie. I was surprised that the whatever-their-called-fairies didn't speak in the beginning. Also, is it just me or is Mothra huge in this movie?
I saw this movie a long time ago. Mothra's like Gamera. They were both evil during their debut. Then they became good guys.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I've noticed before how little discussion this movie seems to receive on the boards. And that is very odd, considering that it is one of the very best films of its genre, introduced one of the most popular of all kaiju, and established many of the narrative and tonal aspects that defined what is generally regarded as the golden age of Toho's kaiju eiga (from about 1960-1966).

The triumvirate of Fukuda (reporter), Chujo (scientist), and Michi (photographer) represent some of the most appealing leads in the genre, and they clearly became the template for many of Shinichi Sekizawa's subsequent protagonist cliques. Meanwhile, Nelson is a classic scenery-chewing arch villain - a marvelous bit of overacting which works because of the fairytale nature of the story.

Mothra herself is a beautiful and brilliantly realized creation.

The overall plot is very simple, but its paced so well, played with such conviction, and highlighted by such fantastic set pieces (such as Fukuda's rescue of the baby from the flood waters) that it never feels simplistic or entirely juvenile.

And Mothra herself - at least in this first appearance - raises moral/ethical questions of a complexity rare in these movies. She is simultaneously a righteous savior of enslaved innocents, and the indiscriminate destroyer of the guilty and the innocent who stand in her path.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:

I remember this sticking out like a sore thumb in G X MG. Why? Because it look far better then the rest of the movie!
I thought the same thing, but didn't realize that was actual Mothra footage. Wow. That says something, when stock footage from forty years earlier looks better than the movie it's added to.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Master-Spiff
Samurai

Post by Master-Spiff »

I remember seeing the last half-hour of this [randomly airing] on ABC when I was about 10 or so. I'd like to get the DVD of it, but I don't really care about the other two films that Sony attached it to. XD

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Master-Spiff wrote:I remember seeing the last half-hour of this [randomly airing] on ABC when I was about 10 or so. I'd like to get the DVD of it, but I don't really care about the other two films that Sony attached it to. XD
Have you seen them and found that you didn't like them, or are you just not interested in giving them a chance?

Either way, it's a pretty cheap set, isn't it?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Master-Spiff
Samurai

Post by Master-Spiff »

eabaker wrote:
Master-Spiff wrote:I remember seeing the last half-hour of this [randomly airing] on ABC when I was about 10 or so. I'd like to get the DVD of it, but I don't really care about the other two films that Sony attached it to. XD
Have you seen them and found that you didn't like them, or are you just not interested in giving them a chance?

I don't think they look very interesting, but whenever I get the set, I'll give them a chance.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Master-Spiff wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I don't think they look very interesting, but whenever I get the set, I'll give them a chance.
I'm a big fan of The H-Man; along with Matango, it's an example of Honda skillfully utilizing a creepy atmosphere that would have been out of place in his kaiju work. Some gorgeous cinematography, and some really creepy sequences.

Battle in Outer Space isn't entirely my cup of tea, but some of the effects sequences are absolutely fantastic.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

tymon wrote:Why isn't this film talked about more?
The Rolisican secret service makes sure it stays that way. You've been warned.
bleep bloop