Talkback: Matango (1963)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
nobodobodon
Young Farmer

Re: Matango the original Gilligan's Island?

Post by nobodobodon »

Several have pointed out that the timing is wrong for the TV show to be inspired by the movie. The similarities between the two works is hard to ignore, and the timing of their releases so close together suggests they might have been submitted around the same time.

So there's only one conclusion I can draw: They are both based on a true story.

We may never know what REALLY happened, whether the crew and guests were American, Japanese, or from somewhere else entirely, or whether the tycoon was married or sleeping with the celebrity or perhaps both. But I think we can be pretty certain that the Professor was the sole survivor and that he died shortly after rescue. As for mind-controlling fungus versus coconut-powered bamboo cars, we can only hope they had both.

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Re: Matango the original Gilligan's Island?

Post by menschenjaeger »

^^ That's definitely it.

And there was that Gilligan's Island episode with the giant radioactive vegetables...

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Re: Matango (1963)

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

( This thread ( and film ) needs more love, period )

This film was the core reason why I wanted to get that triple pack, and I really do not regret doing so.

And now, Matango is not only my favourite Honda film ... But my absolute favourite out of Toho's Sci-fi entries.

I love it so much :D. It is soo well crafted. And it got quite disturbing at times ... Love it!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

GIGAN05 wrote:( This thread ( and film ) needs more love, period )

Concur, was shocked at the lack of conversation on it. Still one of my favorite movies, and one of the few Toho science fiction films that my gf enjoyed, so that must count for something. Try to make sure to watch this film every couple of years, which is saying something considering how exhaustive my film collection is now.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Very high on my list of Honda's best, just below the original Godzilla, and alongside Mothra and Mothra vs. Godzilla.

I wish Honda had been assigned more atmospheric horror stories, as he did a fantastic job on both Matango and H-Man.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Agreed. This is one of the best survival films of all time. It's truly something watching the characters' trusts break down and their attempted alliances fail despite the fact that they came to the island as friends. It reminds me of Night of the Living Dead, except with mushrooms, of course. ;)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

20th Century Boy wrote:Agreed. This is one of the best survival films of all time. It's truly something watching the characters' trusts break down and their attempted alliances fail despite the fact that they came to the island as friends. It reminds me of Night of the Living Dead, except with mushrooms, of course. ;)
(Night of the Living Dead + Gilligan's Island + Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) / 3 = Matango
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Mystery of Matango

Post by Ookondru99 »

I just got done watching 1963's Matango and I couldn't help but wonder what the purpose of the original shipwrecked crew (Those who wrecked prior to the main character's arrival on the island) was. It is somewhat said they might have been studying the effects of radiation, and if so, does that mean the Matango fungus was caused by some sort of mutation due to radioactivity? Just a thought, I'm probably over analyzing this....
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Mystery of Matango

Post by Arbok »

Ookondru99 wrote:I just got done watching 1963's Matango and I couldn't help but wonder what the purpose of the original shipwrecked crew (Those who wrecked prior to the main character's arrival on the island) was. It is somewhat said they might have been studying the effects of radiation, and if so, does that mean the Matango fungus was caused by some sort of mutation due to radioactivity? Just a thought, I'm probably over analyzing this....
It's possible that Matango was created by radiation... or the radiation angle could just be used to explain why no one went searching for such a large ship when it went missing if they were involved in such things.

What is clear is that they had a Matango species on the ship in storage, which is where the name came from, and while not conclusive, the species originating from the ship is likely.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Haven't seen it and I don't want to sound like a dick er anything but I have no desire to see it. Although I could be convinced I don't actually no what it about and my only exposure to matango is the matango spawn and mini boss in G:MOM
Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Beef Bigshot wrote:Haven't seen it and I don't want to sound like a dick er anything but I have no desire to see it. Although I could be convinced I don't actually no what it about and my only exposure to matango is the matango spawn and mini boss in G:MOM
Well, if you like stylish, atmospheric horror, I'd say it's a borderline must-see.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

eabaker wrote:
Beef Bigshot wrote:Haven't seen it and I don't want to sound like a dick er anything but I have no desire to see it. Although I could be convinced I don't actually no what it about and my only exposure to matango is the matango spawn and mini boss in G:MOM
Well, if you like stylish, atmospheric horror, I'd say it's a borderline must-see.
Or if you like hot chicks dancing on boats.
bleep bloop

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legionmaster wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Or if you like hot chicks dancing on boats.
Or if you're fascinated by Gilligan's Island parallels whenever and wherever they occur.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

I really enjoyed this movie. I was expecting a crap movie when i heard the american title "Attack of the Mushroom People" , but after some research and my first viewing I was genuinely impressed with it.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Beef Bigshot wrote:Haven't seen it and I don't want to sound like a dick er anything but I have no desire to see it.
Well since you posted, I'm curious: what turns you off from the premise that makes you uninterested in seeing it?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Ookondru99 wrote:I really enjoyed this movie. I was expecting a crap movie when i heard the american title "Attack of the Mushroom People" , but after some research and my first viewing I was genuinely impressed with it.
Never trust the titles of exploitation releases.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Arbok wrote:Well since you posted, I'm curious: what turns you off from the premise that makes you uninterested in seeing it?
cuz thers no godzila god
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:
Arbok wrote:Well since you posted, I'm curious: what turns you off from the premise that makes you uninterested in seeing it?
cuz thers no godzila god
That's why I refused to watch "The 400 Blows" for years.
I always assumed that Godzilla was about to rise out of the ocean immediately following the final shot.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

Something else I've noticed/wondered about this film, why does the main cast all have identical necklaces? I didn't notice this until recently

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:
eabaker wrote:I always assumed that Godzilla was about to rise out of the ocean immediately following the final shot.
I fully endorse this for the inevitable remake.
C A N O N
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....