Talkback: Half Human (1955) aka Jūjin Yuki Otoko

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
mkboy1313
Young Farmer

Re: Half Human (1955)

Post by mkboy1313 »

I managed to track down the unsubbed version, but if anyone can PM me with some help on the subbed version I'd be grateful.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Half Human (1955) aka Jūjin Yuki Otoko

Post by Ookondru99 »

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to see the Japanese version of Half-Human. I've searched the internet but haven't come up with anything. It's really disappointing, I've been trying to see this film for some time now :(
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Re: Half Human (1955) aka Jūjin Yuki Otoko

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Its a real shame that this film may never get an official release all because of a problem that happened so many years ago. Whats the hold up? Does Toho feel that even after 50 years the film could still offend that group of people?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GIGAN05 wrote:Does Toho feel that even after 50 years the film could still offend that group of people?
"That group of people" is an ethnic group still living in Japan, so yes. It's the same reason Disney won't release SONG OF THE SOUTH.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

half-human

Post by Godzillian »

That feel when half-human will forever be locked in the Toho vaults. I want to check it out! Sounds like it might be a pretty chill flick.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: half-human

Post by Godzillian »

Legion1979 wrote:This actually should go in the Showa subforum, since Half Human was made during the era. That'd be pretty chill. ;)
Thanks for the heads up bro

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Maybe toho will surprise us and release it once again in some form. Hopefully the will just get the "you know what just do it" attitude about the film and take it out of the vault.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Godzillian wrote:Maybe toho will surprise us and release it once again in some form. Hopefully the will just get the "you know what just do it" attitude about the film and take it out of the vault.
Toho won't do this because they know it has upset a lot of people in the past. It's stupid and if I were them I'd release it through a MOD service or something, but I understand their decision to keep it off the radar.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Tamura wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Maybe toho will surprise us and release it once again in some form. Hopefully the will just get the "you know what just do it" attitude about the film and take it out of the vault.
Toho won't do this because they know it has upset a lot of people in the past. It's stupid and if I were them I'd release it through a MOD service or something, but I understand their decision to keep it off the radar.
Like that's every stopped movies from being released. I can name a few movies that have caused people to become upset but still got released on to the masses regardless of that fact but in the end its Toho's decision. I did read somewhere (can't recall where) that ALLEGEDLY Toho does select screenings of the movie at film festivals and conventions in Japan

ProfessorBeats
GPN Volunteer

Post by ProfessorBeats »

This is an old topic but i'd appreciate a PM about where I can find this movie. It's been on my radar for quite some time.
Agent of Seatopia

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Godzillian wrote:
Tamura wrote:
Like that's every stopped movies from being released. I can name a few movies that have caused people to become upset but still got released on to the masses regardless of that fact but in the end its Toho's decision. I did read somewhere (can't recall where) that ALLEGEDLY Toho does select screenings of the movie at film festivals and conventions in Japan
Actually, it's caused MANY movies to not see VHS, DVD, or Digital release, at least in the United States. That's why you won't be able to find the Song of the South on DVD or Blu-Ray, Disney has imposed a self-ban on the movie and intends to never release it again because of the movie's depiction of African-Americans.

Starsteam
Keizer

Re: Talkback: Half Human (1955) aka Jūjin Yuki Otoko

Post by Starsteam »

I'm looking for the Japanese and American versions of this film too, if anyone can send a PM my way.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I recently just watch the original japanese cut with subtitles. A very good film with a creepy finale...
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I didn't have the benefit of watching it translated for either of the times I watched it in Japanese (O Dr. John Rayburn, where art thou?), but it's cool to see Akira Takarada, Momoko Kochi and Sachio Sakai together in another film, and the effects work was good. Plus it still makes pretty good use of Academy. John Carradine and his cohorts in the Half Human cut are pretty obnoxious, but fun to watch nonetheless. It's still really one of the worst early Americanization efforts though.

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

I ordered the US version from Sinister Cinema, Im sure there is a Japanese cut of the film out there...

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Godsteigman wrote:I ordered the US version from Sinister Cinema, Im sure there is a Japanese cut of the film out there...
I you know where to look you can find the Japanese cut with subtitles online. The quality is usually pretty bad though.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Godsteigman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godsteigman »

I located one also..waiting for it to be delivered

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

A fan reconstruction of the trailer if anyone is interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyq_-ktJMR4

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Godzillian wrote:A fan reconstruction of the trailer if anyone is interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyq_-ktJMR4
That's actually Toho's "official" reconstruction found on the timecoded screener boot.

AllPowersCombined
Ronin

Post by AllPowersCombined »

I've seen the Japanese version. I was a little disappointed. The Abominable Snowman with Peter Cushing (which I saw after that) was so much better in every way.
Still, I hope they release it one day. Right now it's difficult to even review it because it's instantly obvious that... well you know. That it was an illegal copy.