Talkback: Half Human (1955) aka Jūjin Yuki Otoko

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Talkback: Half Human (1955) aka Jūjin Yuki Otoko

Post by Godzilla21 »

gzillafan17 wrote:I am really interested in seeing this film, if anyone could PM me a link to English dubbed version I would be very grateful. It is the only other Toho/Honda kaiju like film that has avoided me.

Added in 58 minutes 20 seconds:
If no one has a link I will consider buying it off Sinister Cinema. Has anyone else bought from them and can verify their authenticity? And is it the American version?
The dubbed version is the Americanized version. I don't believe a dub of the original Japanese version exists. I can PM you if you need a link to a site with both the Americanized and subtitled original Japanese version.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

Godzilla21 wrote:
gzillafan17 wrote:I am really interested in seeing this film, if anyone could PM me a link to English dubbed version I would be very grateful. It is the only other Toho/Honda kaiju like film that has avoided me.

If no one has a link I will consider buying it off Sinister Cinema. Has anyone else bought from them and can verify their authenticity? And is it the American version?
The dubbed version is the Americanized version. I don't believe a dub of the original Japanese version exists. I can PM you if you need a link to a site with both the Americanized and subtitled original Japanese version.
Yes Please!
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

This video is from the Sinister Cinema DVD. It's better than the official Rhino/Englewood VHS releases in some ways, worse in others. Sinister's transfer comes from a splicy print whereas the VHS releases are much less damaged. However, the Sinister copy is arguably better because of the higher resolution.

Also worth noting that DCA's Half Human is not a dubbed version. Carradine narrates the Japanese footage but none of the cast is dubbed at all. All music and sound effects are replaced too. It's probably the worst Americanized version of any tokusatsu movie, which is a shame since the Japanese version is much more difficult to view.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Honestly, if anyone wants to watch it you can PM me. It's a neat little film with a great atmosphere.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think the odds are that the stereotypical portrayal of the Ainu-esque natives in the film (which is why it is banned until this day in Japan) is why Akira Ifukube himself did not end up scoring the film.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Ive heard about this, sounds interesting.

Wasnt the suit in this reused for the King Kong suit in 1962? Could be wrong, I read it somewhere.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Wasnt the suit in this reused for the King Kong suit in 1962? Could be wrong, I read it somewhere.
No. They are totally different costumes.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Does anyone know the origins of the timecoded Japanese cut? Someone earlier in the thread said it was an unreleased screener, is that true?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I heard that it was sourced from an unreleased VHS tape but I might be confusing it with Nostradamus's situation. Somebody like Terasawa or SpaceHunterM know more about it.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I heard that it was sourced from an unreleased VHS tape but I might be confusing it with Nostradamus's situation.
You're not confusing them, both films had the same fate. Both were intended for home video release and neither were released. Keith Aiken talks about the aborted Half Human release in this Monster Zero post. The leak of Nostradamus might have been from a similar situation.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I heard that it was sourced from an unreleased VHS tape but I might be confusing it with Nostradamus's situation.
You're not confusing them, both films had the same fate. Both were intended for home video release and neither were released. Keith Aiken talks about the aborted Half Human release in this Monster Zero post. The leak of Nostradamus might have been from a similar situation.
Good stuff, thanks for the info. This'll help greatly with a video I'm making.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I watched both versions today. The American version with John Carradine plays like an incredibly dumbed-down cliff notes version of the Japanese film. I did get a good laugh out of the scene where Carradine and his colleagues are talking about the "mysterious mountain village" (the Burakumim hamlet in the Japanese version):

Scientist: So were they savages?
Carradine: Not to the point that they'd eat their own dead...

I dunno why, I thought that was funny.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:The human characters have zero characterization. Like I know some Toho films don't have strong characters but Godzilla 1954 has some great human drama and later entries in toho's library have memorable people. This is just a group of people, a group of hunters, and some demented villagers. There's zero compelling dialogue about who or where the people we focus are from, or what their background is, beyond being from some university or being poachers.
This is absolutely this movie's biggest flaw. Except for the mountain girl Chika and the two snowmen, the characters we have any empathy for are gone for most of the second act and their reintroduction to set up the third act stalls the film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Just watched it, and I found it entertaining, for the most part. The characters felt quite dull.
For Emperor and Empire!