Did Titanosaurus die? :<

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Did Titanosaurus die? :<

Post by pikmintaro »

Terror of MechaGodzilla was always one of my favorites in the Showa movies, and a big part of that is because of Titanosaurus, I just love his design, and his roar and everything about him (Also his skin kind of looks like Pizza to me.) but I was always sad for him because he was being controlled, and I didn't know if he lived or died at the end of the movie, when I first saw the movie I didn't know about the Heisei ones so I was hoping that he would come back in more movies and help Godzilla, but since that was the last Showa movie he was never shown again.

Does anybody know if he was killed or not? it's always bothered me! :<
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Did Titanosaurus die? :<

Post by eabaker »

pikmintaro wrote:Terror of MechaGodzilla was always one of my favorites in the Showa movies, and a big part of that is because of Titanosaurus, I just love his design, and his roar and everything about him (Also his skin kind of looks like Pizza to me.) but I was always sad for him because he was being controlled, and I didn't know if he lived or died at the end of the movie, when I first saw the movie I didn't know about the Heisei ones so I was hoping that he would come back in more movies and help Godzilla, but since that was the last Showa movie he was never shown again.

Does anybody know if he was killed or not? it's always bothered me! :<
Considering the somber, funereal tone of the whole movie, I've always assumed that poor, manipulated Titanosaurus is dead at the end, one of the many victims of Mafune's bruised ego.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

There was an old thread on this...wish I could find it, but the consensus was a definite yes he did die.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

This is ultimately unanswerable, but eabaker's point about the movie's tone makes sense. That said, Titanosaurus didn't get hit that hard. Kaiju tend to be pretty resilient, after all. The auditory torture and atomic ray hurt him, maybe crippled him for a while, but I doubt it killed him. I like to think the poor guy recovered, and lived out the rest of his days as far from shore as he could get.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

I hope that he was still alive, but if not... good night sweet prince...
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Some kaiju are just too beautiful for this world...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Titanosaurus may have lived. The blast to the face didn't seem to be a fatal hit, but the way he dropped looked like it could have been.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

We go through this one here a lot. For all intents and purposes, he died. The possibility of survival is left there for any spin-off material - and probably for the event the Showa series had continued - but it's clear that the intention is for the sake of the film, he's dead, just like how Godzilla dies for all intents and purposes in G85, but came back in GvB. Had the Heisei timeline not continued, we'd all say Godzilla had died in the previous film.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

JVM wrote:We go through this one here a lot. For all intents and purposes, he died. The possibility of survival is left there for any spin-off material - and probably for the event the Showa series had continued - but it's clear that the intention is for the sake of the film, he's dead, just like how Godzilla dies for all intents and purposes in G85, but came back in GvB. Had the Heisei timeline not continued, we'd all say Godzilla had died in the previous film.
Wait a second I just watched Godzilla (The 1984/5 one) a couple days ago and they said several times that bringing him into the Volcano wouldn't actually kill him, whereas with Titanosaurus they don't say anything.
Favorite Godzilla movies

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

pikmintaro wrote:
JVM wrote:We go through this one here a lot. For all intents and purposes, he died. The possibility of survival is left there for any spin-off material - and probably for the event the Showa series had continued - but it's clear that the intention is for the sake of the film, he's dead, just like how Godzilla dies for all intents and purposes in G85, but came back in GvB. Had the Heisei timeline not continued, we'd all say Godzilla had died in the previous film.
Wait a second I just watched Godzilla (The 1984/5 one) a couple days ago and they said several times that bringing him into the Volcano wouldn't actually kill him, whereas with Titanosaurus they don't say anything.
I haven't watched it in over a year, guess you'e right. I think my point stands though.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

I think when he fell over the side of the cliff. He hit the water and just exploded. Because when Godzilla got in the water to go off into the sea, Titanosaurus would have probably attacked Godzilla from under the water,so he would have to die.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Titanosaurus, free from his life of manipulative oppression, dies along with his masters. It's a classic ending, really.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Titanosaurus didn't die, he just went home.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It makes cinematic sense for Titanosaurus to die. Both Titanosaurus and Katsura are pawns, and Katsura apparently has a closer link to Titanosaurus than Mafune. They both perish in the struggle of man, monster, and alien, free only in death.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote:It makes cinematic sense for Titanosaurus to die. Both Titanosaurus and Katsura are pawns, and Katsura apparently has a closer link to Titanosaurus than Mafune. They both perish in the struggle of man, monster, and alien, free only in death.
Exactly.

I think the interpretation that is most true to the emotional intent of the filmmakers is that the big T big the dust.

The entire movie is elegiac in tone. It weeps, not for the loss of the past, but for the loss of dreams once held for the future. It is a testament to the fallibility of every human soul. Titanosaurus is a victim of its horrifying, hopeless message.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

DEAD.

'Nuff said!

:twisted:
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

^Godzilla was more or less just pissed to the extreme and decided to blast him at that point lol.

But I honestly think it's up to the viewer to decide Titano's fate. I prefer to think he lived, and swam out as far as possible.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

In Godzilla's defense, he had no way of knowing Titanosaurus was under mind-control. All he saw was an enemy that had just tried to kill him, so taking cheap shot while he had the chance is completely understandable.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

NSZ wrote: Titanosaurus up and leaving out of nowhere the first time they fought wasn't a big enough indicator that something was up?

I mean, I know John Beck had it so that it was said that Godzilla's brain was the size of a berry, but...
He's an animal. A smart one, sure, but he's not likely to understand mind-control technology, or the idea that Titano was fighting against his will. He probably didn't find anything unusual about Titano running from him during the first battle; Kong, Kamacuras, and several other monsters had done the same thing in the past.

Shacker9227
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shacker9227 »

godzilla628 wrote:I think when he fell over the side of the cliff. He hit the water and just exploded. Because when Godzilla got in the water to go off into the sea, Titanosaurus would have probably attacked Godzilla from under the water,so he would have to die.
That "explosion" in the water was just to make the splash bigger than if the suit had fallen into the water. And why would he attack Godzilla after he had been freed from mind control? It was stated that Titanosaurus is a peaceful animal when left alone.
Godzilla 2000 wrote:He had a hole blown into his chest.

I dont think thats a good thing. =P
Probably a pyrotechnic error at most.

I wanna say he became unconscious but the way he didn't move at all and effortlessly fell off the cliff after being shot by Godzilla makes it seem like he's dead. It wouldn't matter though since Showa is long gone now and the movies probably won't continue that series.
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice." - Sydney Freedman, M*A*S*H