Monster Discussion #10: Maguma

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #10: Maguma

Post by edgaguirus »

I've thought I've seen everything,
but I aint never seen a walrus fly.

And maybe give Maguma electrified tusk to fight the invaders.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

edgaguirus wrote:I've thought I've seen everything,

I saw a peanut stand, heard a rubber band, I saw a needle that winked it's eye...
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

edgaguirus wrote:I've thought I've seen everything,

Ice powers would make more sense.

DinoMaster
G-Force Personnel

Post by DinoMaster »

I've had this idea brewing around in my head, because each time I take a look, Maguma seems less and less like a giant walrus. So, therefore, I propose a different idea that has little basis in real canon. It's more for fun, but I like it enough to share.

Maguma is not a walrus, but a descendent of the Lystrosaurus line that had adapted to aquatic life like a sea lion before becoming frozen in the Antarctic ice caps. When one takes a look at them quickly, the imitations could seem obvious. But, a few factors lie more for this new theory. One, Lystrosaurus and kin were held strongest in the Gondwanaland area of Pangea, which was a good chunk Antarctica. And while the paleontological evidence holds little, I would bet that it was one of those few places that continued to have them into the age of dinosaurs. And with a fairly quick isolation from the rest of the world, and the developing semi aquatic sea cretures, I could see a species developing into a niche, one becoming a kaiju, and hibernating and being glaciated over until it's freedom. That, and Walruses are an Arctic animal, and have never been found anywhere near that part of the globe.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

DinoMaster wrote:I've had this idea brewing around in my head, because each time I take a look, Maguma seems less and less like a giant walrus. So, therefore, I propose a different idea that has little basis in real canon. It's more for fun, but I like it enough to share.

Maguma is not a walrus, but a descendent of the Lystrosaurus line that had adapted to aquatic life like a sea lion before becoming frozen in the Antarctic ice caps. When one takes a look at them quickly, the imitations could seem obvious. But, a few factors lie more for this new theory. One, Lystrosaurus and kin were held strongest in the Gondwanaland area of Pangea, which was a good chunk Antarctica. And while the paleontological evidence holds little, I would bet that it was one of those few places that continued to have them into the age of dinosaurs. And with a fairly quick isolation from the rest of the world, and the developing semi aquatic sea cretures, I could see a species developing into a niche, one becoming a kaiju, and hibernating and being glaciated over until it's freedom. That, and Walruses are an Arctic animal, and have never been found anywhere near that part of the globe.
naw brah, its just a really shitty walrus suit
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's an interesting theory, and one that I could see in a fan fiction or movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

DinoMaster wrote:I...
Sounds plausible.

One thing I've always wondered about Maguma is his name. It suggests magma right? But he's a distinctly cold-climate associated kaiju.

Maybe an update of the kaiju could give him fire based powers of some kind; though it would make just as much since to give him ice powers...
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
DinoMaster wrote:I've had this idea brewing around in my head, because each time I take a look, Maguma seems less and less like a giant walrus. So, therefore, I propose a different idea that has little basis in real canon. It's more for fun, but I like it enough to share.

naw brah, its just a really shitty walrus suit
You mean Chuck Norris in a terrible Walrus suit.
Godzilla

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

^ No, it certainly wasnt Chuck Norris, that tumor walrus got PWND by a few laser blasts, thatd never happen to Chuck Norris

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:^ No, it certainly wasnt Chuck Norris, that tumor walrus got PWND by a few laser blasts, thatd never happen to Chuck Norris
You do realize we are in the year 2016, no?

Anyways, derp!:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Space Hunter M wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:^ No, it certainly wasnt Chuck Norris, that tumor walrus got PWND by a few laser blasts, thatd never happen to Chuck Norris
You do realize we are in the year 2016, no?

Anyways, derp!:
No I didnt, must be lagging, sorry.

OT- Alwaysnloved that this guy was another one of those random, come out of nowhere kaiju, like the Condor, and the Octopus from Frankenstein vs Baragon.
Maguma dont need no introduction
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Alwaysnloved that this guy was another one of those random, come out of nowhere kaiju, like the Condor, and the Octopus from Frankenstein vs Baragon.
Maguma doesnt need no explanation
I believe the movie said it best:

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

But Chuck Norris did get PWND by Bruce Lee so..the evidence supports it.
Godzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Maguma is unexpected, but it wasn't the only time Toho squeezed a kaiju into a sci fi movie where it wasn't the main focus. Just ask Manda. Still, it does add a little interest to the film, even if it's a small role, relatively speaking.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

edgaguirus wrote:Maguma is unexpected, but it wasn't the only time Toho squeezed a kaiju into a sci fi movie where it wasn't the main focus. Just ask Manda. Still, it does add a little interest to the film, even if it's a small role, relatively speaking.
His sudden appearance reminds me more of monsters like the Giant Condor, and the Giant Octopus from FCTW, he comes out of nowhere!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Too bad you don't see him in the American version.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

edgaguirus wrote:Too bad you don't see him in the American version.
Maguma rocks. Poor guy gets taken out pretty quickly though
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

One of the kaiju, whose popularity is beyond my understanding. A simple giant mammal (and not a memorably looking one) with few minutes of screentime in a movie that isn't even a kaiju one, and yet everyone is a fan of it. I'm not much of a fan of these obscure kaiju, at least most of them. I think there is a good reason they fell into obscurity, they don't seem that much interesting.

I mostly like the more "mainstream" kaiju better.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Maybe because people like an underdog, or underwalrus in this case. Anyway, it may just be that there are few giant walruses out there. Aside from an episode of Ultra Q and Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, I can't think of any other huge walruses.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

One question I have in mind is, if Godzilla and Maguma meet, would they be allies or enemies?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)