Monster Discussion #10: Maguma

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #10: Maguma

Post by Godzilla21 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:@Someone who has the movie, or knows exactly what happens in his scene

Can someone explain, in detail, his scenes, what he does, and such?
Basically he shows up and destroys a building. Scientists fly down to Japan to see him. They fire at him with a beam weapon. His dead carcass is shown. The end.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I heard Maguma has a bath scene in Gorath.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:@Someone who has the movie, or knows exactly what happens in his scene

I'll do you one better.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think he's the most generic and filler monster. If it lost that quickly to a VTOL it's no surprise how it would fare in a fight against a monster with a beam weapon.

Before anyone gets angry at me keep in mind I don't think that's a bad thing. I actually like a lot of the lesser monsters like Gorosaurus, Varan, or Manda. Obviously the three I'm mentioning aren't as filler esque as Maguma. I just feel that having a lot of extra kaiju that are pretty much weak fodder is important because I don't think every kaiju should be a King Ghidorah or Destroyah. I like the simplicity of a lot of the "filler kaiju" because it adds to the realism of a world where ancient creatures are trapped underground after sleeping for millions of years (or just a world with monsters).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Oasis_S wrote:

I'll do you one better.
Huh.Could've sworn his roar was different.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I saw Gorath for the first time after moving to Japan back in late 2006. Overall, the film is very enjoyable if you watch it with an open mind and don't take its premise too seriously (i.e. using rockets to move the Earth out of Gorath's path. Even for a daikaiju film, that's really stretching things). It has a top notch cast that were regulars in the "Golden Age" of the showa Godzilla/tokusatsu films (Takashi Shimura, Kumi Mizuno, Akira Kubo. Kumi Mizuno is particularly good in this film), and only Honda could make a film with such an outlandish premise work. Overall, not of the of the best films during this period, but it was fun and I liked it.

As far as Maguma goes...he's barely in the film. Maguma is definitely...um...."unique"....I've never really been sure what to make of him. If there ever was a monster that was a total "enigma" in the daikaiju genre, Maguma would definitely fit that bill to a T...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Oasis_S wrote:

I'll do you one better.
Lmao, thanks.
Wow, Maguma looks... bad :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

More like Bad ass. He was killed by future tech that was used to move the Earth out of orbit.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I love Maguma despite the fact that he's the most "guy in suit" looking monster that Toho put out. If you watch the Maguma scene within the context of the rest of the movie his appearance makes even less sense. But I still love it.
SpaceG92 wrote:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I like Maguma's design. I think it looks pretty cool for being one of the only walrus kaiju around.

However, his execution in the film (at least based on my viewing of the video linked above) is pretty bad. He does literally nothing and isn't that interesting.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

He has gotten no merchandise either. Aside from a handful of official art from Toho and a marmit he has been over looked. Being Maguma is being forgotten :(

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Godzillian wrote:He has gotten no merchandise either. Aside from a handful of official art from Toho and a marmit he has been over looked. Being Maguma is being forgotten :(
He actually has a pretty nice X Plus figure. Would love to get my hands on it but it's so rare.
SpaceG92 wrote:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

He's also got a pretty cool Marmit Vinyl Paradise figure that I hope to find at G-FEST this year.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

At least we're still talking about Maguma. The walrus isn't forgotten completely, just very overlooked.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Godzillian wrote:He has gotten no merchandise either. Aside from a handful of official art from Toho and a marmit he has been over looked. Being Maguma is being forgotten :(
Not looking in the right places.
http://clubtokyo.org/listings/itemListi ... tentID=257
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I like that for once a monser was killed by military rather mundanely rather than just driven away by another monster or falls into the water. I mean I know the monster was just thrown in so it's not like he was the menace for the whole movie.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Would have been interesting to see him in Destroy all Monsters. Shame he got cut.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I wish Maguma inexplicably joined in the final battle of The War in Space.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Now that one would be hard to explain.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote:Now that one would be hard to explain.
Not if his flippers were actually wings.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.