Powers Talkback: Atomic Breath (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Re: Powers Talkback: Atomic Breath (Showa)

Post by ScootaVaran »

GodzillaSpawn wrote:So, do you guys like it when Godzilla "charges up" to shoot his beam or when he can just blasts it off rapid-fire style?

I like the suspense of the build up like GMK and Godzilla 2000, but it can be inconvenient in battle.
I love the charge up beam more.
I also view the charge up beam to be a much more powerful move then the quick fire off.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Depends on the circumstances. The long-charge works best for big, dramatic scenes when the beam has a real, powerful effect. When he fried Baragon in GMK, for example. But the quick-firing Showa and Heisei beams are scarier, in their way, because he can shoot them off without warning, giving the target little or no time to react.

I guess I prefer the latter, overall.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Gotta love the classic Atomic breath. I do like the forceful, explosive beams the later Godzillas have but the classic heat ray version is awesome. I liked how Godzilla would use it somewhat sparingly in a fight, as opposed to spamming his opponents to death with it. It made it a little more special when it wasn't his primary method of attack. The misty vapor breath from the early films was really cool too, I like how Zone Fighter used both versions.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

Alexzilla408
Samurai

Post by Alexzilla408 »

GodzillaSpawn wrote:So, do you guys like it when Godzilla "charges up" to shoot his beam or when he can just blasts it off rapid-fire style?

I like the suspense of the build up like GMK and Godzilla 2000, but it can be inconvenient in battle.
I like when it has to charge up. I always like to think of it as his finishing move. If it's something that he can just blast rapidly, it loses some of its luster to me. But when he has to charge it up and absolutely obliterates whatever he is aiming at i.e. GMK or the final blast in Final Wars, it fits what I personally want it to be.
Bagan sucks and he will never be in a Godzilla movie. Shutup.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

I like how it is used in the original movie. You see Godzilla's fins light up, then the beam comes out. It's terrifying and devastating.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I was never a fan of the curved beams. It just... I don't know, it looks like what it probably is: SFX errors. The suit actor had his head at one angle when the beam is supposed to be firing, and the impact happens at another angle. Solution? Curve the beam.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

i love the high heat value of the showa beam. melting tanks=awesome
Resized Image

DocVape
Yojimbo

Post by DocVape »

Ahh Godzilla's atomic breath....lets just say, as a child, 1982 or so....every single T-rex in my coloring books had atomic breath (and spikes added), to the point that my teachers would tell my parents that I insisted that a t-rex can shoot flames out of his mouth.

The 'curving' atomic breath ALWAYS bothered me....I never liked that...

What I always loved about it is, Godzilla can get beat on......and then be like Indiana Jones vs the Swordsman in raiders of the lost ark, blow the enemy away with his atomic breath, and get back to business

What I LOVED.....was in the later films, the 2000's, where they showed the air around his mouth start to emit...or suck in this power he was about to explode out.....amazing....

Loved in GMK when it was likened to an Atomic Blast

My favorite, 1990 something, this comic book store imported godzilla vhs movies, movies they never showed on TNT, we are talking the Hesiei version of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah...

anyway, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla......when Rodan's essence joined Godzilla's, and he started to shoot out red beams.......
I was like :freak: :huge: :huge: :lol: :shock: 8-)

I had no idea what was going on, it was in another language with no english subtitles.... I wast just cheesing really hard

coolest thing ever