Lost Project: Godzilla vs. the Gargantuas

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla vs the Gargantuas: Would you have been up for i

Post by Gojira1963 »

Tohosaurus wrote:I'd like to see a 21st century Godzilla vs Gargantuas myself.
Outside of Godzilla the Gargantuas are my favorite movie monsters. If Toho ever gets back around to doing Godzilla films once again I would absolutely love a Godzilla vs Gargantua movie! I am drooling just dreaming about it!
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I have an idea. Godzilla could team with sanda to fight giara and another kaiju.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I would rather Sanda and Gaira eventually team up against Godzilla.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I actually don't think this is a very good idea. The Gargantuas work very well in the context of their own story, but thematically I don't see much meat on the bones of a Gagantua/Godzilla movie, and I suspect that narratively you'd end up with something akin to G/Mothra:TBFE, with Godzilla getting pushed to the sidelines of an otherwise redundant revisitation of War of the Gargantuas.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

This is do the fact that, being Humanoid, the Gargantuas would only want the audience wish for the Mammal Kong to battle Godzilla. This maybe why the story was left on the cutting room floor.
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Crimson_Raptor wrote:This is do the fact that, being Humanoid, the Gargantuas would only want the audience wish for the Mammal Kong to battle Godzilla. This maybe why the story was left on the cutting room floor.
Now think about this, the later show godzilla is a good guy,he tries to break up the fight with sand agreeing. Goji leaves, then gaira attacks him from behind, sanda helps out, then another monster appears (maybe titanosaurus). Now its Godzilla vs. Gaira and Sanda vs. the other monster.

Say what you think, but I personally like this idea.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've never seen WotG and don't know all that much about the Gargantuas, but pitting them against Godzilla seems like a cool idea. It's one of those things that probably would've been best as a Showa movie, though. I can't see it working as well now.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I wonder if this was the inspiration for the Yeti in Marvel comics Godzilla series? The Yeti put up quite a fight against Godzilla and Red Ronin in the three way fight, so I do not see were people think one Gargantua would not put up a challenge to Godzilla. Now if they wanted to do a tag team fight, mabey throw someone like Gigan since Garia hates mankind and the Space nepula hunter M aliens could take this as a chance to take over earth. Or Garia goes through some sort of mutation that makes him more powerful and that it takes Sanda and Godzilla together to beat him.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

JAGzilla wrote:I've never seen WotG and don't know all that much about the Gargantuas
I strongly recommend it! It is where all the Maser Tank stock footage came from. It'll open your eyes to just how stock-filled Godzilla vs Megalon is, and would explain the weird jump cut in Godzilla vs Gigan when the aliens are watching Gigan and King Ghidorah destroy buildings in Tokyo Bay and say, "It's all going absolutely to plan. Perfectly, all of it!." Then you see Gigan, now in a mountainous area, get blasted in the face by a Maser Tank and falls to his knees as trees are laser-sliced (now stock footage from WotG) in front of him.
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Yeah, I keep hearing it's good. There are a few Godzilla movies I want to get first, but I'll definitely pick up the DVD at some point.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

WoTG is a good film. Watch it when you can.

On topic, Godzilla facing one or both of them would be an interesting spectacle, but it's unlikely to happen. The gargantuas are like Varan. They had one film and haven't been seen since for years. I'd like to see them back, but I won't hold my breath.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dynomy84
EDF Instructor

Post by Dynomy84 »

I can picture the encounter going like this; Sanda and Gaira, still fighting, suddenly notice Godzilla. Sanda assumes he's a threat, while Gaira's just attacking to start a fight. The two at first team up against the King of the monsters, but eventually, Sanda realizes Godzillla is no threat, and the two team up against Gaira. However, Gaira gets more aggressive, and puts up a big fight against the two. Eventually though, Godzilla and Sanda manage to finish him off.
Dynomy
If all else fails, eat pudding. Pudding never fails!

Just Plain Dan
G-Force Personnel

Post by Just Plain Dan »

If the right people were behind it, I'd be all in. :huge:

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

ehhhh well it would have been a cool movie in the godzilla movie line but i feel like it would be either a really fast fight (ATOMIC BREATH SPAM!!!!!!) or somehow the gargantua would win and it would be like g's defeat by mothra larva
Resized Image

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

The One and Only wrote:The reason behind their growth spurt could've explained away due to the injuries induced by their fighting each other, and the volcano eruption. Their regeneration , which no doubt was behind Sanda getting as big as he did, and Gaira's own creation from a piece of meat off of Sanda. Probably kicked into overdrive, and they would've soaked up all that protean rich plankton along the way. Healing the Gargantuas, and growing them larger in the process.
I mean, sure, you could do that or...they never state that Frankenstein or the Gargantua's ever stop growing...

...and surprise, I agree with Eabaker to a point. However, I think there's something that could be done here if you approached it from a less obvious angle. Perhaps Gaira is captured and trained into "cage-fighting" Godzilla and when Sanda realizes he can't save his "brother" he tries to help Godzilla?
Mecha-Gaira?
Or just a good old-fashioned giant monster "horror" film? Gaira preying on people in the wake of Godzilla's destruction?

I dunno, but I wouldn't say I'd be uninterested in it...
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

edgaguirus wrote:WoTG is a good film. Watch it when you can.

On topic, Godzilla facing one or both of them would be an interesting spectacle, but it's unlikely to happen. The gargantuas are like Varan. They had one film and haven't been seen since for years. I'd like to see them back, but I won't hold my breath.

I could never understand why Toho never used the Gragantuas again. It was apopular movie here in the States and was well recieved by most critics. It is one of my favorite Non-Godzilla movies.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Captain Aktion wrote:
The One and Only wrote:The reason behind their growth spurt could've explained away due to the injuries induced by their fighting each other, and the volcano eruption. Their regeneration , which no doubt was behind Sanda getting as big as he did, and Gaira's own creation from a piece of meat off of Sanda. Probably kicked into overdrive, and they would've soaked up all that protean rich plankton along the way. Healing the Gargantuas, and growing them larger in the process.
I mean, sure, you could do that or...they never state that Frankenstein or the Gargantua's ever stop growing...

Mecha-Gaira?
At the very least, I'd love to see what that would look like.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

James23873 wrote:And I wouldn't be surprised if the title was changed when brought to America to something like, "Godzilla vs Bigfoot."
I can see the tagline in the adverts for the flick now.
"This summer. Godzilla will be getting.... SQUATCHED !!!"/size]
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Lost Project: Godzilla vs. the Gargantuas

Post by Godzillian »

This was a dream film for me haha As a kid I always wanted to see Godzilla fight with the Gargantuas. Shame this idea got the axe and was left on the floor. It would make a cool IDW mini-series though if you ask me. Anyone else think that would be a cool idea?

The One and Only
Futurian

Re: Lost Project: Godzilla vs. the Gargantuas

Post by The One and Only »

Take heart True Believer, Sanda and Gaira will be putting in an appearance in the IDW G-Mag, Rulers of the Earth. So the long awaited butting of heads between Godzilla and the Frankenstein Brothers maybe finally happening.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.