Lost Project: Godzilla vs. the Gargantuas

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla vs the Gargantuas: Would you have been up for i

Post by Megalon-5 »

Crimson_Raptor wrote:That is rather confusing why they did not. Even though Destroy All Monsters was a big budget film, only the two new suits were made, Godzilla and Anguirus. With the others being reused and repaired. Gaira's was not as damaged, nor even Sanda's.
I know. Their suits were practically brand new and probably suffered very little damage. They could've easily thrown them in the film. I can understand why certain kaiju didn't make the final cut (Toho lost the rights to Kong, Ebirah probably couldn't work too well in scenes that weren't in water or his suit suffered water damage and Maguma probably wasn't too well known). But for the Gargantuas, it kinda baffles me how they weren't in the film. I think scenes of them on Monster Island, rampaging and fighting Ghidorah would've fit fairly well. Too bad though.

Still, I'd really love if Toho brought them back in some future Godzilla film. Of all the non-Godzilla Toho monsters I want in the Godzilla roster, these guys are the top ones.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

The monster roll call was odd even for Destroy All Monsters. Since when did Gorosaurus, or even Manda cause great destruction on mankind? Minya must have been guilty by association, Lol
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Hell yes this would have been fantastic.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

I would have liked to see this if it was made, along with some of the other abandoned projects.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

I wonder how we even came to know about it. Was Henry Saperstein quote in a fanzine about it or was audio review made? Who is "Reuben Bercovitch" as the cutting room floor states is its reference?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I am thankful Toho didn't follow through with a Showa Godzilla vs Gargantua movie simply because even by the 1966 WotG the Godzilla movies were fairly light hearted whereas the Frankenstein Monsters saga was more serious and tragic. Keeping the two separate for several years at least would preserve the Gargantuas, if that makes sense.

But it's 2012 now so I'm all for a duo, and I'd go for two Gargantuas versus Godzilla. As one poster said it, this stacks the deck against Godzilla and makes it more interesting. Even if the two together aren't really much stronger (if at all), fighting two on your own poses its own challenges.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

Tohosaurus wrote:I am thankful Toho didn't follow ... because even by the 1966 WotG the Godzilla movies were fairly light hearted whereas the Frankenstein Monsters saga was more serious and tragic.
Ah but if the cutting room floor is to be believed, this would have occured in 1978, after Terror of Mechagodzilla when Godzilla was becoming more tragic.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Crimson_Raptor wrote:
Tohosaurus wrote:I am thankful Toho didn't follow ... because even by the 1966 WotG the Godzilla movies were fairly light hearted whereas the Frankenstein Monsters saga was more serious and tragic.
Ah but if the cutting room floor is to be believed, this would have occured in 1978, after Terror of Mechagodzilla when Godzilla was becoming more tragic.
Although they went back to being a little more serious and "grown up" if you prefer, neither Fukuda's nor Honda's 74 and 75 films were anywhere near the Frankenstein Monsters saga. We still had goofy Planet of the Apes aliens, wacky scientists, etc. It anything I see it more as relatively campy films that simply didn't cater so directly to younger folks (not that it was "bad" to begin with). And the MG movies are two of my favorite Showa Godzilla movies so it's not a slam, just a difference. Now with the remake of the original Godzilla movie around 1980 they might have headed in that direction, but I'd err on the side of caution.
고질라

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

The proposed Godzilla vs. Gargantua film could've been pretty dark. The 70's films were pretty violent compared to the 60's ones and Terror had a much darker tone compared to the other ones. Plus, the Gargantuas were pretty popular in America (if I can recall), so I can see this doing some big business in the states. Who knows though sadly.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Megalon-5 wrote:The proposed Godzilla vs. Gargantua film could've been pretty dark. The 70's films were pretty violent compared to the 60's ones and Terror had a much darker tone compared to the other ones. Plus, the Gargantuas were pretty popular in America (if I can recall), so I can see this doing some big business in the states. Who knows though sadly.
I'd like to see a 21st century Godzilla vs Gargantuas myself.
고질라

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Tohosaurus wrote:I'd like to see a 21st century Godzilla vs Gargantuas myself.
As would I. I would've loved for a Godzilla vs. Gargantuas flick in the Hesei/Millennium era or for when they return to making Godzilla films. If there's anything in the Toho canon I want part of the Godzilla franchise, this one is it.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Of course. The Gargantuans/Frankenstein being in a Godzilla movie would be
all levels of awesome. a Modern setting would be interesting to see.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Reaper Man
Monsterland Worker

Post by Reaper Man »

It would've been cool, but only with Godzilla vs two Gargantua. Gaira alone wouldn't be a match for him.
Seasons don't fear the reaper, nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Unless they gave Gaira some new ability, like they did Kong.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

I would love to see this. Maybe have a superstrong Gaira and a slightly less powerful Sanda fight against Godzilla, but once Sanda sees that the real threat to humanity is his brother, it turns into Sanda and Godzilla vs Gaira. Just a thougt...
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I wonder where this would've been set. Tokyo, Japan again, or the surrounding burbs. Or maybe somewhere outside of Godzilla's usual territory. With the proposed budget for this flick approaching six million dollars, a heafty price tag for one of these. I wonder if the writer, Reuban Bercovitch, and producer, Henry Sapperstein, had plans for pitting Godzilla against the Gargantuas in a region known for its giant hairy men, the Pacific Northwest, or more specifically Alaska. Finally having Godzilla make his landing on American soil. Alaska kept entering my mind for this battle the last few years watching Ice Road Truckers , and remembering an old episode of Battle of the Planets where the team encountered a kaiju sized Bigfoot in the Himilayas. Having Godzilla fighting it out with two bigfoot-like monsters in the Alaskan tundra would've been cool to see. With the popularity of the Gargantuas, being right up there with Godzilla and Mothra, i'm surprised this hadn't been tries during the Heisei , or Millenium Eras. Especially with King Kong being denied to Toho by Ted Turner, Sanda and Gaira would've been perfect replacements.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Weren't the Gargantuas only half the size of Godzilla? 25 meters as opposed to 50 meters? Would be interesting to see, nonetheless.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The reason behind their growth spurt could've explained away due to the injuries induced by their fighting each other, and the volcano eruption. Their regeneration , which no doubt was behind Sanda getting as big as he did, and Gaira's own creation from a piece of meat off of Sanda. Probably kicked into overdrive, and they would've soaked up all that protean rich plankton along the way. Healing the Gargantuas, and growing them larger in the process.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Godzilla1703
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla1703 »

I would have absolutely loved to see this, along with some of the other cancelled projects.
Shadow Arena History: Wins: 37(I'm heading for 50 :D) Losses: 26
Chris55 wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

Wont see that shit in Godzilla.
We did. A whole movie was based around it. It was called "GINO".

:)

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The One and Only wrote:The reason behind their growth spurt could've explained away due to the injuries induced by their fighting each other, and the volcano eruption. Their regeneration , which no doubt was behind Sanda getting as big as he did, and Gaira's own creation from a piece of meat off of Sanda. Probably kicked into overdrive, and they would've soaked up all that protean rich plankton along the way. Healing the Gargantuas, and growing them larger in the process.
If they found a way to made Kong bigger then they could of with both Gargantuans.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.