Lost Project: Godzilla vs. the Gargantuas

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Lost Project: Godzilla vs. the Gargantuas

Post by Pkmatrix »

Israha wrote:Shame this movie was never created. It would have one of the most intriguing "kaiju personality" dynamics in the whole series. Gaira was established as the evil man-eating monster, Godzilla was already a heroic character in that time, so logical thing would be him going after Gaira...and then there's Sanda, basically a good guy, but with a strong relationship towards his evil "brother", which would make him target Godzilla (whose target would be Gaira), thus making him a very ambivalent character, which would make a great subplot. Lots of unused potential in this lost project...
I agree! The monsters' storyline really sort of writes itself here. :)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It would be interesting to see that explored.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

The idea sounds cool, but all I can imagine it as is King Kong vs Godzilla, but with two kongs.
Assuming it means the gargantuas Gaira and Sanda
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

WotG left their end open to possibilities. The movie could have had one or both survive the erruption.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Screen International, July 23, 1977.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:Screen International, July 23, 1977.

Very cool. I think one thing that's easy to forget is that due to Saperstien's involvement in the franchise a lot of western media can provide useful info for some of the older projects.

Unless the newspaper was just wrong, this also seems to imply the Gargantua's were a concept and idea before Frankenstien vs. Baragon was even made.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Unless the newspaper was just wrong, this also seems to imply the Gargantua's were a concept and idea before Frankenstien vs. Baragon was even made.
I’m not sure where you’re getting that. The article is from 1977.

The idea of pitting two giant Frankenstein monsters actually predates the production of FCTW, though, as noted here.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Unless the newspaper was just wrong, this also seems to imply the Gargantua's were a concept and idea before Frankenstien vs. Baragon was even made.
I’m not sure where you’re getting that. The article is from 1977.

The idea of pitting two giant Frankenstein monsters actually predates the production of FCTW, though, as noted here.
Sorry, the wording on the article is a bit confusing. Why bring up Godzilla vs. Frankenstien if the film was never made? Without context, the assumption would be the film was made to completion. My bad aboutmissign the date though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I think the writer of the article meant to say Frankenstein Conquers the World and confused Baragon with Godzilla. Either that or lack of space to say that title. Perhaps a little of each.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

“Godzilla vs. Frankenstein” is a mistake, of course, since that particular film was never made. That’s the kind of mistake you could expect in the pre-internet era.

The writer probably pulled a file on Saperstein, found “Godzilla vs. Frankenstein” (which was somewhat extensively covered in trades in 1964), and didn’t do any further research to see that it wasn’t made under that title. After all, the mention of any previous Saperstein-Toho co-productions in the context of her article is only as an anecdote to show the two had worked together.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Then I was right; it was a mistake. Just not for the reasons I thought.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Those Gargantuas would've had to be large enough to fight Godzilla. At least about 40-45 metres
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I've heard that this movie aparrently was gonna have Godzilla go up against cyborg versions of the Gargantuas. Anyone else got more information on this?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

This concept essentially would have been King Kong vs. Godzilla only more sensible. I would have preferred this over the former. This movie also would have been a great opportunity to boost the status of the Gargantuas and possibly catapult them into regular future appearances, but alas we did not get this.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've never heard about the cyborg Gargantuas idea. It's possible this is based on a piece of art showing multiple mechs based on kaiju. The art does show mechs that resemble Sanda and Gaira.