Do you hate the showa series for being campy

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzilla The King
Futurian

Re: Do you hate the showa series for being campy

Post by Godzilla The King »

I find that "campy" is the wrong term, lighthearted sure but campy is not the word I'd use for the Showa era. I find it less campy and more of a lot of heart put into the films. As goofy as some things in the Showa era are, I feel like they tried which is more than can be said of the later half of the Heisei era and a good chunk of the Millennium era that felt like rehashes or great potential ruined by low budgets and rushed production.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

I find the Heisei era much more campy than Showa. The first era is definitely the best era, I think.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The Showa series feels like it has 'more heart' than the rest, if that makes any sense.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It makes perfect sense. Despite slashed budgets near the end of the Showa era, they were creating good stories and were willing to experiment with new ideas and monsters. They wanted to produce a quality product that entertained.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Considering that most of the later entries in the franchise were reboots and/or 'semi-remakes' of previous works, it isn't that surprising.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

I used to hate their campiness when I was younger, as I grew older I began appreciating how batshit they are and learned to suspend my disbelief and be entertained by them.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I never did. And, frankly, I have never really understood what exactly was supposed to make them "campy" in the first place.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I'm kinda in the middle with this. On one hand, I dislike how the series started off very dark in tone, and lost that tone by the fifth movie. On the other hand, these movies didn't care that they were campy, and as a result, they were still done very well (depending on the movie), with most being much more entertaining than the films that followed Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I think perhaps, Toho even knew of the 'fun' of the Showa series, and while appealing to 'younger audiences?' it worked. Therefore, the tone shifted to it, through out and kept it until the end of the era.

Just a guess.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

How are Godzilla Raids Again, King Kong vs. Godzilla, and Mothra vs. Godzilla "very dark in tone"?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Goji wrote:How are Godzilla Raids Again, King Kong vs. Godzilla, and Mothra vs. Godzilla "very dark in tone"?
Yeah, I agree. The series lost the grim tone of the first film by the significantly lighter Godzilla Raids Again, became outright comedy by KKvG, and from MvG onward dived headfirst into Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Adventure. Saying it lost that by the fifth film is really stretching it way beyond the truth.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The only classic-era Toho films I truly consider dark are the first Godzilla and Rodan. That's about it.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

To me, the films being campy doesn't affect my opinion on the films at all. I love these films. Maybe because they're fun and and campy? Yeah I think so.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

No, but IMO, all the worst-looking Godzilla suits are from this era.
Monsters are the real people.

expandkong
G-Force Personnel

Post by expandkong »

Jatahaxe wrote:No, but IMO, all the worst-looking Godzilla suits are from this era.
What suits from this era don't you like? besides 67 of course.
Resized Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Here we go...

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

People don't like something I like? Oh goodness no!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

If people are going to whine about Showa suits, please, just take it to one of the other appropriate threads.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=21410

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=13294

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=13856
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

It's not necessarily that many of the Showa suits are bad, I just find almost every suit post-Showa making most of them look silly by comparison.
Monsters are the real people.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Some effects might look not that good or 'sophisticated' as the latter ones but the films still take themselves serious-normal excluding that fact.