Do you hate the showa series for being campy

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Do you hate the showa series for being campy

Post by Goji »

Gojira18 wrote:The only Showa films I truly hate are Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon, Revenge, Son of Godzilla, and Ebirah
Do you truly "hate" them, or is that just for lack of a better term? That word gets thrown around so much in discussions here, and I find it very hard to believe people actually feel that way. I think Godzilla X Megagaguirus is the worst Japanese Godzilla film, but do I "hate" it? No, why would I? Now if a truck full of 35mm prints of GxM went off road and just happened to kill my best friend in the process, then yeah, sure.
Destorogoji wrote:I don't dislike the Showa Era (if that makes any sense)
That's a very straightforward statement. Of course it makes sense.
But the constant use of stock footage and the criminaly bad performances of the casts make a few of them unwatchables to me.
Still, the 1954 movie it's my favorite G movie of all time, everything in it it's perfect.
Constant? It literally happens in like three movies, during a time of decline in the industry (the '70's). Budgets were slashed, and they had no choice.

The Heisei and Millennium series have plenty of stock footage too, it was just masked better; usually of people feeling in the streets. But then, you have stuff like shots of Godzilla blowing up boats from Biollante showing up in SpaceGodzilla..five years later. These movies were supposed to have YUGE budgets, right? What was their excuse?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Destorogoji wrote:the criminaly bad performances of the casts
Really? I think the actors in just about all the Godzilla movies are at the very least adequate. The only harmful performances I can think of belong to the foreign non-actors and Japanese that speak terrible English, and that's almost exclusively a Heisei series trend. And even then, those probably wouldn't even seem as bad as they are to the Japanese audiences who these films were mad for.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Such a broad statement, campy is sometimes hard to nail down, what is campy for one person is not campy to another. Some may consider that just being a dubbed foreign film and the lips don't always match, automatically make them campy. While a poor dub can make a movie campier, that is more of an issue with the Heisei films then the Showa. Since many of the golden age Toho movies benefited from actually being dubbed in the west. Some people consider anything with “guys in rubber monster suits and miniature buildings” to be campy, again that can stretch well past the Showa era into both Heisei and Millennium films. There are plenty of people that look at older films as being automatically campy, usually films that were made before they were born.

The Showa era covers over 20 years and 15 Godzilla films, over 30 if you count all of Toho Sci-fi and Daikaiju films. Those that were made during Toho golden age of the sixties, benefit greatly from Toho studio system which allowed for plenty of access to good actors. Also Eiji Tsuburaya was one of the greatest special effects masters of his age, who pioneered many techniques still in use, and trained many to continue on his work.

During the Champion Festival films, starting with All Monsters Attack, aka Godzilla Revenge, through Terror of Mechagodzilla. You can say the camp factor increased with the lower budgets, more use of stock footage, the loose of Eiji Tsuburaya, plus the lost of quality dubbing by the likes of Peter Fernandez. To me it is the camp factor that gives these movie a certain charm.

New Kirk Citizen
Ronin

Post by New Kirk Citizen »

While I do prefer the more serious movies over the comedic/campy, I can appreciate the latter as well. It largely depends on what mood I'm in as to what I want to watch on any particular day. Also, if I'm trying to get someone interested in Godzilla, I probably wouldn't show them Godzilla vs Megalon.

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

I don't mind the Showa films being "campy". I love them because of it And if anyone doesn't care for the Showa era, that's fine. It's all an opinion and I respect those opinions.

What I don't like, however, is when people call the films (the 70's ones and Revenge) "The dark age of Godzilla films". There was never a "dark age" in Godzilla films. Even then, what makes Godzilla vs Megalon more campy than Son of Godzilla? Or what makes Godzilla Final Wars any better than any of those films since it's just as "campy" as the Showa films in my opinion? You can dislike those films, that's fine. It's an opinion, and I respect that, but they're far from the "dark age of Godzilla films".
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I like them. Half of them are not the best quality-wise but at least they are entertaining. More entertaining than the bad movies in the other eras.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Definitely enjoy the Showa series. Some clunkers, but some solid gold as well. It's camp is part of it's charm.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Goji wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:The only Showa films I truly hate are Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon, Revenge, Son of Godzilla, and Ebirah
Do you truly "hate" them, or is that just for lack of a better term? That word gets thrown around so much in discussions here, and I find it very hard to believe people actually feel that way. I think Godzilla X Megagaguirus is the worst Japanese Godzilla film, but do I "hate" it? No, why would I? Now if a truck full of 35mm prints of GxM went off road and just happened to kill my best friend in the process, then yeah, sure.
Like, they're objectively bad. They just aren't what I think when I think of Godzilla.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

New Kirk Citizen wrote:While I do prefer the more serious movies over the comedic/campy, I can appreciate the latter as well. It largely depends on what mood I'm in as to what I want to watch on any particular day. Also, if I'm trying to get someone interested in Godzilla, I probably wouldn't show them Godzilla vs Megalon.
This. I agree with all of this.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Gojira18 wrote: Like, they're objectively bad. They just aren't what I think when I think of Godzilla.
There's nothing """"""objectively"""""" bad about Son of Godzilla, Hedorah, or Ebirah. They hold up much better than some other Godzilla movies like KIng Kong vs Godzilla or Godzilla Tokyo SOS. They're not perfect but an ugly Minya suit or Godzilla acting differently than usual doesn't make a movie """"""objectively"""""" bad.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Gojira18 wrote: Like, they're objectively bad. They just aren't what I think when I think of Godzilla.
There's nothing """"""objectively"""""" bad about Son of Godzilla, Hedorah, or Ebirah. They hold up much better than some other Godzilla movies like KIng Kong vs Godzilla or Godzilla Tokyo SOS. They're not perfect but an ugly Minya suit or Godzilla acting differently than usual doesn't make a movie """"""objectively"""""" bad.
It's not just that. Just almost everything about them, aside from some good moments here and there, rub me the wrong way. It's MY opinion. If you disagree, so be it.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Gojira18 wrote:It's MY opinion. If you disagree, so be it.
I never implied it wasn't your openyen, but you really shouldn't frame it with objectivity or even bring it up.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Personally, I always thought that the Japanese had great imaginations when it came to creating monsters. I really love Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman,etc. Most of the movies and TV shows are great and even the clunkers have some degree of quality, if not watchability. I've always said "Give me a Japanese monster movie, whether good, bad or indifferent, and I'm the happiest man alive".
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Nope, in fact I hate the Heisei series for it's boringness which is thinly disguised as being more serious, apparently being silly yet entertaining means that the showa era has to be blacklisted and never be mentioned again. One thing I don't get is how so many people are irked by Godzilla dancing briefly in monster zero, its not like that automatically ruined the movie. It seems people like to boast the heisei era as what Godzilla is supposed to be, serious, dark, but boring. There's a reason Terror of Mechagodzilla isn't always as regarded as highly as it's predecessor, it tries to be "darker" but it comes off as less entertaining as GvsMG. I regard the Showa era, even the 70s films, as far more fun & re-watchable films than any of the Heisei films. I hope for the day the Showa era Ghidorah finally supersedes the overused Heisei Ghidorah in merchandise & media, I am sick of seeing its floppy horns and hearing Rodan's stolen roar.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Being campy just adds to the enjoyment. Are there silly and cringworthy moments? Yes, but how can honestly say that seeing Godzilla fly, dance, etc. didn't bring a laugh or smile?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Biogoji wrote:Does anyone here hate the showa series for being campy which made people think godzilla is noting but crap campy monster movies personally i love the showa series but what's your opinion.

Well, you're banned and I'm not even sure if this thread is still active... but I'm going to answer anyway.

The Showa Godzilla series is what I like to call unique, and it is a series that is good fun for all out monster battles. If I had control of classifying all the movies, I would put the original 1954 film in its own special era, and leave all the other movies for the Showa era. I feel like the original Godzilla is far too serious to be in a film series like this. This is not a complaint. I actually love the original Showa era, and feel like it needs more love from some. For the most part, the human characters are decent and the creative process is off the chart. It has some of my favorite movies from it, and favorite kaiju. While I like the Heisei series better, the Showa series will always be second to me. ;)
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

I don't necessarily hate the campier films, but I do have a harder time remembering some of them. But that's probably more due to how the plot moves than anything else. Godzilla vs. Megalon is campy as hell and I still enjoy it. Not a fan of the "Hero Godzilla theme;" it sounds like it was composed by someone inebriated at the time. The only campy Showa movie I hate is Godzilla's Revenge, and even then it's because what, 90% of the movie is stock footage? The Minya suit was pretty awful too. Also Minya talking. And I hate Minya. :lol:

GoodOlGoji
Samurai

Post by GoodOlGoji »

I feel like you're being way too serious if you deride Showa for cheesiness and camp.

Just about every movie after the original has been giant monster spectacle.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I honestly think "camply" can be used for good- I liked the Showa era for it. To me sometimes enough campyness and cheesyness can make a film just pure fun and awesomeness.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I honestly think "camply" can be used for good- I liked the Showa era for it. To me sometimes enough campyness and cheesyness can make a film just pure fun and awesomeness.
Same with me! The Showa era is often sterotyped as being a really bad series of films, which I disagree with. The films were too much fun to get mad at, and for the most part had pretty great plots.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.