Do you hate the showa series for being campy

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Hikari
GPN Volunteer

Re: Do you hate the showa series for being campy

Post by Hikari »

Nah, I'm too bias to hate any Godzilla film or era.
May or may have not just came here for the Ultra-Thread.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Descriptions like campy/cheesy/corny are used so often and incorrectly in regard to these films it's lost all meaning to me.
Western genre films just as good (or worse) get a free pass in areas, but when it comes to kaiju/toku works that's when reviewers try to be 'real' big boy critics and it's so dumb and misplaced.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Many of the Showa films are absolutely unwatchable garbage and there's no reason to pretend otherwise as a Godzilla fan.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Many of the Showa films are absolutely unwatchable garbage and there's no reason to pretend otherwise as a Godzilla fan.
For me the Showa era has a higher ratio of watchable films to garbage, then any other era.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

szmigiel wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Many of the Showa films are absolutely unwatchable garbage and there's no reason to pretend otherwise as a Godzilla fan.
For me the Showa era has a higher ratio of watchable films to garbage, then any other era.
Higher than the Monsterverse?
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I respect that opinion but please don't wrap every godzilla fan into it. I can't tell you the last time I watched a heisei era film or later besides RoG. I do however watch and enjoy the Showa series as it is my favorite series.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
I respect that opinion but please don't wrap every godzilla fan into it. I can't tell you the last time I watched a heisei era film or later besides RoG. I do however watch and enjoy the Showa series as it is my favorite series.
Everybody can believe whatever they want. There are no laws against being wrong.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:
Everybody can believe whatever they want. There are no laws against being wrong.
I'm wrong for liking a series? Do tell, I'm curious. :lol:

Let it be said the Showa series was a staple in my childhood. I was first introduced to the heisei era by way of crappy vhs bootlegs in Japanese with no subtitles. I prefer the storylines of the Showa series, I prefer the actors and characters of the Showa series, I prefer the musical scores of the Showa series. Simple enough explanation I think.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Higher than the Monsterverse?
So far yes

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

szmigiel wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Higher than the Monsterverse?
So far yes
Both of those movies are good. Cooked giant sea lobster and stock footage fests like Megalon and Gigan alone mean that it isn't as good as Monsterverse, because there were some bad movies. No ifs ands or buts about it I'm right again.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Both of those movies are good. Cooked giant sea lobster and stock footage fests like Megalon and Gigan alone mean that it isn't as good as Monsterverse, because there were some bad movies. No ifs ands or buts about it I'm right again.
So far both of those movies are mediocre.
The Showa era is 15 movies, while the Champion Festival films (1969-1975) are more campy, there are still plenty of good to excellent films.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

szmigiel wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Both of those movies are good. Cooked giant sea lobster and stock footage fests like Megalon and Gigan alone mean that it isn't as good as Monsterverse, because there were some bad movies. No ifs ands or buts about it I'm right again.
So far both of those movies are mediocre.
The Showa era is 15 movies, while the Champion Festival films (1969-1975) are more campy, there are still plenty of good to excellent films.
Nope, one fantastic film and one quite good one. Also it doesn't matter that the selection is wider, since we're talking about the "ratio"; your word not mine. If there are any crappy Showa films - even just one - it has a worse ratio than Monsterverse.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

So you picked two films out of 15. Bravo sir. A devastating blow for sure. :roll:

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Stevo_1985 wrote:So you picked two films out of 15. Bravo sir. A devastating blow for sure. :roll:
He's the one who brought up "ratio"s. If he wishes to correct himself now that's fine.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Nope, one fantastic film and one quite good one. Also it doesn't matter that the selection is wider, since we're talking about the "ratio"; your word not mine. If there are any crappy Showa films - even just one - it has a worse ratio than Monsterverse.
Glad you are enjoying the Monsterverse so far, for me it is 1/1 have to wait for another one to see if the ratio changes.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:So you picked two films out of 15. Bravo sir. A devastating blow for sure. :roll:
He's the one who brought up "ratio"s. If he wishes to correct himself now that's fine.
You need to add some substance to your opinion and drop the ego. What makes the Showa series so terrible? You pointed out 2 weak entries in the series of 15 total. The early Showa series are great films. 2 poor films don't define an entire series.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
You need to add some substance to your opinion and drop the ego. What makes the Showa series so terrible? You pointed out 2 weak entries in the series of 15 total. The early Showa series are great films. 2 poor films don't define an entire series.
There are some good Showa films, I haven't even disputed that. The point is that there are no awful Monsterverse films, while it is universally accepted that there are at least one or two awful Showa films, which means his "ratio" argument doesn't hold water.

Many Showas suck because 1. incomprehensible/nonsensical plots 2. zero character development 3. cornball effects and designs 4. just plain boring childishness. Not all of them suffer from these attributes; quite a few do.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Many Showas suck because 1. incomprehensible/nonsensical plots 2. zero character development 3. cornball effects and designs 4. just plain boring childishness. Not all of them suffer from these attributes; quite a few do.
Nonsensical plots aren't just limited to the Showa series. Same for character development. Heisei series being an exception. Cornball effects are just circumstantial. That's the technology they had. While the Showa series took a turn towards children that doesn't make them all bad. So while you may not like the Showa series which is fine, many fans do. A quick read through of this post would prove that.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
Nonsensical plots aren't just limited to the Showa series. Same for character development. Heisei series being an exception. Cornball effects are just circumstantial. That's the technology they had. While the Showa series took a turn towards children that doesn't make them all bad. So while you may not like the Showa series which is fine, many fans do. A quick read through of this post would prove that.
I meant there are several Showa films that have *all* of those flows at the same time.

Oh well. I'm just glad we will never see a Showa style Godzilla film ever again unless it's satirical like the excellent Final Wars.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Final Wars is an abomination.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla