Do you hate the showa series for being campy

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Re: Do you hate the showa series for being campy

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: What Showa movies debuted in Japan as the "B-movie" in a double billing? Meanwhile Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS were both released alongside Hamtaro movies. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Which Millennium movies were on MST3K? :lol: :lol:
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

That's a dumb argument when the show had no way of getting them. Also a dumb argument when that's only a small portion of the Showa films
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

This guy is already gorged from everyone taking his endless bait. Stop feeding him.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

The only Showa films that could possibly fall under the category of "camp" or "kitsch" are the Jun Fukuda films, and while his movies aren't exactly my favorites in the series, I still find something to enjoy about them. Even Megalon, somehow.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

InnocentClarke
Yojimbo

Post by InnocentClarke »

I think the Showa series as a whole is far from campy, though it certainly has its numerous little silly moments and even some full-fledged campy films. However, it's just too important (not to mention, entertaining) to hate, because both the Heisei and Millennium series took many elements from the Showa era. Sure, they did their own things with them, but it's blindingly obvious from where many of those films' elements derive. And, hell, how can you not love most of Godzilla's enemies from the Showa era? I mean, I even like Ebirah, Hedorah and, to some strange extent, Gabara (even though I don't consider AMA a Godzilla film. Megalon is perhaps the one enemy that I can't warm up to, now that I think about it, but I don't think he's terrible either. As far as I'm concerned, Showa gave us Gigan, and there's nothing to hate about something that gives you Gigan.

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

No not really, I like the Showa as it is. I will admit, some of the films can be a little to campy or cheesy. But the good ones outweigh the mediocre ones. Would Son of Godzilla or Godzilla vs Hedorah or Godzilla vs The Sea Monster count as campy? I really do enjoy them.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

The campy ones are fun if you don't feel like watching a dark Godzilla movie, or if you just want to laugh at the ridiculousness of them. I don't mind the campiness at all, but I will admit that you'll need to be in a certain mindset to properly enjoy them, I think.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Shoe Yeti
Ronin

Post by Shoe Yeti »

No way the Showa movies were fun! I don't think it was possible to continue to reproduce the dark feeling of the first Godzilla movie. Godzilla Raids Again tried it and it only half worked. The 1960s was a decade of optimism and you could see it in the kind of pop culture that was produced. The 1966 Batman TV series, the James Bond movies that were really fun and not as dark as modern spy thrillers are. Things started to change in the 1970s and the series unfortunately ended with the underrated Terror of Mechagodzilla. I think if you watch the Showa films and keep in mind when they were made they are more enjoyable.
Last edited by Shoe Yeti on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.