The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-5)

Post by _JNavs_ »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:God I can't wait to reap the salt of the fanboys when Dominion grosses more than the last two star wars movies did.
I mean, even if Dominion happens to be bad, it can't be any worse than what SW has become right now. :lol:
You say that until this is the ending.

That is awesome :lol:
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:God I can't wait to reap the salt of the fanboys when Dominion grosses more than the last two star wars movies did.
I mean, even if Dominion happens to be bad, it can't be any worse than what SW has become right now. :lol:
You say that until this is the ending.

Bah Gawd...

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I'm just excited to see Sam Neil back. I love Alan Grant so much. One of my childhood heroes.

I hope covid 19 doesn't prevent him and the other older cast members from returning in major roles
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

It blows me away that the subreddits who go to bat for Jurassic Park 3 are acting like Jurassic World is killing the franchise when that movie put the franchise on ice for over a decade.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

gottatalktothefake wrote:It blows me away that the subreddits who go to bat for Jurassic Park 3 are acting like Jurassic World is killing the franchise when that movie put the franchise on ice for over a decade.
The first Jurassic World was bad, but i thought the second one pretty cool.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The only Jurassic Park film I legitimately like is the original. Its also the only one I've ever rewatched, so take that for what its worth.

JW1 however, did have kind of a mindless fun to it. I remember walking out of it and thinking "If I were 7 years old, I'd have loved it" so it has that kind of appeal to it. And JP2, despite a multitude of flaws, has its moments.

But this is a brand that just never worked as a series of films, at least for me. It kind of became in the 90s and 00s what Jaws was in the 70s and 80s. Great original...increasingly worse sequels.
Last edited by GojiDog on Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GojiDog wrote:But this is a brand that just never worked as a series of films, at least for me. It kind of became in the 90s and 00s what Jaws was in the 70s and 80s. Great original...increasingly worse sequels.
Yup. I'm of the opinion that the only really creatively worthwhile approach to a Jurassic Park sequel would be one that totally broke the mold of the first movie. Anything else will almost inevitably just feel like an echo.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Still stand by the only real Jurassic Park film i hate is FK. JP3 has that weird "so bad it's good feel to it" and at least it didn't skreoonk up the lore as much.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote:
GojiDog wrote:But this is a brand that just never worked as a series of films, at least for me. It kind of became in the 90s and 00s what Jaws was in the 70s and 80s. Great original...increasingly worse sequels.
Yup. I'm of the opinion that the only really creatively worthwhile approach to a Jurassic Park sequel would be one that totally broke the mold of the first movie. Anything else will almost inevitably just feel like an echo.
Conversely, considering every single franchise I consider myself to be a fan of, Jurassic Park is the only one where I legitimately like every single installment.

Not even Godzilla can claim that feat.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Conversely, considering every single franchise I consider myself to be a fan of, Jurassic Park is the only one where I legitimately like every single installment.

Ah. Whereas, personally, in order for me to be a fan of a series/franchise as a whole, it has to reinvent itself enough that it will inevitably produce individual entries that I don't like.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

GojiDog wrote:The only Jurassic Park film I legitimately like is the original. Its also the only one I've ever rewatched, so take that for what its worth.

JPW1 however, did have kind of a mindless fun to it. I remember walking out of it and thinking "If I were 7 years old, I'd have loved it" so it has that kind of appeal to it. And JP2, despite a multitude of flaws, has its moments.

But this is a brand that just never worked as a series of films, at least for me. It kind of became in the 90s and 00s what Jaws was in the 70s and 80s. Great original...increasingly worse sequels.
Yeah. You're right.

I think what I'm disappointed most is they've moved away from practical effects, inspired on scene locations, and the lighting that made the first movie so good. It's much more action and comedy focused too. I still remember those blue lights shining through the windows.

If I was in charge of this series, I would let the series go on hiatus for about 15-20 years and make a television series faithful to the two novels. Down to Alan Grant having a beard, Ian Malcolm being a nerd resembling Michael Crichton, Gennaro being a badass, and Dodgson being a psychopath. Also, updating the dinosaurs to have feathers and fit the designs real dinosaurs as close as possible.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Wed May 27, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
GojiDog wrote:The only Jurassic Park film I legitimately like is the original. Its also the only one I've ever rewatched, so take that for what its worth.

JPW1 however, did have kind of a mindless fun to it. I remember walking out of it and thinking "If I were 7 years old, I'd have loved it" so it has that kind of appeal to it. And JP2, despite a multitude of flaws, has its moments.

Yeah. You're right.

I think what I'm disappointed most is they've moved away from practical effects, inspired on scene locations, and the lighting that made the first movie so good. It's much more action and comedy focused too. I still remember those blue lights shining through the windows.

If I was in charge of this series, I would let the series go on hiatus for about 15-20 years and make a television series faithful to the two novels. Down to Alan Grant having a beard, Ian Malcolm being a nerd resembling Michael Crichton, Gennaro being a badass, and Dodgson being a psychopath. Also, updating the dinosaurs to have feathers and fit the designs real dinosaurs as close as possible.
Personally I'd rather we just left Jurassic Park alone. Like the Lost World, it's a product of it's time and should be now used as a window into how dinosaurs were viewed at that time. I'm against telling the same story with updated dinosaurs because while the dinosaurs will be more accurate, the science will not be. You can't find dinosaur DNA in fossilised insects, just like there is no isolated plateau were they could still exist.

What I'd much proffer is a modern story, with more accurate dinosaurs and more accurate science. A story with say, genetically created dinosaurs based the originals as close as possible. The sad fact is that, without time travel or possibly traveling to an alternate dimension, we are never going to see a true, original dinosaur in all it's glory. Thats the ultimate tragedy of their extinction.
Last edited by Monster X on Wed May 27, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Monster X wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:

Yeah. You're right.

Personally I'd rather we just left Jurassic Park alone. Like the Lost World, it's a product of it's time and should be now used as a window into how dinosaurs were viewed at that time. I'm against telling the same story with updated dinosaurs because while the dinosaurs will be more accurate, the science will not be. You can't find dinosaur DNA in fossilised insects, just like there is no isolated plateau were they could still exist.

What I'd much proffer is a modern story, with more accurate dinosaurs and more accurate science. A story with say, genetically created dinosaurs based the originals as close as possible. The sad fact is that, without time travel or possibly traveling to an alternate dimension, we are never going to see a true, original dinosaur in all it's glory. Thats the ultimate tragedy of their extinction.
I wouldn't call it a tragedy - if they didn't go extinct, we wouldn't have evolved. Our early ancestors would have been dino chow.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Apparently, Camp Cretaceous is very similar to the original script of JPIII, with both plots involving a group of teenagers stranded on one of the Five Deaths and working together to survive.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Apparently, Camp Cretaceous is very similar to the original script of JPIII, with both plots involving a group of teenagers stranded on one of the Five Deaths and working together to survive.
Hopefully it won't be so bad we'll want to throw it in the trash like Joe Johnston did with that script

RIP Evan.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Some interesting bits on the shelved JP:Chaos Effect animated series that was planned to coincide with the rather controversial toyline.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

eabaker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Ah. Whereas, personally, in order for me to be a fan of a series/franchise as a whole, it has to reinvent itself enough that it will inevitably produce individual entries that I don't like.
That is an interesting thought....but it is hard when you come to the realization that there are more movies in the series you dislike or don't care for than there are entries that you genuinely love. A trilogy with a weak middle is one thing. A 10+ film series with like....3-4 classics is a problem. It is convenient when you can easily skip or ignore certain entries and it doesn't impact the flow or quality of the series at all.

These days I skip Jurassic Park III entirely and don't even consider it a genuine part of the franchise in my book. On my last marathon I realized quickly how much of an oddity it is in the series and completely flipped my tune on which I prefer between it and The Lost World.

I love Grant and Ellie and it is nothing against any of the people involved in the film, it seems very much like it was a mess of a development process and then they just pulled the trigger and made SOMETHING.

No Spielberg directing, No Chrichton novel or involvement even driving the genesis of the plot, no Williams composing, and the naming scheme is completely inconsistent with the larger franchise.

If you drop Jurassic Park III entirely....you have two separate films with Jurassic Park and a continuation in The Lost World. The Lost World expands the lore, progresses the story, moves things forward in an interesting way. They are a 2-part kind of story, they aren't 2 pieces of a 'trilogy'

So then you follow that 2-part story many years later with a Jurassic World Trilogy. It creates a fun name progression, Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and then Jurassic World as the sequel trilogy to both of those films...sort of combining the two.

It is also fun because it kind of creates an interesting 5-film structure. Jurassic World being the 'center', with The Lost World and Fallen Kingdom very much 'mirroring' each other in some interesting plot/structure ways, and we've been told in several ways that Dominion is going to be closest in tone to the original, and it is coming full circle with the original cast.

It creates that classic sort of Ring Structure of ABCBA. Jurassic Park and Dominion correlate, The Lost World and Fallen Kingdom Correlate, and Jurassic World is the center entry. You almost have 2 trilogies with only 5 films. 3 films that share continuity and etc but are each telling their own story with JP, TLW, and JW, but then you also have a JW trilogy.

We just need Dominion to make zero references to any of the events of the 3rd film. Sure, all of the viral marketing and expanded lore stuff acknowledging it is fine, but if none of the films explicitly reference it, I can keep pretending it doesn't exist :)
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

^Well you can keep pretending JP3 didn't happen all you want but it's been confirmed time over that it's still canon so... kinda lose out there. :?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It makes sense for Grant to reference it, he was actually there. That said referring to it in Jurassic World or Fallen Kingdom makes no sense. It makes more sense in Dominion but the events are so inconsequential to the overarching plot of the rest of the films so referencing it or not makes little narrative impact. That's my problem with JP3, it just doesn't add anything new.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

tyrantgoji wrote:^Well you can keep pretending JP3 didn't happen all you want but it's been confirmed time over that it's still canon so... kinda lose out there. :?
I don't have a problem with it being "officially canon", ultimately that doesn't really mean anything person-to-person. Fallen Kingdom has lines of dialogue that specifically reference The Lost World. So far, the Jurassic World trilogy hasn't done anything to explicitly reference JP3, MAYBE Dominion will....and if it does, then I would have to include it in my marathon.

But if they continue to ignore/not acknowledge it....then any viewer is free to do the same.

I grew up liking the movie more than The Lost World, I liked the short runtime and fast pace....but watching it recently....it doesn't deserve to be in the series. MY opinion, of course.

And yes, the fact that it adds nothing and is completely separated from the rest of the films pretty much annexes it and makes it very easy to ignore and forget about.

Like I said....MAYBE Dominion might make an overt reference to Grant's adventure in that movie....but frankly they don't need to, it would only be there for a fun callback, and it isn't obligated. Depending on exactly what the story of Dominion is and what the roles of the original characters are, there might not be any reason to reference anything from that movie. Something tells me Trevorrow will be content not referencing it.....but maybe he'll put something in for fun.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."