Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Gigantis »

Well, that looked liked a big pile of nothing notweorthy.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Eh it looks alright to me. Certainly way better than the Godzilla trilogy in terms of colors and dynamic.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It looks like a completely unrelated mecha anime with Pacific Rim iconography thrown all over the place. Nothing about this feels like Pacific Rim to me.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I personally am much more excited for this than Singular Point. March 4 can't come soon enough!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Looks good but I agree with everyone else that this just doesn't feel like Pacific Rim.

Wait, is that white-haired kid at the Breach? Also, kaiju-on-kaiju combat? Finally!
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I'll give it a chance, the story seems intriguing and I certainly don't dislike Polygon's animation as much as others. It's honestly a little alarming how hard fans dropped Pac Rim after Uprising. I mean as lame as that movie turned out to be if Legendary is really up to continuing the series I'm all for it.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

your source of self destruction

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

It looks good, but I'll agree with the others: it looks more like Evangelion or the countless other mech anime than Pacific Rim, but hey, after Uprising, I'll take what I can get at this point.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

KManX89 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:39 pm It looks good, but I'll agree with the others: it looks more like Evangelion or the countless other mech anime than Pacific Rim, but hey, after Uprising, I'll take what I can get at this point.
I mean, big robot punch big monster. only so much can be done
your source of self destruction

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

master_of_monsters wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:45 pm
KManX89 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:39 pm It looks good, but I'll agree with the others: it looks more like Evangelion or the countless other mech anime than Pacific Rim, but hey, after Uprising, I'll take what I can get at this point.
I mean, big robot punch big monster. only so much can be done
It kinda loses its unique feel going from live-action to anime, but I get what you're saying.

It's too bad they dropped the ball on Uprising because the first Pacific Rim was great.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I'll say Uprising and The Black definitely lack the uniquely del Toro 'goth tech' look used on the first film (and most of his work). You think they'd go after that but I guess not.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

The new posters reveal heads of the new kaiju. One is glowing red interestingly enough.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

imposterzilla wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:50 am The new posters reveal heads of the new kaiju. One is glowing red interestingly enough.
I mean, we know that blue isn't the only glow. Trespasser, in stark contrast to his successors Knifehead and Scunner, glows orange.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I like the more Striker Eureka looking main mech but the teal/orange paintjob is really garish.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

tbeasley wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:21 pm It's honestly a little alarming how hard fans dropped Pac Rim after Uprising. I mean as lame as that movie turned out to be if Legendary is really up to continuing the series I'm all for it.
This. Although to be fair, the lack of enthusiasm is probably also due to PR:U flopping. We haven't heard any news about a sequel beyond this anime, and it seems unlikely, for the moment, that the franchise will continue. Maybe this show will do well and change that, but the trailer doesn't fill me with confidence. I'll still give it a shot, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:06 am
tbeasley wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:21 pm It's honestly a little alarming how hard fans dropped Pac Rim after Uprising. I mean as lame as that movie turned out to be if Legendary is really up to continuing the series I'm all for it.
This. Although to be fair, the lack of enthusiasm is probably also due to PR:U flopping. We haven't heard any news about a sequel beyond this anime, and it seems unlikely, for the moment, that the franchise will continue. Maybe this show will do well and change that, but the trailer doesn't fill me with confidence. I'll still give it a shot, though.
Personally I never "dropped" Pacific Rim, I just had zero interest in seeing the first one besmirched by a generic blockbuster. The fact is WB/Legendary had something that could have been a franchise but have no clue on what made the first film special. And echoing JAG, the PR: Black trailer didn't exactly get my jellies quivering. Here's hoping it's good though.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Quite honestly i just have a hard time trying to be excited for the franchise after Uprising's total flop and just driving the series into another generic mecha beat-im-up. The Black being produced by Polygon of all companies does not help matters.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I'm not expecting much in terms of plot. But maybe it'll gain some ground.

The thing is Mech series don't really do to well compared to other animes these days.

The only way this series could redeem uprising is by focusing yet again on the worldbuilding instead of just mechs vs kaiju.

The thing that drew people into PR or any franchise tbh is the world building. If the world feels alive an open we feel a part of it.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

New trailer. Really seems interesting that the continent was abandoned.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

"THE BLACK IS VIOLENCE"

Okay, then.