WARNING FROM SPACE (56) from Arrow

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Re: WARNING FROM SPACE (56) from Arrow

Post by Terasawa »

Tamura wrote:One of the Toho LDs of Rodan has scene by scene color correction unlike Toho's HD version.
Oh my god that's depressing.
Resized Image

Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Terasawa wrote:
Tamura wrote:One of the Toho LDs of Rodan has scene by scene color correction unlike Toho's HD version.
Are Laserdiscs region locked? Because that might be a good reason to get myself a laserdisc player lol

It honestly makes me hate copyright law so much that in 2020 these old classic Toho kaiju films cannot have a good quality legal Bluray release and it is all because Toho just doesen't seem to care. The people who actually care about film restoration should be able to restore these films themselves with professional equipment without Toho being able to stop it.

I would love to see how Rodan looked with normal color timing and a proper restoration.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Terasawa wrote:
Tell me about it. Total slop job. Godzilla vs. Megalon had the same treatment - color corrected LD, no color correction in the HD master. Why did they get so lazy? Color timing is a normal ass job in post production, you telling me they couldn't get someone to do scene by scene color for their forever masters of some of their most revered classics? Cheapskates.
Last edited by Tamura on Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I guess that's what happens when you decide to remaster 28 films in, what, a matter of months? I forget the dates from the documentary
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Latest project: Godzilla 1985 35mm hybrid reconstruction
Current project: Stay tuned for details

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Finally got around to watching this after picking it up last month. Good to see the film in HD finally. Wasn't a fan of the color changed and "pulsing" in the middle of the film. Was really distracting. Also Galbraith gives a decent commentary but its a "scene select" commentary which ends a good 15 minutes before the movie ends. Guess he ran out of things to say? An ok release considering all the shitty releases I've seen through the years.
Last edited by Godzilla21 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

I bought the Blu-ray the other day and just gave it a watch. Apart from those weird color issues in the middle, the release itself is of pretty great quality, nice picture and everything. The movie itself... kind of a mixed bag. Almost literally; I got the impression that maybe it started life as two different projects that were awkwardly cobbled together. I was on board with the alien arrival plot all the way up until the reveal of the rogue planet, at which point the aliens proceeded to almost vanish from what became a clunky disaster movie story, playing no part until they quickly rescue the professor and shoot off the bomb. Heck, they don't even get any kind of send off at the end. It felt like the whole rogue planet element could and should have been its own movie, with the professor and his formula playing a more central role along the lines of what we saw with the Oxygen Destroyer.

The kidnapping/rescue plot was handled fairly stupidly, too. The kidnappers just disappear after apparently failing to 'make him talk', and the Pairans were pretty useless rescuers; like seriously, couldn't they have flown/teleported the professor to the observatory, or anywhere? They just left him to somehow survive in the streets where we'd seen dogs and birds dropping dead and goldfish boiling in their bowl. How in the world did he pull that trip off after being beaten and tied to a chair for days? :lol:

And while I quite liked the evacuation scene itself, what was the point of evacuating Tokyo? Where did everyone go? Would've been nice if they'd explained that.

On the positive side, the Pairans were cool. Yeah, their costumes could've been better, but I liked their initial attempts to make contact, and the scene aboard their ship was handled well. They don't just speak Japanese, and they are surprised and dismayed at humanity's reaction to their appearance. It was a nice touch that they consider humans ugly, too; a lot of the aliens in this genre seem to think of themselves as aliens and monsters, which is nonsensical. The 'transmutation' scene was done well, too.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:26 am Heck, they don't even get any kind of send off at the end. It felt like the whole rogue planet element could and should have been its own movie, with the professor and his formula playing a more central role along the lines of what we saw with the Oxygen Destroyer.

The kidnapping/rescue plot was handled fairly stupidly, too. The kidnappers just disappear after apparently failing to 'make him talk', and the Pairans were pretty useless rescuers; like seriously, couldn't they have flown/teleported the professor to the observatory, or anywhere? They just left him to somehow survive in the streets where we'd seen dogs and birds dropping dead and goldfish boiling in their bowl. How in the world did he pull that trip off after being beaten and tied to a chair for days? :lol:
The Pairans get a "send off" in the US version. They simply reverse the transformation scene. I actually quite like this scene and I thought it was a good addition to the US version.

And I agree on the kidnapper story. I went back a few times on the disc to see if I had missed a scene where the kidnappers bailed and there was nothing. Not even in the US version. Also interesting to note is the US version they state that the professor has been missing for a month, while the Japanese version says he's been missing a few days which makes more sense. If he had been missing for a month then the kidnappers must have been giving him water and food. I only ever saw the US version growing up so I assumed based on the "month" dialogue they had been caring for him but simply weren't there when the Pairans saved him. But the Japanese version makes it clear it had just been a few days. So I assume they probably rushed out in a hurry due to some kind of calamity and never came back? Either way doesn't make sense.
SpaceG92 wrote:

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

I just recently saw one copy of this Blu-ray at my local FYE in the front shelves of the store for a little over $35.00.

Now if I can just get it before someone else realizes what it is and gets it first, that'll be great! Unfortunately, however, I've got a few other things I've got to take care of first.

canofhumdingers
G-Force Personnel

Post by canofhumdingers »

It’s available online from places like Amazon or Best Buy for less.
“Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind.”
~The Doctor

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:01 pm It’s available online from places like Amazon or Best Buy for less.
Thanks, but I don't know how to order anything online and even if I did, I can't.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

How on Earth did you manage to make a forum account

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:29 pm How on Earth did you manage to make a forum account
I had help from my dad.

As I've stated before, 1. I'm broke and out of a job, so I can't afford to buy anything online anyway, even if I did know how to do it and 2. my parents won't buy or sell anything online because they're afraid of identity theft.

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

Well, I should have the cash to buy this film from my local FYE on Wed. Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:05 pm Well, I should have the cash to buy this film from my local FYE on Wed. Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted.
Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy has been funded!!
https://www.gofundme.com/f/finish-subbi ... are-flow-1
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

My local FYE just died last week. So sad to see these stores closing
SpaceG92 wrote:

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

I got it and it's a first printing copy, booklet and all! Is that great or what?

Now if my local FYE can just get the 2-in-1 Blu-ray of The Invisible Man Appears/The Invisible Man vs. the Human Fly on March 16, I'll be all set (at least for now)!

And believe me, I know about FYEs dying out: after all is said and done, I've only got one left in the Palm Beach County, FL area and it's the one I got this Blu-ray from at my local mall.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:58 am, edited 5 times in total.