WARNING FROM SPACE (56) from Arrow

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: WARNING FROM SPACE (56) from Arrow

Post by MaxRebo320 »

God, the reviewer's take on the movie is pretty awful. But the screengrabs are nice (Which is all I go to a site like that for anyways). Looks like a decent release.
Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy has been funded!!
https://www.gofundme.com/f/finish-subbi ... are-flow-1
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Yeah, seriously. Do we really need to continue subjecting major Japanese studio pictures from the 50s with high cultural and technological importance to brain dead Ed Wood comparisons? And I have no clue where they got the objectively false information about the film "never (receiving) much of an official theatrical exhibition in its native Japan". What a moron.
Last edited by Tamura on Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I mean, I won't deny the film bears similarities to other movies like The Day the Earth Stood Still and When Worlds Collide (The former certainly handles its themes a little better) and the Pairans are pretty goofy looking to modern US audiences (That said, they're still fun designs). But when you take into account this was the first Japanese attempt at replicating movies like those, I'd say its commendable, and certainly not filled with "rampant stupidity" on-par with Ed Wood's work (Seriously?). Hell, part of me wonders if this were say, a British or even Russian production from the same time, the reviewer would somehow be a lot more positive towards it.
Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy has been funded!!
https://www.gofundme.com/f/finish-subbi ... are-flow-1
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

You're absolutely right - from what I've heard, It was the Japanese version of The Day the Earth Stood Still (first version), just like Gappa the Triphibian Monster was the Japanese version of Gorgo.

Kaiju-King42
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaiju-King42 »

I haven't seen Warning from Space, but I'd have a hard time believing that its message is any more poorly handled than The Day the Earth Stood Still's.
JAGzilla wrote: Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

GTFOH, that's one of the great science fiction films.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

Kaiju-King42
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaiju-King42 »

Terasawa wrote:GTFOH, that's one of the great science fiction films.
Yeah, sure it is, but it's also horrifically pro-authoritarian. It's especially apparent in today's political climate. A police force with absolute power, like Gort? That's the Trump administration's wet dream.

Seriously, listen to that climactic speech with current events in mind.

I'll go out on a limb and assume that Warning from Space wouldn't make me feel nearly as queasy, no matter how bungled the message about nuclear weapons might be.
JAGzilla wrote: Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:GTFOH, that's one of the great science fiction films.
Yeah, sure it is, but it's also horrifically pro-authoritarian. It's especially apparent in today's political climate. A police force with absolute power, like Gort? That's the Trump administration's wet dream.

Seriously, listen to that climactic speech with current events in mind.

I'll go out on a limb and assume that Warning from Space wouldn't make me feel nearly as queasy, no matter how bungled the message about nuclear weapons might be.
I assure you, that wasn't the intention of Klaatu's final speech before he and Gort left Earth as far as I can see, and I've seen the film more than once. Remember, he also said, in that same speech, "We do not pretend to have achieved perfection...but we have developed a system - and it works."

He was addressing we humans' tendency to use aggression to solve all the world's problems and the possibility - no, the probability - that it will eventually come back to bite us on the backside in the end.

That film was released during the time of the Cold War. The saddest part of it all is, after all this time, its message is still relevant today. C'mon, people. Let's get our act together.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:05 am, edited 7 times in total.

Kaiju Jackalope
Ronin

Post by Kaiju Jackalope »

Mine arrived today from Diabolik. They jumped the gun a bit on that release date.
Last edited by Kaiju Jackalope on Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I think they often do; a good deal of smaller retailers seem to send out orders whenever they get their stock, without regard for the official street date.
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Latest project: Godzilla 1985 35mm hybrid reconstruction
Current project: Stay tuned for details

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES

Purzel2205
Yojimbo

Post by Purzel2205 »

Is there a particular reason why Arrow used the Spanish poster as the alternative cover instead of the original Japanese one? I thought Arrow always uses the original poster as the alt cover, but I guess not
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings All,

I just got me WFS Arrow BRD delivered. I'm still working, so no time to watch it just yet, but reading the description and contents I am excited to watch this. I cannot believe that until now, the only way to see this film in English was a dubious release from Alpha DVD that was clearly just someone projecting a film print and copying it to DVD. (you can see the frame lol...).

Also this is my first single release purchase from Arrow. I love that it comes in a Beefy non-blue, non environmentally friendly, BRD case :lol:
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Just got this from Bullmoose yesterday. I watched a little bit of it last night. The video quality is clear and detailed, but also most shots have high levels of grain. That is probably due to the nature of color film stock at the time and color films from Japan tend to have that same look such as Rodan (speaking of Rodan, would anyone have ever guessed that Warming From Space would get a Bluray release in America before it? The sad fact is that due to Toho's terrible policies that even if that seminal kaiju film does get a NA Bluray release it will probably look worse than this).

The only other part of this release that I have checked out is the trailers. Which while they are nice to have, they clearly have not been restored (which is too bad). Still, this looks like a great release and I can't wait to check it out more.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

That's not the color stock at all. And I don't see the similarity to Rodan at all, they're both bad transfers in different ways (WFS is a noisy transfer of a bad element and Rodan is an extremely soft, flat raw with no color correction). They were shot on the same, imported film stock - Eastman 5248, which nearly all American color films from 1952 to 1959 were shot on. Both films should look equal to any of the great American movies shot on that stock - the Japanese DPs on these old color films were just as skilled, if not more skilled than the American DPs, and in America they were so regarded. Find contemporary American reviews of Gate of Hell and you'll see what I'm saying.

The color timing or lack thereof does not reflect how they originally looked. The WFS material is obviously really faded and might even have some built-in processing issues that have messed with the density of the image over the years. I'm sure the brown look is inaccurate. I don't see how it serves any narrative purpose. This film would have likely been given a routine color timing job, just like any other film from the time - correct skin tones and accurate neutrals. There was very little you could do in terms of photochemical timing then, anyway. The red lighting/tinting at the end is an obviously intentional color effect but the scenes of people talking in a yellow-tinted room with off-white lab coats just looks like yellow faded film.
Last edited by Tamura on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 am, edited 14 times in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Just ordered mine too. Always had a soft spot for this film. I had one of those public domain DVDs for years but its since disappeared. I've been able to watch it for free on a lot of those horror channels on Roku (in terrible VHS quality) but I am glad to have it in HD now.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

If people want to see a proper presentation of a Japanese film from 1956 shot on Eastman 5248 that shows the full range of the stock, find a copy of Madame White Snake.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

Tamura wrote:If people want to see a proper presentation of a Japanese film from 1956 shot on Eastman 5248 that shows the full range of the stock, find a copy of Madame White Snake.
What about Samurai III? That's at least more accessible in the West (for the anti-piracy people). I just can't speak to the accuracy of the presentation.

https://www.blu-ray.com/Samurai-III-Due ... creenshots
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

That's a good example, too, though some screenshots seem a little pale. And again, Gate of Hell - also Eastman 5248. A lot of these old Japanese color films got faulty transfers or transfers of bad elements and then people think it's the look of the film, but it's not. Full color stocks were never designed to have inaccurate color reproduction. There can be subtle differences between different color stocks, like Agfacolor and Eastman color, but the big differences you see between films have to do with lighting and timing. And sometimes the timing is bad, or the physical film material has color stability issues. This is not unique to Japanese films.

I cited Madame White Snake because they did everything with that stock in the film - all kinds of lighting and environmental conditions, lots of use of diegetic and non-diegetic tints, etc. It's a film that was clearly designed for color and to exploit the full range of the stock. And because there is a good transfer of it.
Last edited by Tamura on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:10 am, edited 11 times in total.

Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Tamura wrote:That's not the color stock at all. And I don't see the similarity to Rodan at all, they're both bad transfers in different ways (WFS is a noisy transfer of a bad element and Rodan is an extremely soft, flat raw with no color correction). They were shot on the same, imported film stock - Eastman 5248, which nearly all American color films from 1952 to 1959 were shot on. Both films should look equal to any of the great American movies shot on that stock - the Japanese DPs on these old color films were just as skilled, if not more skilled than the American DPs, and in America they were so regarded. Find contemporary American reviews of Gate of Hell and you'll see what I'm saying.

The color timing or lack thereof does not reflect how they originally looked. The WFS material is obviously really faded and might even have some built-in processing issues that have messed with the density of the image over the years. I'm sure the brown look is inaccurate. I don't see how it serves any narrative purpose. This film would have likely been given a routine color timing job, just like any other film from the time - correct skin tones and accurate neutrals. There was very little you could do in terms of photochemical timing then, anyway. The red lighting/tinting at the end is an obviously intentional color effect but the scenes of people talking in a yellow-tinted room with off-white lab coats just looks like yellow faded film.
Hmm, so is what I thought was film grain actually digital noise from the film scanner? I thought that it looked like it was digital noise rather than film grain when I was watching it, but I did not know that could be something that could happen during the transfer process.

It is too bad that this transfer has these issues, but I guess Arrow did the best with what they were given.

Also, haven't watched Rodan in a while so my memory of the transfer might not be 100 percent accurate, but it sounds like both films have issues with color timing not being accurate to what audiences would have seen in the original release of the films.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

The color stocks kept getting replaced by finer grained stocks, so I'm not expecting this film to have the kind of fine grained structure seen in '60s Eastman films. But the noise here, to my eye, resembles sensor noise. There could have been some sharpening that magnified the noise inherent to the sensor. I can tell the sharpness was cranked up on the early Gamera films' transfers (nothing Arrow did, it's baked in). The color fluctuations are also very distracting and make studying the grain/noise difficult.

But yeah, digital noise in transfers isn't uncommon. Not all sensors give you a completely clean image that looks like a 1:1 representation of the material in digital form. Some have trouble getting anything but murky, noisy details out of very opaque material - like an overexposed negative or shadows in a print with a lot of contrast.

Most scanners are built specifically to scan well-exposed camera negative, not stuff like low-con prints (where the lab work wasn't even standardized) or overexposed negative. So sometimes the results can look like when you try to take a picture with your phone in the dark. You're trying to extract information that the sensor could just barely detect. The results depend on the material and the sensor and the person operating it, some are better combinations than others. And as I said, sharpening can reveal sensor noise.

One of the Toho LDs of Rodan has scene by scene color correction unlike Toho's HD version.
Last edited by Tamura on Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 12 times in total.