WARNING FROM SPACE (56) from Arrow

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
heiseigodzilla425
Samurai

Re: WARNING FROM SPACE (56) from Arrow

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

mikelcho wrote:Who knows? Maybe even the Daimajin trilogy and the Yokai Monsters trilogy?
During the Kaiju Con-line Gamera boxset panel, James Flower specifically said that they won't be doing the Yokai Monsters trilogy because Kadokawa only has an HD master for one of the movies.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

Baah that sucks. Those movies are fantastic.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:Baah that sucks. Those movies are fantastic.
You're right, that does suck. I really wanted to see that trilogy.

Oh well, there's always the Daimajin trilogy and the other six Daiei tokusatsu films that have been mentioned already on pg. 1.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Baah that sucks. Those movies are fantastic.
You're right, that does suck. I really wanted to see that trilogy.

Oh well, there's always the Daimajin trilogy and the other Daiei tokusatsu films.
If you're desperate to see them, they're on Archive.org, although the quality leaves something to be desired. Owning them on Blu-ray would be preferable, of course, but this is the best way to see them unless you want to buy the expensive OOP DVDs.

Resized Image

Angilasman
Interpol Agent

Post by Angilasman »

Hopefully Kadokawa will do HD transfers themselves for Blu-ray or TV/streaming before to long and then we'll get the Yokai movies here.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

Angilasman wrote:Hopefully Kadokawa will do HD transfers themselves for Blu-ray or TV/streaming before to long and then we'll get the Yokai movies here.
Hopefully Kadokawa took notice if Arrow inquired about them.

Resized Image

green tint
Young Farmer

Post by green tint »

James Flower also mentioned on the kaiju con-line stream that they relied on Japanese blu ray remasters for their releases. I haven't looked at it in awhile, but I pre-ordered the Jpn blu ray when that came out a year or two ago and I remember it being very good.

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

Is it possible for the first entry in "Next From Arrow Video: WARNING FROM SPACE" could be moved over here? I'm sure everyone'll want to see both the picture of it and the contents.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

mikelcho wrote:Is it possible for the first entry in "Next From Arrow Video: WARNING FROM SPACE" could be moved over here? I'm sure everyone'll want to see both the picture of it and the contents.
Is that really necessary? All you need to do is just go to the first page of this topic and you'll see them right there. ;)
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

I didn't see the cover art until now, but the contents aren't there yet.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

mikelcho wrote:I didn't see the cover art until now, but the contents aren't there yet.
Um...yes they are.
Joseph Goodman wrote:A pre-order page for the UK disc has appeared: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DST1VJL

Coming October 12
The first Japanese science fiction film to be made in colour, Koji Shima s Warning From Space features eye-popping special effects from the same team at Daiei Studios that would bring Gamera to life a decade later.

As Japan is rocked by mysterious sightings of UFOs over Tokyo and large one-eyed aliens attempting contact, scientists collaborate to investigate the unexpected rise in extraterrestrial activity. Unbeknownst to them, one of the aliens has already assumed human form and is about to deliver a very important message that could be humanity s last hope for survival.

With a witty script by Hideo Oguni (screenwriter of several Akira Kurosawa classics including Seven Samurai) and iconic starfish-like aliens designed by avant-garde artist Taro Okamoto, the original Japanese version of Warning From Space finally makes its official English-language video debut.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original uncompressed Japanese mono audio
Optional newly translated English subtitles
Brand new commentary by Stuart Galbraith IV, author of Monsters Are Attacking Tokyo!
First-ever HD transfer of the American release version of the film, including a newly restored English dub track
Theatrical trailers
Image galleries
Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector s booklet featuring an essay on artist Taro Okamoto by Japanese art historian Nick West, and an essay on the production of the American edit of the film by David Cairns
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

Sorry, I didn't see that either until now.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

mikelcho wrote:Sorry, I didn't see that either until now.
No worries. :)

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

I'm compelled to purchase this simply because the only version I've seen (and couldn't even stand to watch all of it) is the Alpha Video DVD in which it is clear someone simply took a film print, projected it on a screen, and pointed a video camera at it , you can even see the outlines of the film's frame in picture! This will be quite literally like seeing the movie for the first time.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

Well, I'm definitely going to get this one! This'll be a good replacement from my Sinister Cinema release and it should be lesser priced than Gamera: The Complete Collection as the latter stands now.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I mean... I would hope, for Arrow's sake. I can't picture a lot of people paying hundreds of dollars for Warning From Space. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

Why's there any question as to price? Joseph posted a link to an official pre-order on the last page.

And it will absolutely be superior to Sinister Cinema's product. I appreciate Sinister for making available some films that are otherwise unavailable, but their DVDs (actually DVD-Rs) are objectively awful.

Resized Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote:Well, I'm definitely going to get this one! This'll be a good replacement from my Sinister Cinema release and it should be lesser priced than Gamera: The Complete Collection as the latter stands now.
No poop, it's one movie compared to a collection of twelve. This shouldn't even be in question.

Also yeah, what Terasawa said.

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

I know what you're both talking about. Technically, the Sinister Cinema releases are only temporary until official releases are available, and this new release of Warning from Space definitely fits that category.

And to tell you guys the truth, I've never had any trouble with past purchases from this company. On the contrary, what I've seen has been pretty good, all things considered. For example, one of director Fred Olen Ray's early films, The Brain Leeches, was made and finished in 1978, but was unreleased until 2003, 25 years later, when Sinister Cinema finally released it with Ray's blessing - and it's only available through them. And I've seen it (on VHS; I hope to get it on DVD someday), it's an excellent little "so-bad-it's-good" sci-fi film! I wouldn't have even known about it if it weren't for them!
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

As I said, I have no faults with Sinister for selling films that are otherwise hard or impossible to obtain. (Theirs is literally the only way to see The Merciless Trap.) But their DVDs suck: you can only do so much with some of the materials they have, but their disc encodes are truly awful.

Added in 28 days 20 hours 7 minutes 14 seconds:
Blu-ray.com review.

Resized Image