What monster movie are you currently watching?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Re: What monster movie are you currently watching?

Post by Leviarex »

Last night I watched Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, The Mummy, The Wolf Man, and The Creature From The Black Lagoon in each of their respective debut universal films. And I'll be keeping the universal streak alive tonight with the following movies:

Spanish version of 'Dracula' 1931
'Bride Of Frankenstein'
'The Mummy's Hand'

Added in 3 days 2 hours 5 minutes 12 seconds:
I watched a Halloween related triple feature last night that consisted of:

'Halloween' 78
'Halloween II' 81
'Trick 'r Treat'

Added in 1 day 21 hours 4 minutes 57 seconds:
To me, the universal monster series is to Halloween what 'It's A Wonderful Life' is to Christmas, so to that end, I'll be celebrating All Hallows Eve/capping off October with the following films in it:

'The Mummy's Tomb'
'Son Of Frankenstein'
'Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man'
'Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein'
'Revenge Of The Creature'
Last edited by Leviarex on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

I watched big man japan for the first time yesterday for Halloween, kino.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Pumpkinhead last night. one of my faves
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Considering that tomorrow is Godzilla's 65th birthday, it felt appropriate that last night, I kick off the start of the weekend with a double feature consisting of the two movies that led to his creation: 'King Kong' 33 and 'The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms'.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

On Saturday, I watched:

Unknown Island (1948) - Apparently produced to cash in on a popular re-issue of King Kong, we have another Lost World variant about a trip to an island inhabited by man-in-suit Ceratosaurs, a Dimetrodon that ISN'T a dressed-up lizard, and a giant ground sloth that WASN'T INSPIRED BY KING KONG! The acting and dialog help make up for the shortcomings in the FX.

The Lost Continent (1951) - An atomic rocket/guided missile crash-lands on a mountain made of uranium on an island in the South Seas. Ceasar Romero and company have to get the rocket's black box before the entire island goes up in an atomic explosion. The top of the mountain is actually a jungle inhabited by stop-motion dinosaurs. Probably the only Lost World-esque film that doesn't feature a single carnosaur. The pacing is bad: 25 minutes to get to the island, 20 minutes of rock-climbing ("Rock climbing, Joel. Rock climbing."), and 10 minutes of jungle traipsing before we get a single dinosaur. And yet, I miss this sort of adventure film that we don't get today.

Yesterday I watched:

Godzilla (1998) - My daughter loved it: she thought the raptorzillas were adorable and the parts that were meant to be funny were actually funny. I've made my peace with this film.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - The family enjoyed it. I need to watch it a third now to really have a set opinion on it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

H-Man wrote:On Saturday, I watched:

Unknown Island (1948)

The Lost Continent (1951)
Good choices! They're not good movies, but as you said these kind of innocent and inoffensive adventure films are sorely missing today, where nearly everything has to be as big and bold as possible.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

For October, I watched some horror films. Not nearly as much as I wanted to, but I feel I made some good choices.

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things

Vampire Doll

Night/Curse of the Demon

The Man Who Haunted Himself (Not quite sure if it really qualifies as horror, but it fits in enough IMO)

Beetlejuice (Yeah, hardly an original choice, but my parents wanted to watch it)

Lake of Dracula

Witchfinder General

Crawl

Kiss of the Vampire

Evil of Dracula

Plus, I watched some assorted Ultra Q episodes throughout the month, which are all perfect Halloween material (Especially Baron Spider on Halloween night).
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Being a certain radioactive royal's birthday yesterday, I appropriately watched 'Gojira' last night.

Added in 4 days 20 hours 19 minutes 39 seconds:
Watched 'Godzilla Raids Again'/'Gigantis The Fire Monster' with (as I always do) the Steve Ryfle commentary last night.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I watched M vs G for his anniversary.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Recently revisited:

Gamera the Brave - Good idea and some good monster sequences defeated by a terrible score. Ifukube, Ohtani and Oshima really understood how to score a kaiju film.

Godzilla vs. Biollante - Great film. Nuff said.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

In honor of Boris Karloff's birthday last night, I watched the following Universal films:

'The Mummy'
'Frankenstein'
'House Of Frankenstein'

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Piranha 3D. Criminally underrated if you ask me.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I saw Teenagers from Outer Space last night. It's a guilty pleasure of mine. The film has a convincing fish out of water performance from Lowe, but the effects for the Gargon are laughable.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Last week/weekend I caught Jason and the Argonauts on TCM. Never saw it before, but the stop motion was certainly top notch, especially for the big bronze giant. Very memorable. The harpies were neat too, and the hydra looked awesome. As for the skeletons, eh, can you make skeletons running around not look weird?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Never really been a fan of that film. It's actually one of my least favorite Harryhausen projects.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Gonna watch Valley of Gwangi soon.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Watched a film that I never thought I’d get to see. Prooi (Prey) is a Dutch horror comedy about a man eating lion loose in Amsterdam.

It’s actually a pretty good film. Yes the cgi lion is not great but this was not made in Hollywood. It’s got a lot more heart and effort then any stuff channel film and is a pretty fun B monster movie.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Seeing as how today's date is (on top of being christmas time in general) that of Krampusnacht or Krampus Night (at least in the alpine regions of Europe), it's only fitting that I'll be watching 'Krampus' a little later.
Last edited by Leviarex on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I just got done watching Interview With the Vampire, still one of my favorite vampire/undead movies. Pitt and Cruise carry this film with some interesting arcs and I really liked watching the growth of their characters. It's too bad the sequel, Queen of the Damned was such a trainwreck. A vampire movie with a resurrected vampire queen and hard rock concerts should be ten kinds of awesome (and Jonathan Davis does write some pretty cool vampire songs for the soundtrack that he unfortunately couldn't appear on the album for for contractual reasons; my faves are System, Forsaken and Redeemer), but it wasn't.

There actually was supposed to be a third movie based on Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, but it was cancelled and recently rebranded into a rebooted Hulu series.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"