SSSS.GRIDMAN

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Re: SSSS.GRIDMAN

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

A side from the past couple episodes I don't think it's anything too great honestly. Kinda feels like EVA lite.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:A side from the past couple episodes I don't think it's anything too great honestly. Kinda feels like EVA lite.
Gives me more Big O vibes than Eva but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^^I do believe the director has openly admitted that EVA was/is a big influence. Personally, I don't mind that at all, since I think that mostly contributes to the show's striking imagery.

Oh, man, that finale has me so pumped right now.
No, I didn't get all the answers I was really hoping for
Spoiler:
(How exactly did Akane become a god? Just "where" does her created world exist?? Why were Rikka and Utsumi immune to the world resets??? [proximity to Yuta/Gridman, I suppose?] Why didn't Anosilus girl get to join the fight?!?! Alright, I'll stop)
; but arguably, all the truly important matters were resolved. The final fights and character/monster designs were terrific, and all three of the lead heroes played a part in saving Akane - who, if you ask me, might have gotten off a liiiiiitle easy, but I digress. That very last scene in particular was fascinating, and a great way to end a surreal story on a surreal note. I'm sad this is over, but I'm very glad we got it; I hope Trigger's crew get to make more series like this in the future!!

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Rody wrote:^^I do believe the director has openly admitted that EVA was/is a big influence. Personally, I don't mind that at all, since I think that mostly contributes to the show's striking imagery.

Oh, man, that finale has me so pumped right now.
No, I didn't get all the answers I was really hoping for
Spoiler:
(How exactly did Akane become a god? Just "where" does her created world exist?? Why were Rikka and Utsumi immune to the world resets??? [proximity to Yuta/Gridman, I suppose?] Why didn't Anosilus girl get to join the fight?!?! Alright, I'll stop)
; but arguably, all the truly important matters were resolved. The final fights and character/monster designs were terrific, and all three of the lead heroes played a part in saving Akane - who, if you ask me, might have gotten off a liiiiiitle easy, but I digress. That very last scene in particular was fascinating, and a great way to end a surreal story on a surreal note. I'm sad this is over, but I'm very glad we got it; I hope Trigger's crew get to make more series like this in the future!!
Masami Obari is the director's biggest inspiration.
Spoiler:
Her created world exists in the digital world. Supposedly the same from the OG series just has more to it rather than just the cyberspace city.
Last edited by Godzillakuj94 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Rody wrote:I hope Trigger's crew get to make more series like this in the future!!
Toho should give them the Godzilla license and make them reboot Zone Fighter.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Sakuga Blog has been providing excellent coverage on this series; here's their last installation:

SSSS.GRIDMAN PRODUCTION NOTES 12 AND FINAL IMPRESSIONS

In the same way that the mecha animation has been non-stop nods to Masami Obari – a story with a happy end despite some unexpected friction – Amemiya’s direction has taken countless cues from Anno’s, ultimately using a similar toolset to convey a message that all Evangelion fans will be familiar with. While always feeling like its own thing, SSSS.GRIDMAN felt like a worthy heir of the intangible Gainax spirit, a rare occurrence despite the massive aesthetic influence the studio’s golden age had over other titles.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

I completely lost my shit when Yume no Hero started playing and Gridman transformed into his original form. The absolute madmen actually did it, holy hell.

"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

I only watched some clips and read about it, seeing as still don't have a Crunchyroll account, but going from what I've seen and heard this was one of my favourite anime of all year! I still have my reservations about their use of fanservice and such, but as a whole, this was a wonderful show about friendship and reality as well as a beautiful love letter to the original show and Tokusatsu as a whole! It's another victory for Trigger and it more than made up for their misfires in Darling in the FranXX, thus restroing my faith in them. (Y'know what I'm saying?) Anyways, I still can't wait to watch the show in full when I get a Crunchyroll subscription, and I'm just so glad that we all got to experience such a wonderful show.

I'd just like to close by saying, dat OP tho:
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

The OP really grew on me; it's surprisingly catchy.
To be fair about the fanservice, that was largely relegated to one episode; the show was otherwise very focused on characterization, suspense, and action.
...And while I was also feeling tepid after FranXX, that was more of an A-1 Pictures product than a Trigger product. What really got me was how Gridman's director had previously done the very off-beat Inferno Cop and Ninja Slayer. I didn't know WHAT that forebode for Gridman, but thankfully any reservations I had were unwarranted.

Added in 3 months 18 days 1 hour 32 minutes 46 seconds:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOGDS-334358

Image Image

We have an SSSS.GRIDMAN vinyl kaiju coming in at last! Release is scheduled for August. It's a bit pricey for what it is, at $25-30, but at least with CD Japan, you can cut the price down further with rewards points if you have an account.
I say preorder this, and show there's interest for more!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

SSSS.DYNAZENON (basically a "sequel series" to Gridman) is in the works.

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Im gonna blind buy the blu ray. Looks good.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I got this and finished seven episodes. It's weird but a part of me sort of wishes this was strictly a high school show...just something soothing and cozy about a lot of it. I do like how it slowly builds towards something being wrong about this place. I mean the school is back in the end of the first episode and it sort of lampshades how Toku shows things are almost back to normal. No word on refuges or how much it costs to rebuild.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Last edited by Rody on Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Akane did not deserve that redemption holy shit
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Shouldn't this be in Ultraman Media? I'm suprised this stayed while all the other TsuPro threads got moved.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I gotta say I've been waiting a long time to watch this show. So far the Easter eggs and references are cool, the characters are fun, and overall it's an awesome anime, but does it need to be so horny? I don't want to ogle teenagers, I want to watch Gridman fight kaiju
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:01 am
Rody wrote:I hope Trigger's crew get to make more series like this in the future!!
Toho should give them the Godzilla license and make them reboot Zone Fighter.
This... Is prolly the best thing I read in a good, long time.

Edit:... And the post is from 2018. God damn.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon May 02, 2022 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Shouldn't this be in the Ultra Subforum?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:20 pm Shouldn't this be in the Ultra Subforum?
It really should.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Bumping this thread because, in the discussion of "best kaiju anime," IMO this one is easily the answer, above even Godzilla SP and Gamera Rebirth, which I also really liked.

I think this is one of the best contemporary anime period.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle