ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Millenial88 »

ray243 wrote:
Saturndusk wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Smaller episode count has nothing to do with writing a more nuanced or adult-themed show.
Overall I agree but I think it hampers the opportunity to focus on those themes when they’re focused on hitting on only the essential notes.
The more episodes you have, the more you can spend time developing the character arcs of your secondary characters, do a bit more world-building and give us more of the "filler" episodes where you don't have a new power-up to introduce. Older Ultraman episodes are often self-contained stories that act more like mini-movies than episodes of a serialised story.

But ultimately it's about how you structure the series, and how much attention you pay to making the monster threat feels real and scary to humanity. Having giant superheroes fight giant monster in a city is fine, but if you are not able to sell the idea that there are people living in the city and trying to flee the monsters, the whole set-up is pointless. It's partly why I really dislike having Ultraman fighting monsters in a abandoned part of the city with not even any attack team around. Where is the risk and danger of people getting injured if Ultraman is not around to stop the monster? Where is the threat of the Monster actually being scary beings that people want to escape from?

It's why having a defence team opens up so much room for more mature storytelling. It's not about having a team with cool weapons, but having a team to investigate supernatural stuff. You can explore one-off filler stories about the team investigating something odd that is going on in the world, but also use that as a platform to offer commentary on society itself.

The older Ultraman series feels very much like episodes of Doctor Who as a result. You have one-off episodes exploring various aspects of human or alien society that offers commentary on technology and society. The only difference is instead of having the Doctor thinking about solutions to defeat the monster, you simply have the monsters become giant size and requires an Ultraman to fight the monster.
Out of curiosity, have you watched UNFIX on YT?

It leans more towards the grim-dark side, but it is a stellar example on how to do an intimate, more character interplay-heavy Ultraman series - that doesn’t even have any major tokusatsu scenes in it.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

This was a fun new episode of Z.

Only complaints are
Spoiler:
how did Haruki find Yoko and Yuka so quickly? I mean if they had to cheat then so be it. The other is I kinda wanted to see the new form get hit a little. Kind of a curb-stomp you know? Oh well other than that Gamma Future is pretty damn cool and so far it is what I was hoping.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: What's Neos?
https://ultra.fandom.com/wiki/Ultraman_Neos_(series)

So anyway, i just watched episode 8 of Z and... wow. Just wow. This is my favorite yet. Everything just goes ballistic not even a couple minutes in and it's glorious. And Gamma Future is seriously my favorite form so far. I love the metallic tone of the voice and all the powers it has. Also
Spoiler:
seeing Yuka "fight" is pretty hilarious, although it is cool she and Yoko did manage to discover those twin girls were Alien Pitts in disguise. Tri-King looks better than Five King honestly. And next time is KIng Joe.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Ultra Illusion and that finisher after that blew my fucking mind
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah that finisher made me think of how Ultraman Jack took on Pris-Ma. When I heard of the three forms I was most excited for Gamma Future just because 'oh hey long range fighter that's kinda different from martial artists and wrestler.' Not to diss on the other two forms.

Apparently Yoko's favorite too.

He should just transform into Gamma Future
Spoiler:
shrink down and go into the monster's head and punch its brain out!
Celebro: I need a new strategy.
Speaking of which I'm glad he got a little more to do this time. I mean I do appreciate he's like a cold scientist, referring to the monsters not as names but their titles coldly. But I am hoping to get some more out of him soon. I really liked Kei from Geed but he did sorta get weak at the end so maybe they're avoiding that.
Spoiler:
I hope Juggler isn't going to go full evil again! :( Pull a hijacked by Ganon or Magneto as the trope goes.
Last edited by daveblackeye15 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I just realized
Spoiler:
What’s stopping Juggler from taking Celebro’s medals? That’ll mean he might have both Zeppandon and Five King if the Dark Z-Raiser toy description is anything to go by.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m sitting in the theater waiting for the Ultraman taiga film to start. I’ll report back in two hours with a general impressions, and plot synopsis, and those who want spoilers!

Theater isn’t full, but given covid that makes sense. There’s only half seat capacity. Everyone had to take a temperature check prior to entering. Not really worried.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Had to stop on Episode 8 right after Gamma Future fusion for reference but my favorite nuance of the episode so far is that with the medals, Juggler was more fixated with the Dyna medal which makes complete sense because of Orb: Origin Saga he’s actually familiar with him.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Was too distracted by doing a 4 hour marathon of Steam Gardens by Koji Kondo to even notice that the new Ultraman episode was out. Watching now.

Added in 1 minute 48 seconds:
Very interesting that Celebro needs people to obtain kaiju bits for him. I would've thought ha got those on his own.

Added in 8 minutes 14 seconds:
Anyone know what "kieta karekareta" means? He's been saying that since episode 1 and I've been increasingly dying to know.

Added in 59 seconds:
Tri-King has Destoroyah's chest beam! It looks like it at least....

Added in 2 minutes 9 seconds:
I like how the mechs jetpacked again so that the collateral damage of them landing would be decreased. Nice attention to detail.

Added in 1 minute 24 seconds:
That is the fakest house I've ever seen in my life.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Anyone know what "kieta karekareta" means? He's been saying that since episode 1 and I've been increasingly dying to know.
"I'm feeling good."

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gigantis wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Anyone know what "kieta karekareta" means? He's been saying that since episode 1 and I've been increasingly dying to know.
"I'm feeling good."
Huh.

Added in 1 minute 5 seconds:
Wait, how can she see the Z-Riser if it's made with a material that normal humans can't see?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Saw the Ultraman Taiga movie. It was FINE. Some really good things, but then some really formulaic and downright disappointing things. I think overall the show was better episode to episode quality wise. However, this movie served as a better end to the Taiga series and Tregears arc than all the series itself. Some really good atmosphere and action.

Plot summary(note due to the vast amount of characters I may refer to characters as “Ultraman Geed” or whatever.
Spoiler:
The movie opens on Taiga and crew chasing after alien Dada, who has stolen something important to alien Magma. After a brief fist fight, Sada goes into a big robot and they fight in a really nicely lit city. Very atmospheric. It serves primarily as a “reintroduction” to the characters and then the title screen flashes. Good action though.

After, it’s revealed that prior to the events of the film, Tregear survived him blowing up in Taiga. Taro is on some monster graveyard, and Tregear I think resurrects a weaker form of Berymudora (the big fusion monster: also note I might be wrong about it being related to beruyoda). This monster, defeats the modern Ultramen, and steals some of their power and as a result they can’t transform.

On earth, there’s this alien plot that is preluding to the appearance of the new monster. I don’t know how important it is to the film, and honestly this part dragged on. There’s a series of tedious scenes re-introducing all the ultramen, like Geed, R/B, orb, etc.. there’s a good moment where it seems like R/B report to Taiga’s team Riku for opening up shop and selling alien themed souvenirs and being competition. There’s a scene where the robot/Android from Taiga gets hacked, and X’s daichi fixes it. The protagonists to Taiga gets introduced to each Ultraman and restores their ability to transform. After some fighting with the aliens, the big monster appears.

The big monster is really cool. It’s name is Bemudo or something. It’s physically very strong and pretty big. It fights R/B and Taiga. It turns out the monster is super fast too. There’s an awesome moment where it appears behind a building and attacks. It soundly defeats the rookie Ultramen.

Taro saves everyone, but it turns out this was some sort of trap. The monster enters Taro, and Taro becomes Tregears slave. Everyone is soundly defeated and Taro and Tregear escape.

Overnight, everyone regroups and there’s a nice interaction with Riku/Geed and Taiga. Geed tells Taiga he knows how hard it is to fight his own father.

The next morning, everyone begins their fight. Tregear fights the other Ultramen, while Taiga fights the puppet Taro. Taiga is losing, and previous monsters that Taiga fought are released, Night Fang, Gorothunder, Helloburus, and a few others are there that were new in Ultraman Taiga. The Ultraman of course do fine, before Taro, and the monster give them all a power up. Cornered, everyone enters their powered up final forms, and beat the monsters. Tregear continues to fight the ultramen, and Taiga manages to push his father back, and snap him out. Tregear is almost defeated. Tregear pushed back, givers up his life force, despite Taro warning him. Bemudo or whatever becomes super huge, and the world is consumed in darkness. Taro is badly beaten, and all the Ultramen use their super moves and forms but can’t beat the monster. They all fuse, forming an Ultraman that looks like a combination of all the modern Ultramen. They beat the monster. Everything wraps up with goodbyes after that.

So yeah Tregear gets a more proper death
I’ll finish later, getting lunch with my girlfriend
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I thought 'kieta ect.' was a line from the original Ultraman that was supposedly some kind of universal greeting. Who knows if Ide had it right or not.

I don't know anything about the Taiga show or moving. I was disappointed you didn't like Geed's movie since it actually kinda felt like a nice capper movie. Like the lead has to go through an internal struggle for once aside from 'beat the monster/alien in this movie!' I sure liked it more than Orb's movie which was fun and crammy and that's about it.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I wonder how he's gonna be able to fuse Gan Q and Regubas with Tri-King. After all, there are only three slots on the Z-Riser.

Added in 2 minutes 38 seconds:
Alpher Edge. How have I not pointed that out yet?

Added in 2 minutes 43 seconds:
Alien Pitts are cute. Also, I just noticed that Z has a Beam Lamp and a Color Timer. Considering that Tohl Narita added the Beam Lamp specifically to prevent another Color Timer, this confuses me.

Added in 3 minutes 23 seconds:
Ultraman ONLINE Festival doesn't show any online activities. Weird.

Added in 3 minutes 1 second:
And here comes my favorite form yet.

Added in 2 minutes 17 seconds:
Jeez, that might be the Gyeron kill of this series.

Added in 4 minutes 34 seconds:
Ooh, King Joe? I thought the STORAGE variant would be the only Joe appearing this season.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Hmmm. I like Tri King more than Five King if I'm gonna be honest. Tri King feels just right with its combinations.

The addition of Reigubas and Gan Q is like putting some unneeded ingredients in a solid gumbo.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

When I finally see Ultraman Z on Blu-ray years from now I'll kinda miss the merchandise commercials.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So i just noticed in the Episode 9 preview, a scientist guy is holding a Father of Ultra medal. Starting to think that Jack-Zoffy-Father fusion might be in the show after all.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Gigantis wrote:So i just noticed in the Episode 9 preview, a scientist guy is holding a Father of Ultra medal. Starting to think that Jack-Zoffy-Father fusion might be in the show after all.
Nope. It's only an attack for the Z Riser.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

MoarCrossovers wrote:
Gigantis wrote:So i just noticed in the Episode 9 preview, a scientist guy is holding a Father of Ultra medal. Starting to think that Jack-Zoffy-Father fusion might be in the show after all.
Nope. It's only an attack for the Z Riser.
Ah okay. Guess Tsuburaya decided not to go overboard on transformations this time.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

There is some good news on the fusion front, however.

Last edited by MoarCrossovers on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.