General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MandaSaurus wrote:I already have the Mill Creek set. Easy pass...
If you’re talking about this:

Then I’m sorry. That set has one of the worst set of subtitles I’ve ever seen on an official release for Gamera 3. They butcher the shit out of some of the dialogue and nuance and tone, and make the villains actual beliefs completely nonsensical. I kept meaning to make a thread about it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Then I’m sorry. That set has one of the worst set of subtitles I’ve ever seen on an official release for Gamera 3. They butcher the poop out of some of the dialogue and nuance and tone, and make the villains actual beliefs completely nonsensical. I kept meaning to make a thread about it.
What set for Gamera 3 would you recommend then?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Then I’m sorry. That set has one of the worst set of subtitles I’ve ever seen on an official release for Gamera 3. They butcher the poop out of some of the dialogue and nuance and tone, and make the villains actual beliefs completely nonsensical. I kept meaning to make a thread about it.
What set for Gamera 3 would you recommend then?
I don't know, but definitely not that. I'm sure someone could recommend something better.

It would take a long time to elaborate on, but the subtitles of that particular film completely butcher the dialogue's nuances and great writing so much that it's almost incomprehensible.

I'll give a clear example, something which at the time I wanted to make a thread about meaning/good writing gets lost in bad subtitling but:
When Inspector Osako joins Mayumi Nagamine he says something like "Ohisashburi biru". and says some other stuff. This get translated as "I haven't had good beer in a long time" which is TRUE. However, the term and grammar being used here, is more akin to greeting an old friend after a long time. In other words his dialogue is more like,"Long time no see old friend (beer)". This might seem insignificant, but the other dialogue misses that it's good dialogue writing in Japanese, and completes a character arc of his. Post Gamera 1, Osako worked at Sapporo in Hokkaido. In Gamera 3, he became a bum living on the streets drinking cheap beer and other stuff. Nagamine is treating him to beer here, so the dialogue is also referencing that it's been a long time since he's enjoyed and lived normally, while simultaneously greeting an old friend. The translation given is one of the most direct, and laziest things I've ever seen. This might seem very minor, but it's the easiest to explain without writing out an essay and explaining Japanese grammar to everyone.

It gets far worse when the main villain of the plot, Toru Tezuka, has his dialogue completely butchered in this subtitle. Entire sentences go completely untranslated, and he comes off as a sociopath (in the wrong ways). It makes him seem like a random weirdo, than someone that does have some semblance of belief and rationale behind him.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Are the subtitles in this set the same as the blu-ray set for the trilogy? Because his motives and beliefs seem dumb there too.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vakanai wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Are the subtitles in this set the same as the blu-ray set for the trilogy? Because his motives and beliefs seem dumb there too.
If that's also released by Mill Creek, I would assume so.

To be clear, the villains motives are CRAZY in the original dialogue, but they're slightly more coherent and philosophical in Japanese. This isn't just me saying that, I just literally noticed the subtitles for Gamera 3 were utter trash at some points, as if the person just gave up midway. I remember GOTU and Legion being fine though...

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I feel like when the next Gamera film comes out, they really need to go all out on it. It's his big return after almost fifteen steaight years of radio silence, you gotta give him at least something worth the theatre time!

Also, the enemy monsters should be elemental themed. Gamera is fire, and have one that's water based, one wind based and the others kinda an Earth monster like Biollante or something.
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:I feel like when the next Gamera film comes out, they really need to go all out on it. It's his big return after almost fifteen steaight years of radio silence, you gotta give him at least something worth the theatre time!

Also, the enemy monsters should be elemental themed. Gamera is fire, and have one that's water based, one wind based and the others kinda an Earth monster like Biollante or something.
Like equal to or better than his comeback in the Heisei era.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

If Japanese. Get Shusuke Kaneko to return to direct.

If an American remake. Get Guillermo del Toro.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:If Japanese. Get Shusuke Kaneko to return to direct.

If an American remake. Get Guillermo del Toro.
I don't even care who makes it, Japan, America , Australia etc. I just want something to happen!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've got The Gamera Trilogy from Mill Creek with the corrected Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris disc (I saw the right disc number somewhere on here and confirmed it).

Should I have any problems with the subtitles on this film as mentioned above? Please let me know.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I'm hoping after Shin Ultraman we get a Shin Gamera.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

It’s kind of interesting to me that no studio has attempted to get the rights to produce an American Gamera film. I know Gamera has never been as big as King Kong or Godzilla, but we live in an age where pre-existing IP’s are everything in the entertainment. At the very least, I would’ve thought that someone would‘ve tried to get an American Gamera film made back in 2014/2015.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It could be that Kadokawa values the Gamera IP at more than any studio is willing to pay.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Garzon wrote:It’s kind of interesting to me that no studio has attempted to get the rights to produce an American Gamera film. I know Gamera has never been as big as King Kong or Godzilla, but we live in an age where pre-existing IP’s are everything in the entertainment. At the very least, I would’ve thought that someone would‘ve tried to get an American Gamera film made back in 2014/2015.
Also the fact kaiju movies are being made in the U.S. currently, though how good or bad Godzilla vs Kong performs will determine if that trend will continue in Hollywood or not. I keep hearing the argument Gamera isn't known well enough. Fair enough, but the same could be argued of a new IP. So people unfamiliar with Gamera will think it's a new IP, while people who know of him might give the film a shot on the simple premise that hey Hollywood made a Gamera film let's see how this turns out.

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Ok, I like Gamera and i'll definitely check the arrow release, but come on, this is no Rampage or Transformers, which can have a logical massive appeal.

Gamera is a giant.... turtle.

Not an ape. Not a dino. Not a robot. A.................. @#ù%*............ turtle.

It's cool in its kinda goofy way (even Heisei Gamera, as more "serious" and great as it can be) but no A lister enough for Hollywood. NEVER.

If anymore giant monster should come up, I bet it would be new stuff, much like Cloverfield or The Host.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Lecontinentperdu wrote:Ok, I like Gamera and i'll definitely check the arrow release, but come on, this is no Rampage or Transformers, which can have a logical massive appeal.

Not an ape. Not a dino. Not a robot. A.................. @#ù%*............ turtle.

It's cool in its kinda goofy way (even Heisei Gamera, as more "serious" and great as it can be) but no A lister enough for Hollywood. NEVER.

If anymore giant monster should come up, I bet it would be new stuff, much like Cloverfield or The Host.
With tusks, flies and shoots fireballs. Come on.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, I mean, I love Gamera, but on its surfact the character's concept and design just reads as too goofy for an American studio to sink serious money into it.

American audiences are not the most open-minded.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

The problem isn't so much that american audiences aren't open minded enough, but rather there is nothing to transition it too (unless something crazy happens). Looking at the mcu shows how you can have really obscure and no name characters become household names, but it took time to build up to that point. For this to happen, the monsterverse would really need to do well, and either buy gamera or inspire a competitor to buy gamera to make their own movies. As of now, gamera is probably as risky as any new ip, and would still have to be licences. So I'd say not for a while, but crazier things have happened in the past.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gamera is as much a giant turtle as Mothra is just a giant moth.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Living Corpse wrote:
Garzon wrote:It’s kind of interesting to me that no studio has attempted to get the rights to produce an American Gamera film. I know Gamera has never been as big as King Kong or Godzilla, but we live in an age where pre-existing IP’s are everything in the entertainment. At the very least, I would’ve thought that someone would‘ve tried to get an American Gamera film made back in 2014/2015.
Also the fact kaiju movies are being made in the U.S. currently, though how good or bad Godzilla vs Kong performs will determine if that trend will continue in Hollywood or not. I keep hearing the argument Gamera isn't known well enough. Fair enough, but the same could be argued of a new IP. So people unfamiliar with Gamera will think it's a new IP, while people who know of him might give the film a shot on the simple premise that hey Hollywood made a Gamera film let's see how this turns out.
Also on the subject of Gamera not being well known enough - neither is Rampage, and yet that got done.

Added in 1 minute 51 seconds:
Lecontinentperdu wrote:Ok, I like Gamera and i'll definitely check the arrow release, but come on, this is no Rampage or Transformers, which can have a logical massive appeal.

I wouldn't hold being a turtle against Gamera, I mean, it hasn't held a certain group of teenage mutant ninjas back none...