General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by Angilasman »

Although it makes for a good story (put quotations around "good"), and he certainly felt Gamera nipping at his heels after seeing the movie since he apparently pulled for Godzilla vs. Destoroyah being a much more visually spectacular film all around in order to compete, the depressing reality is that he was an alcoholic and may have been in that state regardless of seeing the movie.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I didn't know he was an alcoholic. I figured he just got so shocked seeing that distant number 2 loser turtle suddenly jump past Heisei Godzilla's effects/coolness as a need for a drink or two...extra...

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

edgaguirus wrote:Probably unintentional, but a funny coincidence.

The visuals for the Gamera trilogy were well done. They made both city and country scenes look convincing.
How about this coincidence.

Gamera's mana beam is a lot like the Kamehameha attack from Dragon Ball, both powers are continuous streams of devastating energy that take a long time to charge up and kamehameha is also known as Turtle Devastation Wave.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Living Corpse wrote:

The visuals for the Gamera trilogy were well done. They made both city and country scenes look convincing.

Gamera's mana beam is a lot like the Kamehameha attack from Dragon Ball, both powers are continuous streams of devastating energy that take a long time to charge up and kamehameha is also known as Turtle Devastation Wave.
Wait a minute your right! Not only that but Gamera's been referenced in Dragon-Ball for a long time.
Even if it ended up being very indirectly there's a really good chance Gamera's Heisei trilogy offered up inspiration for that series

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

He cameos in Kill la Kill as well.

Also Shinji Higuchi did storyboards for the show, so I wonder if that had something to do with it?
Last edited by Kaltes-Herzeleid on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I always felt that Gamera's Devastation Beam from the end of Legion was VERY reminiscent of the "Mega-Smasher" from the Guyver series. Both of them have a "chest opening up" element, along with an endless blast that sort of crumbles and shatters their enemy.

I'm not saying it is like, some confirmed connection, Guyver is fairly obscure in the grand scheme of things....but that is right where my mind went when I first saw Gamera's chest open.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

ROMG4 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

Wait a minute your right! Not only that but Gamera's been referenced in Dragon-Ball for a long time.
Even if it ended up being very indirectly there's a really good chance Gamera's Heisei trilogy offered up inspiration for that series
Wait am I reading this right? You're saying the Heisie trilogy might have inspired Dragonball somehow? I don't think so because that Baby Gamera showed up really early like 1984 or 1985. So if anything it's the Showa Gamera since Heisei Gamera wouldn't come to be until 1995. I think Dragonball ended before Heisei Gamera came to be too? Unless I totally misunderstood that post.

Anyway yeah Gamera's chest blaster makes me think of the Megasmasher from Guyver and it's super cool!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

tbeasley wrote:
daveblackeye15 wrote:Hm I kinda hope that's true.
Alcoholism isn't funny.
Was Kawakita an alcoholic or was this just a one night thing. The circumstances dictate the humor in the stroy.

Added in 2 minutes 44 seconds:
Living Corpse wrote:

Baragon won the Tenkaichi Budokai in Dragonball and the Kamehameha is very different from the Ultimate Plasma other than being beam attacks.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

The Ultimate Plasma reminds me more of Vegeta's Final Flash move.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:He cameos in Kill la Kill as well.

Also Shinji Higuchi did storyboards for the show, so I wonder if that had something to do with it?
And Kadokawa was a producing partner on KLK.

The KLK characters also appeared in the game Monster Strike, like Godzilla, FYI.
Friends don't lie.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Does anyone know what movie this is a poster for? Gamera looks extremely Showa but the Gyaos is like the Super Gyaos with the Showa head.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Does anyone know what movie this is a poster for? Gamera looks extremely Showa but the Gyaos is like the Super Gyaos with the Showa head.
Pretty sure it's for Guardian of the Universe.
Resized Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Yeah, that's the standard theatrical poster for GOTU. (It also says "Gamera: The Guardian of the Universe" in English on the bottom left. ;) )
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I'm positive that's Guardian of the Universe.

Gamera 2 got a poster in that style.
https://www.filmonpaper.com/wp-content/ ... apan-1.jpg

I kinda wish Gamera 3 got a poster like that but I guess that style kind of promises more on spectacle/fun.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Ah, okay.

I'm gonna have to say I prefer the Gamera design seen in the G1 poster over every single Gamera in the Heisei trilogy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

daveblackeye15 wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

Wait am I reading this right? You're saying the Heisie trilogy might have inspired Dragonball somehow? I don't think so because that Baby Gamera showed up really early like 1984 or 1985. So if anything it's the Showa Gamera since Heisei Gamera wouldn't come to be until 1995. I think Dragonball ended before Heisei Gamera came to be too? Unless I totally misunderstood that post.

Anyway yeah Gamera's chest blaster makes me think of the Megasmasher from Guyver and it's super cool!
Gamera, Godzilla, Ultraman and many others made numerous cameos in Toriyama's previous work Dr. Slump. Plus Baragon (twice), Rodan, and Ghidorah also had cameos in Dragonball.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Ah, okay.

I'm gonna have to say I prefer the Gamera design seen in the G1 poster over every single Gamera in the Heisei trilogy.
They should use that for the basis of the next Gamera design on film.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

I really like this poster for Gamera 2 quite a bit.

Gamera being front and center, with a stylized Legion Flower in the back and the otherwordly aura of the Legion Queen herself.
Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Yeah. Also anyone know who drew this or where it came from? I found it on IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0184503/mediaindex

So interesting food for thought, GOTU has a camera panning up shot of the Super Gyaos' Sonic Cutter shooting up into the sky, a nice callback to Gamera vs Gyaos where after being dragged into a volcano the Gyaos' final act was shooting a Sonic Cutter into the sky. But Gyaos wasn't the first, Barugon shot a final rainbow into the sky at it was drowning, and Barugon was originally planned to be the opponent for GOTU. Now imagine the ending of the final showdown in GOTU with a panning up shot of a rainbow before it fades.

Another interesting food for thought, G3 Gamera's skin being able to reflect Hyper Gyaos' Sonic Cutter may have been his body adapting in response to how easily Legion's rays just penetrated his skin and shell as well to the Gyaos numbers exploding. This also brings to light to just how powerful both Legion and Iris' energy attacks are, as even in G1 Gyaos' rays could not cut into even the softer, weaker underside of Gamera's shell but in G3 even with his new resistance to energy attacks Iris' Sonic Cutter managed to get through the top of Gamera's shell where it is strongest, when even Hyper Gyaos beams just bounce off G3 Gamera's bare skin. He needs it too, since this isn't a monster fight anymore, it's a monster war and Gamera has to be a living mobile fortress to not be overwhelmed by the Gyaos. His stronger plasma fireballs may be in response to this as well, kill them quickly in as few shots since the Hyper Gyaos seem more resistant to his fireballs than even Super Gyaos.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Great poster for G2.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.