Old Dinosaur Related Movies/Shows

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: Old Dinosaur Related Movies/Shows

Post by The Octopus »

Wow. Never even heard of that book.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Ah Crater Lake Monster. Don't know about you guys but that's a guilty pleasure of mine. I guess you could say that's because it is the only known killer plesiosaur movie to my knowledge.
Jim Danforth's stop motion animation of said plesiosaur is the only thing good about the movie. It's kind of stupid, but at least it's fun and tries to show the economic devastation the monster causes.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I ordered Flicker Alley's The Lost World 1925 deluxe edition Blu Ray, anybody else have it?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Anguirus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:30 pm I ordered Flicker Alley's The Lost World 1925 deluxe edition Blu Ray, anybody else have it?
Yes it's a solid release. I need to get around to picking up other Willis O'Brien movies I don't have.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I tried watching 2007's Dino Squad once. I hated it. It felt way too bare bones and underdeveloped for my tastes.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

If you ever run across Don Glut’s The Dinosaur Scrapbook in a used book store you should buy it.
It covers all dinosaur related media before 1980 when it was released. Over 600 photos posters book/comic covers I bought it when it came out and used it to trace movies etc to watch.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Bluezilla wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:58 pm If you ever run across Don Glut’s The Dinosaur Scrapbook in a used book store, you should buy it.
It covers all dinosaur-related media before 1980 when it was released. Over 600 photos/posters/book/comic covers. I bought it when it came out and used it to trace movies, etc. to watch.
My local library had that book once (I don't know if it still does, though). Very interesting for its time.

However, it definitely needs to be updated now, especially in the Japanese monsters chapter.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Yes, it does. If I remember right he only included a few of the Japanese films that included Godzilla and Rodman. I need to pull mine off the shelf. In 1980 there really wasn’t another source for at the time obscure dinosaur related media. Famous Monsters covered a few films and nearly always had a dinosaur or Godzilla still shot in the photo section.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know I've said this a lot on these forums, but I'll say it again : We need more dinosaur films and TV shows besides just Jurassic Park/World in this day and age. At least for every new bit of goddamn zombie media.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:32 pm I know I've said this a lot on these forums, but I'll say it again : We need more dinosaur films and TV shows besides just Jurassic Park/World in this day and age. At least for every new bit of goddamn zombie media.
Agreed, so much agreeing right here.

A little over a decade ago there was some attempt it seemed to get dino movies back in Hollywood - 2008's Journey to the Center of the Earth and 2009's Land of the Lost. Problem is, those movies were crap...so much crap...

Other than that? A few SyFy originals and maybe a couple Asylum mockbusters with awful cgi and even worse acting. Things like Jurassic Games (didn't see it) and Jurassic Galaxy (saw it), both in 2018 apparently - obviously to ride the coattails of Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom that year.

There was also that tv series back in 2011, Terra Nova on FOX. I didn't see it, but the fact that it didn't get a second season isn't good.

I think a major problem is the cost of special effects. To really get an audience it has to look good, and that level of good CGI is pricey. The only movies that earn that kind of cash are superhero films and well known reliable franchises like Jurassic Park/World. I wish Hollywood would take the lesson that people like good dinosaur movies from the success of Jurassic World, but sadly the lesson they learned is people like nostalgia with decades old franchises, like Star Wars or Jurassic Park.

I'd like more quality dinosaur films, but until one unrelated to Jurassic World does well it won't happen - and catch 22, one needs to be made in order to do well to get others made but one needs to do well to get one made but it can't get made until one does well...so we're kind of out of luck on that front for the foreseeable future.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Tim Burton was going to make a film version of the Topps trading card series Dinosaurs Attack! (in addition to his film Mars Attacks!) but didn't make it in the end because of the film Jurassic Park being made. Ah, what might have been...

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

The Octopus wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:02 am When it comes to old school Dinosaurs I always loved Turok Son of Stone. The original series from the 1960s. Something about old school native Americans fighting dinosaurs with bow and arrows and tomahawks was just so cool.
I agree that time frame of Cowboys and native Americans is perfect for the mixing of dinosaurs and humans. The technology level of rifles, bows, dynamite etc are perfect for logical fair fights.
WB owns the rights to Gwangi which is still my favorite dinosaur movie. It’d be great offshoot to the Monsterverse. It also has one of the best scores of any Harryhausen movie by Jerome Moross. The opening theme will get in your head. Lol

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Monster X wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:55 am Got a couple of old and obscure ones in my collection that you guys might not know of.

The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956)

This was based on a scripted by O'Brien, though I do not no if this was the same script that would become Gwangi but it's likely. The film was made by a Mexican company and Harryhausen had no part in it.

T]
I watched Beast of Hollow Mountain about a month ago after not having seen it for a long time. The stop motion isn't as Good as Gwangi, but it works.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Beast of Hollow Moutain always amazes for the amount of time the animators spent on that tongue. I’ll watch it every time I catch it on tv. I believe it even has a quicksand scene.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I recently picked up a Brazilian release of four dinosaur films:

- The Lost World (extended version)
Portuguese Title: O Mundo Perdido
Translation: The Lost World

- One Million B.C. (1940)
Portuguese Title: O Despertar do Mundo
Translation: The Dawn of the World

- The Land Unknown (1957)
Portuguese Title: O Mundo dos Monstros Pré-Históricos
Translation: The World of Prehistoric Monsters
VHS title: A Terra Esquecida
Translation: The Forgotten Land

- The Lost World (1960)
Portuguese Title: O Mundo Perdido
Translation: (see above)

I was looking to see what other dinosaur movies (besides the Jurassic Park franchise) got DVD releases here. I found:

- Raptor Island
- Raptor Planet
- The Dinosaur Project
- The Lost World (1992)
- Dinotopia
- When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (already own it)
- One Million Years B.C. (idem.)
- Valley of Gwangi (released on a six pack with The Demon Seed; Trancers; Strange Days; Caltiki; and This Island Earth)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I think that the most unique dinosaur film has to be Sound of Horror. It's the only dinosaur film I know of where to dinosaur is invisible.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I came across another interesting comic involving terrible lizards was from DC Comics/Wildstorm, and artist Brett Booth, with Robert Wiseman providing the script entitled EXTINCTION EVENT.
A group of ranchers trying to get their herd gathered up after an earthquake startles them ,and causes them to scatter. In course of things a cliffside opens up. What is found are live dinosaurs kept in a state of suspended animation for the last sixty-five million years after near world ending event that practically wiped out all life on Earth. In this creche, are of course a group highly intelligent velociraptor like beings. Who were behind the technology, and civilization that created the means to preserve their civilization. And now they are waking up. And they want the world back. Interesting book that only had a five issue run that didn't get collected into trade paperback. Hunt it down. This would make for a good flick.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I finally sat down to watch The Lost World (1960) last night. It's really a film that cannot find an audience today. Feminists would denounce it as sexist: one of the final lines of the movie is "The best title for a woman is 'Mrs.'". I'm sure the cowardly Hispanic guy--not to mention that only the non-white characters die in the movie--would elicit calls of racism. There's the violence against animals in the obligatory slurpasaur fight sequence, which would get animal rights activists up in arms. The best I can say about the movie is that there are some nice-looking sets and the women are purty--thank goodness they don't kill the native girl for having the nerve to fall for a white man.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:24 am Dinosaur media could be potentially revitalized if someone came up with a new and unique way to explain how the dinosaurs are present. In stuff such as The Lost World, King Kong, The Land that Time forgot etc, the dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures are discovered by unsuspecting explorers in uncharted valleys, islands, continents and such. Starting with the 80’s and 90’s, it became popularized for dinosaurs to be brought back via cloning and genetically engineering as seen with the likes of Jurassic Park and the aforementioned Carnosaur.

My idea for how dinosaurs could appear is that an accident occurs with an experimental time machine, leading to a malfunction in the time-space continuum. As a result, dinosaurs and countless other long-extinct animals overrun civilization like a zombie apocalypse.
You know, that's the plot of Dinosaurs Attack! exactly.

Oh, Mr. Burton, are you out there and reading this? You could still do this film, you know, it's not too late...
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Monster X wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:55 am Got a couple of old and obscure ones in my collection that you guys might not know of.

The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956)

This was based on a scripted by O'Brien, though I do not no if this was the same script that would become Gwangi but it's likely. The film was made by a Mexican company and Harryhausen had no part in it.

Tyranno's Claw a.k.a 10 Million B.C. a.k.a Dinosaurs vs Cavemen (1994)

A South Korean film that uses the animatronics and guys in suits. It's made in a similur vain to One Million B.C. and the whole film is available on youtube.

and on the comic front, 2000AD's Flesh. The best dinosaur comic stories ever!

To answer your question, yes, The Beast of Hollow Mountain was based on the script that was also used for The Valley of Gwangi.

Also, the second film's original planned title was going to be The Valley Where Time Stood Still.