Ray Harryhausen Film Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Re: Ray Harryhausen Film Discussion Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
The Octopus wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:since I’m terrified by octopi. A giant one would give me the shits.
I’m already terrified by you merely replying to me let alone this graphic image of a poor man being mauled by Satan spawn.
Just be thankful that Octopus are not naturally aggressive, but in actuality, intelligent, shy and curious. It’s giant, squid you should be afraid of.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

VoyagerGoji
EDF Instructor

Post by VoyagerGoji »

LegendZilla wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
The Octopus wrote:
I’m already terrified by you merely replying to me let alone this graphic image of a poor man being mauled by Satan spawn.
Just be thankful that Octopus are not naturally aggressive, but in actuality, intelligent, shy and curious. It’s giant, squid you should be afraid of.
They’re very intelligent. That’s how they’ll become our overlords. Either that or the Crows take over.
Rule, Gojira! Gojira Rule the Waves! Kaiju’s never never never shall be slaves!

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
They’re very intelligent. That’s how they’ll become our overlords. Either that or the Crows take over.
Or Cockroaches, apes and dogs.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

Or elephants. They never forget... to kill.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

LegendZilla wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Or Cockroaches, apes and dogs.
I'm reminded of a story by Lester Del Rey called The Faithful. In it, dogs and ape do become the dominant races of the planet.
Even a man who is pure at heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms, and the autumn moon is bright.

Life! Do you hear me?! Give my creation Liiiife!

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings All,

Just wanted to preface this statement with, as much as I enjoy Harryhausen's films, I simply cannot afford to double or triple dip on everything. I've had them all on dvd for a while, and although the BRD's look nice they were not priority. However...

I went to watch One Million Years BC a couple of weeks ago. I have the FOX dvd, and it wouldn't play, it didn't appear scratched, not sure what the issue was, tried on multiple devices and computers, still nothing. Also incidentally, it appears to be one of the only Harryhausen films not available on digital streaming. So.... I looked up the Kino BRD on Amazon, 20 dollars, ok no problem...

I got it in the mail, and it really is nice, my first Kino release, and It seems like they do quality work. I had no idea there was an extended version of the film. I watched both. This is a rare occasion however where making edits and the pacing of the US version I think is better. Don't get me wrong, I love a good extended film. I can watch the 4 hour version of The Return of the King anytime and still find great joy in it. However, aside from a few extended effects shots, I don't think I really will ever need to watch the 100 minute version of OMYBC again. Just my opinion.I know this came out a while ago, just wasn't sure what the overall consensus was.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm in the same boat you were: I didn't even know there were different cuts of the film. I haven't seen it myself, either cut, so I can't answer the question on which is better. That's cool to know!

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Post by H-Man »

I watched The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms with my 12-year-old daughter over the weekend. I still enjoy it a lot, although I don't find the middle portion draggy like a lot of people do. My daughter thought it was interesting. This closed out our 10-movie journey through the works of Ray Harryhausen, which she really enjoyed.

In October, I'm doing "31 Days, 31 Godzilla films". She said she'll be joining me for that.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

You know how I said that I think that there should be another Sinbad film modeled after the Harryhausen ones? If you people don’t mind, I would like to describe my pitch for such a film.

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote:You know how I said that I think that there should be another Sinbad film modeled after the Harryhausen ones? If you people don’t mind, I would like to describe my pitch for such a film.
Well, alright, go ahead.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

After talking a lot of poop last year, I really want to rewatch some of these with a new perspective.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:You know how I said that I think that there should be another Sinbad film modeled after the Harryhausen ones? If you people don’t mind, I would like to describe my pitch for such a film.
Well, alright, go ahead.
It will be an origin story for the character and the plot will revolve around real history. To be specific, it would tie in with the fall of the Ummayid Caliphate (661–750 CE) and the rise of the Abbasid Caliphate (750–1258 CE). Sinbad is the sole survivor of a noble family who was massacred by the Ummayid government for opposing them. After they are overthrown, he is left a wandering vagrant who finds his way to the newly-established city of Baghdad. Upon being arrested for snagging food, he his bailed out by a mysterious man and hired to go on a voyage to China.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VoyagerGoji
EDF Instructor

Post by VoyagerGoji »

I watched 20 Million Miles to Earth just a few hours ago. I thought it was fine, nothing special.
Rule, Gojira! Gojira Rule the Waves! Kaiju’s never never never shall be slaves!

ROMG4
JXSDF Technician

Post by ROMG4 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:After talking a lot of poop last year, I really want to rewatch some of these with a new perspective.
o.supreme wrote:However, aside from a few extended effects shots, I don't think I really will ever need to watch the 100 minute version of OMYBC again. Just my opinion.I know this came out a while ago, just wasn't sure what the overall consensus was.
There's an extended edition of One Million Years BC? I had no idea there was such a thing that's pretty cool. Its too bad it doesn't add a bit more, but its really nice to see the extra effect shots weren't lost
LegendZilla wrote: It will be an origin story for the character and the plot will revolve around real history. To be specific, it would tie in with the fall of the Ummayid Caliphate (661–750 CE) and the rise of the Abbasid Caliphate (750–1258 CE). Sinbad is the sole survivor of a noble family who was massacred by the Ummayid government for opposing them. After they are overthrown, he is left a wandering vagrant who finds his way to the newly-established city of Baghdad. Upon being arrested for snagging food, he his bailed out by a mysterious man and hired to go on a voyage to China.
That would be pretty cool I like the idea of blending real history in with the story and connecting it to a significant event
Last edited by ROMG4 on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Post by H-Man »

LegendZilla wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
Well, alright, go ahead.
It will be an origin story for the character and the plot will revolve around real history. To be specific, it would tie in with the fall of the Ummayid Caliphate (661–750 CE) and the rise of the Abbasid Caliphate (750–1258 CE). Sinbad is the sole survivor of a noble family who was massacred by the Ummayid government for opposing them. After they are overthrown, he is left a wandering vagrant who finds his way to the newly-established city of Baghdad. Upon being arrested for snagging food, he his bailed out by a mysterious man and hired to go on a voyage to China.
Neat. You should write and publish that; the source material is public domain and abridged versions of the story are always in print. So there's some sort of market for it.

Al Diplodocus
Monsterland Worker
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Someone should make a crossover of all of Ray's works, made and unmade.

Also, one of my favourite unmade Harryhausen film was Skin and Bone, a comedy based off a story by Thorne Smith where a scientist who creates an alcohol-based substance that makes his skin and flesh invisible.

Concept sketch

Much smaller-scale then his usual work and a rare outright comedy from a guy who otherwise made giant monsters and fantastic creatures, but very interesting. I hear it was going to be given another try in the mid-80's, and I swear I read Tim Burton was going to be involved. This would have been right up the latter's ally, and it would be interesting to imagine if he directed this instead of Peewee or Beetlejuice.

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

o.supreme wrote:Greetings All,

Just wanted to preface this statement with, as much as I enjoy Harryhausen's films, I simply cannot afford to double or triple dip on everything. I've had them all on dvd for a while, and although the BRD's look nice they were not priority. However...

I went to watch One Million Years BC a couple of weeks ago. I have the FOX dvd, and it wouldn't play, it didn't appear scratched, not sure what the issue was, tried on multiple devices and computers, still nothing. Also incidentally, it appears to be one of the only Harryhausen films not available on digital streaming. So.... I looked up the Kino BRD on Amazon, 20 dollars, ok no problem...

I got it in the mail, and it really is nice, my first Kino release, and It seems like they do quality work. I had no idea there was an extended version of the film. I watched both. This is a rare occasion however where making edits and the pacing of the US version I think is better. Don't get me wrong, I love a good extended film. I can watch the 4 hour version of The Return of the King anytime and still find great joy in it. However, aside from a few extended effects shots, I don't think I really will ever need to watch the 100 minute version of OMYBC again. Just my opinion.I know this came out a while ago, just wasn't sure what the overall consensus was.
The extended version of One Million Years B.C. was the unedited British version. One question: did the Kino Lorber Blu-ray have the edited Brontosaurus scene from the film as a bonus feature on it or not?

This Blu-ray sounds good. I'd like to get it along with Warner Archive's Blu-ray-R release of the unedited British version of When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. Maybe I'd throw in the same company's Blu-ray-R release of Creatures the World Forgot just to complete the trilogy, but I'm not too sure about that one.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

Al Diplodocus wrote:Someone should make a crossover of all of Ray's works, made and unmade.

Also, one of my favourite unmade Harryhausen film was Skin and Bone, a comedy based off a story by Thorne Smith where a scientist who creates an alcohol-based substance that makes his skin and flesh invisible.

Concept sketch

Much smaller-scale then his usual work and a rare outright comedy from a guy who otherwise made giant monsters and fantastic creatures, but very interesting. I hear it was going to be given another try in the mid-80's, and I swear I read Tim Burton was going to be involved. This would have been right up the latter's ally, and it would be interesting to imagine if he directed this instead of Peewee or Beetlejuice.
And right up Harryhausen's alley. He was already well versed in animating skeletons.
Even a man who is pure at heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms, and the autumn moon is bright.

Life! Do you hear me?! Give my creation Liiiife!

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

If they make another Sinbad film and model it after the Harryhausen ones, they should use creatures that ended up on the cutting room floor during the production of said films. For example, Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger was supposed to include a Yeti, but it got swapped out with a giant walrus in the final film. Other good creatures to toss in would be that giant whale with an island on its back from actual Sinbad lore and maybe a Bunyip for Sinbad and his men to face if the weigh the anchor of the shores of Australia. If they end up in China for the film's final act, they could include the aforementioned Yeti, a Chinese Dragon and a Phoenix. One or more of those asian stone lion statues would be a welcomed inclusion as well.

As for a name for such a project, I think would be fitting to call it Sinbad and the Voyage to The East.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Star Falcon
Yojimbo

Post by Star Falcon »

There's a fantastic looking exhibition in Edinburgh, Scotland opening next weekend to celebrate his centenary. Large collection of all his creations will be on display. COVID-19 is obviously a major pain for just about anything right now, but hopefully everyone who's interested will get a chance to enjoy it whilst it is on.