Ray Harryhausen Film Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: Ray Harryhausen Film Discussion Thread

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Gwangi should have been a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
Funny you say this. The original version that was planned by Willis O'Brien, Harryhausen's mentor, originally had Gwangi as a T. rex. When the movie was recovered and made, Gwangi was made into an Allosaurus.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Funny you say this. The original version that was planned by Willis O'Brien, Harryhausen's mentor, originally had Gwangi as a T. rex. When the movie was recovered and made, Gwangi was made into an Allosaurus.
Is it true that Harryhausen did not know and/or care about the difference?

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

LegendZilla wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Is it true that Harryhausen did not know and/or care about the difference?
In one of his books, The Art Of Ray Harryhausen, he wrote that he liked to mix both dinosaurs to make one. It's safe to say that he did know that T. rex was much larger then Allosaurus.

ROMG4
JXSDF Technician

Post by ROMG4 »

I believe he only ever saw the difference between them in that one was bigger than the other

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

Either way, the only real way to tell is the finger count. I like the idea that Gwangi is a hybrid of the two.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

Kino Lorber released One Million Years B.C. on Blu-ray a while back.

There were two versions of the film on it, the longer U.K. version and the shorter U.S. version. Can someone please tell me what was cut from the first one in the second one? And does the Blu-ray at least have the cut Brontosaurus and the Rock Tribe scene from the film as a special feature in it?
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Angilasman
Interpol Agent

Post by Angilasman »

^ I can't recall off the top of my head what was cut, but watching the comparisons on that disk I felt that the edits were rather random, including a few snippets of effects footage which made an action scene confusing. I have no idea what the logic was behind some of these cuts.

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

Saw Valley of Gwangi again. Spectacular film that shows Ray at his finest.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^It's a rather clever take on the King Kong premise, really, between the wildly different setting, the new moral angles of the cast, and the few religious motifs which show up. It's not a profound film or anything like that, but it's a solidly made film.
...And yeah, Harryhausen's dinosaurs look terrific here.

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Someone should make a remake or at least rerelease Gwangi like they did King Kong.

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Someone should make a remake or at least rerelease Gwangi like they did King Kong.
I feel like a Valley of Gwangi remake would have to make Gwangi and all the other creatures really innacurate looking to have the same feeling the original had, even if ridicule from Feathernazis come into play. Adding in the Allosaurus horns to his design is fine, but seeing an incredibly realistic Allo just ain't Gwangi. Even his purple color scheme is just so iconic to him it be a shame to change it.

TBH though, One Million Years B.C is more fit to be remade.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:Someone should make a remake or at least rerelease Gwangi like they did King Kong.
I feel like a Valley of Gwangi remake would have to make Gwangi and all the other creatures really innacurate looking to have the same feeling the original had, even if ridicule from Feathernazis come into play. Adding in the Allosaurus horns to his design is fine, but seeing an incredibly realistic Allo just ain't Gwangi. Even his purple color scheme is just so iconic to him it be a shame to change it.

I've seen this art of what a modern day Gwangi could look like.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Wow it's...extremely boring. I hope this never happens.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I've seen more personality filled Allosaurus in documentaries.

#TeamMothra
#SheDoesn'tFight,JustHasANiceDayAndIsDisappointedInTheLackOfChill

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: I've seen this art of what a modern day Gwangi could look like.
Yay for incredibly late reply because my computer decided to act up for no reason!

And yeah Gwangi is gonna need more life in his eyes than that. His expressions should be like that of the MonsterVerse Titans, anything less and he somehow looks more dead than his stop motion counterpart. :lol:

Cryptid_Liker
Futurian

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote: I've seen this art of what a modern day Gwangi could look like.
Yay for incredibly late reply because my computer decided to act up for no reason!

And yeah Gwangi is gonna need more life in his eyes than that. His expressions should be like that of the MonsterVerse Titans, anything less and he somehow looks more dead than his stop motion counterpart. :lol:
Just know there's worse.
Here's a more Jurassic Park-esque Gwangi to cleanse your eyes.

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Just know there's worse.
[/img]
EDGE. EDGE. E D G E YES EDGE

Seriously how hard can it be to slightly modernize a classic 60's dinosaur?

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Post by H-Man »

This week I ordered Brazilian releases of:

Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
Golden Voyage of Sinbad
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
Jason and the Argonauts
Three Worlds of Gulliver
The Mysterious Island

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

tyrantgoji wrote:

Yeah, seeing that it's already a far superior remake of One Million B.C. (1940) (which, believe it or not, is now on DVD at least (I'm surprised there's even a complete print of it left, seeing as how it was cut up for stock footage that was used in so many other films)).

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote:[quote="tyryantgoji

Yeah, seeing that it's already a far superior remake of One Million B.C. (1940) (which, believe it or not, is now on DVD at least (I'm surprised there's even a complete print of it left, seeing as how it was cut up for stock footage that was used in so many other films)).[/quote]

The original 1940 version's is just that one film that's so infamous that letting it fall into the test of time is a tragedy, although the method of how they made the "dinosaurs" is much more of a tragedy. (that poor monitor lizard..can't believe they just let it get killed)

A big budget remake that's a mix of both versions (minus animal cruelty) is the way to go.