Ray Harryhausen Film Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Kaiju-King42
Keizer

Re: Ray Harryhausen Film Discussion Thread

Post by Kaiju-King42 »

Rody wrote:
gigan72 wrote:Large bump, but Mysterious Island sold out a couple days ago, and I wound up getting one of the last ten copies available. Arrived today in mint condition. Never seen it before, so i'm excited to see it.
Mysterious Island is a decidedly less epic, action-packed film, but it's still a solid science fiction/adventure movie with some impressive beasties.
...And the blu-ray is gorgeous. 8-)

Oh, and it was confirmed a few months ago that Kino plans to release One Million Years B.C. :huge:
Finally! Can't find a DVD/blu ray of that movie anywhere. It'll be nice to have a legit copy.
JAGzilla wrote: Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

repticulous
Ronin

Post by repticulous »

My favorite Harryhausen movie is VALLEY OF GWANGI, mostly for sentimental reasons.
But objectively speaking, I would have to name THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD and JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS as his best movies overall.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Heads up to those who missed any of the Sinbad films: Indicator will be releasing all 3 as well as Mysterious Island and First Men on the Moon on region free bluray in the upcoming months.

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

The first Ray Harryhausen movie that I ever saw was The Golden Voyage of Sinbad when it first came out in 1974. I've loved it ever since.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

The dragon thread had me thinking about this so I thought I'd go ahead and bump this - who are your favorite Ray Harryhausen creatures?

You can see a more detailed rundown of his work here: http://www.harryhausen.com/

My Top 10 would be - Mighty Joe Young, Rhedosaur, Ymir, Cyclops, Dragon, Talos, Hydra, Gwangi, Medusa and Kraken.
~ Tyler

"... the whole world could wake up and live again."

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Talos and the skeletons are my favorites- but there's an embarrasment of riches to choose between for second place...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

My top three are the Ymir, skeletons, and Medusa. The Ymir was portrayed with character and emotion, and it evokes both sympathy and ferocity. The skeletons are a signature creation for Harryhausen. Not only do they appear in two films, but the climax of Argonauts is one of the most exciting moments in a Harryhausen film. Medusa is Harryhausen's most chilling creation. The lighting of the temple and the sound of her rattle tail make for a tense and frightening creature encounter.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

Somebody needs to make a modern Sinbad movie and model it after the Harryhausen ones.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Here are mine.

1. Rhedosaurus. This animal and the movie, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms put Ray Harryhausen on the map.

2. Gwangi. One of the best dinosaur movies ever made. Bonus points for it being a modified version of a lost Willis O'Brien project.

3. Hydra. This one really took a lot of work to animate. How it dies is a bit disappointing, but the animation more then makes up for it.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I like 'em BIG, so Rhedosaurus, Ymir, Talos, in no particular order...

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

The giant squirrel hands down. Probably the scariest and most intimating monster ever put on film.

tbeasley
Gotengo Officer

Post by tbeasley »

Titan Books is releasing a book covering Harryhausen's unrealized projects -
https://www.rayharryhausen.com/harryhau ... st-movies/

Their previous book covered film posters -
https://titanbooks.com/9357-harryhausen ... e-posters/
~ Tyler

"... the whole world could wake up and live again."

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

Comes out in August. I'll definitely try to get this one.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Just watched First Men in the Moon for the first time because of this thread.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Post by MorgansTShirt »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:The giant squirrel hands down. Probably the scariest and most intimating monster ever put on film.
To be fair, a giant squirrel would be legitimately unnerving. And it would be impressive to see such a small, sleek, athletic creature scampering around as a giant. I can already imagine a fantasy jungle or woodland with these colossal rodents darting through shadows and oversized leaves, and it captivates my mind.

Anyway, my favorite creatures, if you can even call them that, are no doubt the figurehead and Kali. They're some of the most eerie and mesmerizing things I've seen on TV. The slow-moving figurehead could easily be the subject of an anxiety-evoking dream. Harryhausen would have been terrific for a surrealistic horror film.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Celebrating 50 years of The Valley Of Gwangi.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Gwangi should have been a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Nah theres too many tyrannosaurs in cinema. Nice to have a good ol Allosaur in charge again

#TeamMothra
#SheDoesn'tFight,JustHasANiceDayAndIsDisappointedInTheLackOfChill

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Nah theres too many tyrannosaurs in cinema. Nice to have a good ol Allosaur in charge again
Agreed. This is why i loved how the Spinosaurus was the main baddie in JP3. I love myself some T-Rex but there's tons more giant carnivore saurians that need spotlight!

Also we need a Charchardontosaurus as a main dino villain sometime,in any media.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

T-Rex or nothing. You can't snub the King.