Ray Harryhausen Film Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
20th Century Boy
Futurian

Ray Harryhausen Film Discussion Thread

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I'm pretty sure we all love monster movies. Ray Harryhausen pushed the boundaries on monster effects and worked on some pretty darn good sci-fi and fantasy films. Discuss these films on this thread! Which one is your favorite? Which one had the best effects? Worst effects? Do you appreciate his "colorized" remasters of his 50's sci-fi movies?

Here is a list of Harryhausen movies I've seen, from best to worst:

Mighty Joe Young
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
Clash of the Titans
The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms
First Men in the Moon
Jason and the Argonauts
20 Million Miles to Earth
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
It Came From Beneath the Sea
Mysterious Island

I have yet to see Valley of Gwangi or One Million Years B.C. Anyways, discuss!

eabaker

Re: Ray Harryhausen Film Discussion Thread

Post by eabaker »

I love Harryhausen, but, for my tastes, Jason and the Argonauts is heads and tails above anything else he ever worked on. Not just because his own work was so utterly incredible, but also because story, performance, cinematography, and direction were all in top form there.

I think I'd rank Golden Voyage of Sinbad right after that, because it moves so well and is so much fun.

I have huge nostalgia for Clash of the Titans, and find the human characters really engaging.

I have lots of Harryhausen thoughts, but also a busy day ahead, and it is shower time.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

The B&W '50s movies will always be B&W to me.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Tamura wrote:The B&W '50s movies will always be B&W to me.
I think it works best for 20 Million Miles to Earth. Earth vs. the Flying Saucers is definitely a black and white movie, but I'm fine with either one for It Came From Beneath the Sea.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Gwangi is probably my overall favorite but Mysterious Island and 7th Voyage of Sinbad are both really good too.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

God I've enjoyed so many of the films he has worked on. Not only does the stop motion rock, but so do the stories and memorable characters! Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of the Titans, Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, and The Valley of Gwangi are my favorites.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:I don't know why, but I always liked that rendition of Hercules.
Because Nigel Green is skreeonking awesome. That's reason enough.

Seriously, though, I've always felt that, since Hercules's strength is essentially mystical, he doesn't need to be big and bulky. Green looks strong, but he doesn't look like a bodybuilder, and Hercules shouldn't be a bodybuilder.

Plus, Green has a mixture of arrogance and sadness that suits a character with such a difficult history.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

Jason and the Argonauts is great, but my personal favorite is 7th Voyage of Sinbad, everything in it is just as memorable, the Cyclops, the Dragon, and the 1st skeleton fight before Jason and the Argonauts. It's AWESOME!!!!!!!
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

eabaker wrote:I love Harryhausen, but, for my tastes, Jason and the Argonauts is heads and tails above anything else he ever worked on. Not just because his own work was so utterly incredible, but also because story, performance, cinematography, and direction were all in top form there.
The skeleton fight is probably my favorite cinematic stop motion moment ever. It's mind-bogglingly awesome.
bleep bloop

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I do like Harryhausen's work very much. I grew up with a few of his movies, and sought out the rest later on. I think I'll agree that Jason and the Argonauts is probably his best film, both on his part and the rest.
I should seek out a few of them again. It's been years since I saw It Came From Beneath the Sea or The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

The only Harryhausen movie I struggle to get through is THE 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER. ONE MILLION YEARS B.C is pretty tough too, but it has Raquel Welch and dinosaurs. My favorite is 7TH VOYAGE, followed by MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (which I watched last night).
Resized Image

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^ Haven't watched MYSTERIOUS ISLAND in years. Gotta see that one again.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

My uncle gave me Beast and Gwangi about a month ago.

Beast was pretty good, but Gwangi was really boring and, of course, the dinosaur moments were the only highlight.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

I enjoy the majority of his films. Beast, It Came From, 20 Million miles, Gwangi, and Jason rank as my tops.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

U-Tom
Monarch Researcher

Post by U-Tom »

I'd have to say Clash of the Titans really stands out to me since I really like greek mythos. Second would have to be First Men in the Moon just love those insect aliens and there brain bug leader. :mrgreen: Sadly I haven't fully seen his Sinbad movies or Jason and the Argonauts.

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

^
They're awesome, especially 7th Voyage of Sinbad, & Jason & the Argonauts.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

CTHimes wrote:The only Harryhausen movie I struggle to get through is THE 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER.
I actually really enjoy that one. It's not a masterpiece, but it gets some laughs out of me.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

No love for Mighty Joe Young? I know it's not entirely his movie; it's a collaboration between him and Willis O'Brien. However, he still did about 80% of the animation and it was a great movie. I think it had a lot more personality and heart than King Kong.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

20th Century Boy wrote:No love for Mighty Joe Young? I know it's not entirely his movie; it's a collaboration between him and Willis O'Brien. However, he still did about 80% of the animation and it was a great movie. I think it had a lot more personality and heart than King Kong.
Mighty Joe Young is a good movie, and really under-appreciated I think. It takes the idea of the friendly heroic ape from Son of Kong and places him in the original film's premise (more or less), creating a great sense of things having come full circle if you accept it as the third part of a trilogy with King Kong and Son of Kong.

As for Harryhausen overall, I love his work for the most part. I've been surprised to realize that Harryhausen fans and Tokusatsu fans seem to be such mutually exclusive fandoms, I love both and can't see how you can like one but not the other.

My favorite? Hm...it fluctuates, but I'm thinking it may be The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, but I dearly love The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, and in particular The Valley of Gwangi and 20 Million Miles to Earth. I think at this point, the only Harryhausen movie I haven't seen is The Three Worlds of Gulliver. ^_^

About the only Harryhausen films I didn't like were It Came From Beneath the Sea (GREAT monster and FX, awful acting and REALLY annoying unnecessary narration) and Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Eh, if you haven't seen 'Gulliver', it's no biggie. One of my LEAST favorite Harryhausen flicks...

I don't own it, nor would I want to.