Ray Harryhausen Film Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Re: Ray Harryhausen Film Discussion Thread

Post by edgaguirus »

I would love to see that. If only it wasn't across the pond.
Even a man who is pure at heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms, and the autumn moon is bright.

Life! Do you hear me?! Give my creation Liiiife!

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

edgaguirus wrote:I would love to see that. If only it wasn't across the pond.
I'm sure there'll always be a chance once plane travel gets a bit less strict due to COVID. Or at least i hope, i wanna see the Harryhausen exhibit!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

One thing I like about Valley of Gwangi is that the lead female, TJ Beckinridge is not a screaming damsel in distress. She’s an assertive and independent woman with the bonus of being a redhead!
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Harryhausen's films are proof you don't need to be Japanese to make entertaining monster movies and effects. All of his work is excellent, but I am gonna say the Ymir is my personal favorite. The Kraken is a nice second because of the resemblance between the two.

canofhumdingers
G-Force Personnel

Post by canofhumdingers »

In the last month or so I’ve introduced my kids to some Harryhausen goodness. We started with The Valley of Gwangi. They loved it and my four year older still talks about it and how he wants to watch it again. I mean, cowboys and dinosaurs... what little boy wouldn’t love it?!

Then just a couple days ago we watched The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. We had watched the old Fleischer Bros cartoon about Popeye meeting Sinbad not long ago and they’ve kinda been infatuated with Sinbad the Sailor ever since. Of course they were absolutely glued to the screen from start to finish. The Skeleton duel and the dragon were big highlights, naturally.

It is so much fun rewatching all these old movies that I’ve loved for years through the eyes of my kids now. It’s awesome seeing them react to these films as if they’re brand new (which of course, they are to them).
“Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind.”
~The Doctor

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:59 pm I think Sinbad's swordfight with Kali is second only to the skeleton fight from Jason and the Argonauts in terms of Harryhausen's achievements in blending stop-motion with live-action. Argonauts is probably my second favorite Harryhausen film, but Golden Voyage slightly wins out because I'm a bit bothered by Argonauts' cliffhanger ending; I sorely wish it had gotten a sequel in which Jason reclaims his throne from Pelias.

As to Harryhausen's sci-fi films, I've always been partial to Earth vs. the Flying Saucers and 20 Million Miles to Earth.
I can grant your wish for a sequel to Jason and the Argonaunts, HIBG.

BlueWater Productions (as it was known at the time; it's now known as TidalWave Productions) made a comic book miniseries called Jason and the Argonauts: The Kingdom of Hades which, I think, picks up where the film left off and concludes it. There was also another story called Jason and the Argonauts: Final Chorus.

There might be trade paperbacks of these two as well, but I'm not sure about that.

They also made another comic book miniseries called Flying Saucers vs. the Earth, which was the same story as the film, but told from the aliens' POV. I don't know if there's a trade paperback for this one, though.

There's a Wikipedia article on TidalWave Productions if you want to check it out.

Hope all this helps.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

Omegazilla wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:45 pm Harryhausen's films are proof you don't need to be Japanese to make entertaining monster movies and effects. All of his work is excellent, but I am gonna say the Ymir is my personal favorite. The Kraken is a nice second because of the resemblance between the two.
Count me as an Ymir fan as well.
Even a man who is pure at heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms, and the autumn moon is bright.

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

I would like to clarify a common source of confusion for many fans of Harryhausen. Many people think that the dragon from The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad is named Taro. This assumption is based on viewers of the film mishearing Sakourah when calling the beast. Many years ago, when I watched the film on DVD, the subtitles said “Follow!”.

*edit* Here’s a source backing up my claim :

https://gwangipedia.fandom.com/wiki/Taro
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiju-King42
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaiju-King42 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:16 am I would like to clarify a common source of confusion for many fans of Harryhausen. Many people think that the dragon from The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad is named Taro. This assumption is based on viewers of the film mishearing Sakourah when calling the beast. Many years ago, when I watched the film on DVD, the subtitles said “Follow!”.

So what you're saying is the dragon's real name is "Follow."

Gotchya. ;)
JAGzilla wrote: Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:49 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:16 am I would like to clarify a common source of confusion for many fans of Harryhausen. Many people think that the dragon from The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad is named Taro. This assumption is based on viewers of the film mishearing Sakourah when calling the beast. Many years ago, when I watched the film on DVD, the subtitles said “Follow!”.

So what you're saying is the dragon's real name is "Follow."

Gotchya. ;)
He is giving the dragon commands to follow him.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

"The name “Taro “ was dubbed by a YOUtube poster , InfernoRoldan, who apparently did not speak English as a first language."

:lol:

Anyway, it's no secret that Taro isn't the dragon's official name. I've confirmed as much on several occasions. And technically Monster Master is the originator of the name, as he's the one that misheard the dialogue well over 15 years ago (probably closer to 20) at this point. We just stuck with Taro as the name because just calling it "The Dragon" in its bio on the Monster Archives would have felt wrong. And it seems we were right in that decision, since the name's stuck around for so long even after the death of the Archives.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

Inferno Rodan wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:43 am

"The name “Taro “ was dubbed by a YOUtube poster , InfernoRoldan, who apparently did not speak English as a first language."

:lol:

Anyway, it's no secret that Taro isn't the dragon's official name. I've confirmed as much on several occasions. And technically Monster Master is the originator of the name, as he's the one that misheard the dialogue well over 15 years ago (probably closer to 20) at this point. We just stuck with Taro as the name because just calling it "The Dragon" in its bio on the Monster Archives would have felt wrong. And it seems we were right in that decision, since the name's stuck around for so long even after the death of the Archives.
Back in the day, the movie had a comic adaptation where the dragon was named "Magog". Would that be a suitable alternative?

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

We could call it that, but the name Taro has been used so long that people will still likely call it Taro.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Have any of you seen this cool tribute?

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

Lovely tribute to a titan of film.

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

That was excellent! I think even Ray would've loved it.

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

7th Voyage is my favorite of all of Harryhausen films. I am almost 45, and I'm sure my dad showed it to me around the age of 4. It is embedded with my earliest memories of Godzilla movies. As far as I am aware, the Dragon never had a name. Even when X-PLus made the Harryhausen Films line of vinyl toys in the late 90's, there was a 24 inch (Huge), long , and a smaller 12 inch Dragon, and it was simply called "Dragon", that's it.

I got to meet him at SDCC in 98 or 99 (cant remember exactly...) I was fanboying so hard however, I never thought to ask if HE had ever named the Dragon.
Last edited by o.supreme on Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!