King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by Bluezilla »

King Louis in the live action Jungle Book was basically an Orangakong.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

AK Siwach wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:01 pm
The Octopus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:28 am
Gigantis wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 am Wasn't one of Universal's concepts for The Legend of King Kong a more human/ape hybrid monster?
So that was the original design for the 1976 Kong? Not gonna lie pushing Kong to a more human appearance just looks awful. I think "neither beast nor man" as we know him is perfect. Not just an overgrown gorilla like 2005, but not so human that he just looks like a giant human.
No it was concept art from Universal's Legend of King Kong which was always separate from King Kong 1976 shame that film got canned I much prefer that over the 1976 film minus that atrocious caveman design

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think a return to a giant silverback gorilla ala Kong 05 somewhere down the line would be very beneficial to the character and his kind.

People care for animals now more so than they have in decades (or centuries depending on eco perspective), gorillas are on a very sharp decline. So awareness could be spread a bit, similar to how Ben Affleck raised charity money for the Bat foundation during his promo of BVS.

Plus I mean, 05 Kong had something MV Kong doesn't, and I can't place my finger on what it was. Playful curiosity? Initial primal arrogance with Anne? The ability to drop 3 V-Rexes with one hand tied behind his back?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:17 am Playful curiosity?
Maybe thats it. Take a look at this gorilla playing with its son. The look on his face is exactly like Kong's when he was playing with Ann.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I wouldn’t have an issue with Kong’s design being slightly modified, in fact there’s a lot of variation between the designs we have. I think though it should always be on a sort of “gorilla” to “chimpanzee” spectrum. If you’re going to have more varieties of Monkey/Ape monsters(like the Mandrill) , I’d prefer at that point maybe just make it something separate, like a rival or monster for Kong to fight.

I agree with Jnavs that Kong worked fine in 2005 as a very standard Gorilla, but I also think the original 1933 design is fine, as is the skull island/my design. Unlike Godzilla, while there’s hints of worship, Kong isn’t a fantastical bizarre world ending monster. It’s a sympathetic beast. It’s okay to keep things simple.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The Octopus wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:58 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:17 am Playful curiosity?
Maybe thats it. Take a look at this gorilla playing with its son. The look on his face is exactly like Kong's when he was playing with Ann.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1TVgKypBwE
I watched this video and loved it!

The Philadelphia Zoo has had gorillas for as long as I can remember and they've always seemed to be happy and well cared for. I haven't been there in a long time and this sure brought back some good memories. Thanks!
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

tbeasley wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:03 amI might be watching The Mighty Kong (1998) in the coming days, so god help me.
I did it, I watched the thing.

Couldn't help but wonder what a Disney Renaissance (1989-99) era Kong adaptation would be like, instead we got this sorry thing. It's like 70 mins long but feels twice as long as the Jackson version.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

WB farmed the animation out to some tiny European studio. That's why it was so cheap looking. Seriously it felt like an early 80s cartoon with some really bad and unecessary musical numbers. Just imagine if WB had done the animation and gave it some decent production values? It could have been epic. I mean you had Dudley Moore voicing Carl Denham for crying out loud.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

The Octopus wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:54 am WB farmed the animation out to some tiny European studio. That's why it was so cheap looking. Seriously it felt like an early 80s cartoon with some really bad and unecessary musical numbers. Just imagine if WB had done the animation and gave it some decent production values? It could have been epic. I mean you had Dudley Moore voicing Carl Denham for crying out loud.
I couldn't get through even a review of it. That's how painful it was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGEy6ofJ_RA

Its honestly at the bottom of my Kong films, TBH

But yeah, I do wish more effort was put into it, ass= do all of you

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Konk is griller! Only griller!
Lol in all seriousness Kong should be a gorilla, but I'm open to new ape kaiju or caveman critters
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:19 pm Konk is griller! Only griller!
Lol in all seriousness Kong should be a gorilla, but I'm open to new ape kaiju or caveman critters
I’ve always liked Kong as being somewhere between Sasquatch and gorilla. I’d have said gigantopithecus 30 years ago but it’s thought to be a giant orangutan now. Think it adds more mystery to the character and legend as an unknown hominid.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kong as a big gorilla or a gorilla with minor human elements is what works best. As long as Kong looks like an ape of some sort I'm satisfied.

That caveman like design might work if you did a film like Eegah, where a giant sub human is found.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Bluezilla wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:24 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:19 pm Konk is griller! Only griller!
I’ve always liked Kong as being somewhere between Sasquatch and gorilla. I’d have said gigantopithecus 30 years ago but it’s thought to be a giant orangutan now. Think it adds more mystery to the character and legend as an unknown hominid.
Is Gigantopithecus really thought to be a big orangutan??
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Yes. In the same clade. Got the analysis from tooth studies. Evidence seems solid. http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/gi ... 07804.html

On the topic of O’Brien wanting Kong to be more human like you need to remember that we are discussing early 1900’s ideas of primitive man. This is the reconstruction distributed to newspapers around the world in 1909 when they discovered the first complete Neanderthal skull. https://www.google.com/search?q=1909+ne ... YeCGTOQf6M
Last edited by Bluezilla on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

As part of my marathon leading up to Kong vs. Godzilla, I re-watched the original King Kong 33'. Solid flick, and easily way ahead of it's time. Obviously, some of it is outdated by todays standards, mostly socially. However, still great and will always be significant. One thing I liked is how Kong is a mystery up until you see him. The film isn't burdened by modern acts and film structures, such as a cold opening kill. We don't see Kong until around an hour in, and it must have been shocking for audiences at the time, how he sort of just suddenly appears.

Also I want to talk about something I realized about how it might relate to Godzilla. While minor, I couldn't help but notice how there's some similarities: An Island with it's own superstitions and natives, and a group of outsiders go there. They encounter the monster, and the monster winds up in a big city. Fairly standard stuff by todays standards, but I recognized a similar pattern to 54. Additionally, Kong must be the first movie monster to destroy a train? The way Godzilla destroys the train in 54 must have been inspired by Kong attacking the platform train in 33...

I do have to say something controversial though: I don't remember the film's characters being so bland. Jack and Ann are iconic, as is Carl, but that's about it. The rest of the characters are either stereotypes or do nothing, and it's all very surface level. It's fun though...but still!

Next Kong film I'm gonna watch after Gojira is KKVG and then KKE. Should be fun!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I wonder whatever happened to that live-action King Kong: Skull Island show. I'm gonna assume it's now part of the many scrapped kaiju projects out there now because there really no news on it now. Though considering it was supposed to be made by the WCW (the company infamous for that Batgirl TV show) and it apparently was gonna have a, and i quote, "a female-led, multicultural ensemble."

Ehhh maybe it's for the best it's not happening :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:12 am
I do have to say something controversial though: I don't remember the film's characters being so bland. Jack and Ann are iconic, as is Carl, but that's about it. The rest of the characters are either stereotypes or do nothing, and it's all very surface level. It's fun though...but still!

I don't think that is a controversial opinion at all. I think it's more that the other characters are just not talked about at all. When you watch the original King Kong, there is more to focus on between the three main actors, the music, the atmosphere, the special effects, and the historic significance of the time period that really the other characters just fade in the background and are just there to use as plot devices. Say what you will about Son of Kong, Captain Englehorn and Charlie do get more characterization to work with (even if Charlie is still a stereotype, he is a more lovable heroic stereotype in Son of Kong and is more proactive). Even critical review of King Kong is either talking about the history of the film, the time period, the acting of Robert Armstrong, Fray Way, or Bruce Cabot, the beauty and the beast characterization, the controversial racial undertones of the time period, the special effects innovation, the music, ect... In fact, what I just mentioned is further evidence of the film's characters being so bland.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:12 am I do have to say something controversial though: I don't remember the film's characters being so bland. Jack and Ann are iconic, as is Carl, but that's about it.
Honestly, I wouldn't even count Jack as particularly interesting...

I do get a kick out of Captain Englehorn, though. Not that he's anything especially unique as a character, but lie most of the cast, he does a solid job playing his type.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:12 amAlso I want to talk about something I realized about how it might relate to Godzilla. While minor, I couldn't help but notice how there's some similarities: An Island with it's own superstitions and natives, and a group of outsiders go there. They encounter the monster, and the monster winds up in a big city. Fairly standard stuff by todays standards, but I recognized a similar pattern to 54. Additionally, Kong must be the first movie monster to destroy a train? The way Godzilla destroys the train in 54 must have been inspired by Kong attacking the platform train in 33...
The whole cast and crew sat around and watched a screening of King Kong on the Toho lot before production began on Godzilla so probably.
Last edited by The Octopus on Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:57 am I wonder whatever happened to that live-action King Kong: Skull Island show. I'm gonna assume it's now part of the many scrapped kaiju projects out there now because there really no news on it now. Though considering it was supposed to be made by the WCW (the company infamous for that Batgirl TV show) and it apparently was gonna have a, and i quote, "a female-led, multicultural ensemble."

Ehhh maybe it's for the best it's not happening :lol:
You mean the Batwoman show? Or something else?