IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by kaijukurt »

Great news!

A new series for younger readers makes perfect business sense, given the rise of comics targeting those same demographics.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

If it's good I'll enjoy it, outside target audience or not.
Can't wait for that pack coming next year.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Well, I'm very surprised by this. Please let James Stokoe do another series!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Here's some other things to note:
IDW Publishing and Toho International, Inc. have announced a multi-year partnership that will see the iconic kaijū — along with Rodan, King Ghidorah, Mothra and many more monsters — appear across a line of publishing projects, including comic books, art books, journals, puzzles and coloring books over the next few years. IDW will have worldwide distribution for these projects, with the exception of certain Asian markets.
We're getting more than just comics. I hope we see some Visual History books much like what IDW's published for the Transformers series.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Glad to hear! A book for younger readers is a good idea, too.
UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:05 pm We're getting more than just comics. I hope we see some Visual History books much like what IDW's published for the Transformers series.
Yes! I'd love for them to do "Art of" and BTS books. There's certainly enough official book in Japan to translate.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Pleasant news! Looks like IDW's recent big success with TLR is opening the door for better projects and relationships.

I'm so happy to hear Toho finally getting around to branching out more, Godzilla series aimed at different ages is a great idea. I'd love to hear about kids being introduced to Godzilla this way, and about new mature stories hooking older audiences.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:52 am IDW's back.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ce=twitter

VERY excited for the new mini-series, even if it's aimed for younger readers. That creative team is awesome.
That's seriously awesome, really enjoyed a lot of the comics they published, hopefully any new ones they make are just as good.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The train don't stop!
Looks like we will have lots of Godzilla content in 2021! What a pleasant surprise. Finally some things to keep looking forward to.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Please let them bring out Godzilla: The IDW Era Part 21

And while we're at it, why not continue the ongoing storyline and put Minilla in it (the 2004 version, I hope) like they wanted to do in the first place? Better than that, why not have Minilla actually grow up into an adult Godzilla right before our very eyes?

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Given the art style and team involved, this thankfully doesn't seem to be chancing to edge in on the same territory IDW initially did with Kingdom of Monsters before course correcting. Which you know what? I'm for. With all the reasonably serious G properties as of late, I'm game for something more like the Random House novels and Showa era.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I hate to be a party pooper, but an all children’s cast aimed at middle readers? Not looking good
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Well i guess i'll give this thing my read. Looks harmless enough. Getting some weird Camp Cretaceous vibes from the kids though.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Not something I myself would read, but I love that it's targeting young kids, as its a good thing to keep the fandom going. I know I would have loved this as a youngling. Plus, it could open new doors for IDW if it does well.
He Jock it Made of Steel

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

So is Godzilla going to be the good guy? This is a kids series after all

Added in 11 minutes 55 seconds:
>they have twins
>potentially representing Mothra and battra

Oh God, every kid represents a kaiju.

Left girl is Rodan, right kid is Anguirus, Center is Godzilla. Calling it now.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

... And? We've seen plenty of attempts at a very mature Godzilla, some of which were home runs, some of which were decent, and some which fell completely on their face. Honestly, a more upbeat or heroic incarnation isn't inherently worse and the bar for kid friendly content has been raised quite a bit as of the last few years. A good example I'd find is the previously mentioned Random House novels. They'd be approachable by kids sure, I even remember them in my Elementary school library, but they still had great monster clashes and good action scenes.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Fake's a fan of heroic Godzilla, so he's not complaining.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:21 pm Fake's a fan of heroic Godzilla, so he's not complaining.
My apologies then :)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

As long as it has some fun ideas I don’t care if it’s aimed at a younger demographic. It just means we probably won’t wind up with some of the finally darker stuff like Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters issue 1 or Godzilla In Hell.

And Idw is smart, there will be more Godzilla which is awesome.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Wish they'd release some of the Japanese Godzilla books over here. An localization of the making of Shin Godzilla book would be a definite buy for me.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:39 pm Wish they'd release some of the Japanese Godzilla books over here. An localization of the making of Shin Godzilla book would be a definite buy for me.