Bagan Info

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Bagan Info

Post by BlankAccount »

Source: https://www.facebook.com/SuperGodzillaG ... =3&theater

Revealed: Bagan's Hidden Abilities! A Monster Compendium

For years, books have circulated in the Japanese market featuring Godzilla and his foes, but few contained details regarding the elusive monster, Bagan. Finally, in 2011, a much closer look at the anatomy of the beast was released in the "Mothra Movie Anniversary Chronicles", as well as additional information the following year in "Heisei Godzilla Perfection". And after several months of digging around, purchasing, writing, and translating, I'm ready to at last share the results of this collection!

* Wings of Light
Bagan has the capability to create massive wings of pure energy from the sides of his body, which enable him to fly. The Wings of Light are formed from his large shoulder protrusions, specifically from the orbs on certain designs. He is also capable of forming the wings underwater.

* Extendable Claws
When in melee combat, Bagan can increase his hand claws to over double their length instantaneously. Strangely, it appears that all but his thumb claw can increase in length.

* Quick Tail
Bagan can crack his tail like a massive whip. A majority of his designs have some sort of talon or multiple spires at the end of it, which makes this especially painful! On the subject of his tail, it was also intended to be made even longer than some official artwork depicts, only increasing its effectiveness.

* Movable Head Horns
While this quirk is never gone into full detail, Bagan can move the three horns on his head: his signature nasal horn can move upwards and downwards about 40° like a lever, while his two other horns can adjust themselves about 25° forward, backward, upward, or downward. It's assumed this makes arcing the electricity between his horns easier to manipulate, or for other offensive reasons.

* Body Armor
Bagan's entire body is covered with an "outer shell" made of an extremely durable bone-like armor. This makes him highly resilient to physical attacks. Small details include natural dents and cracks on the armor.

* Electric Amplification
Bagan uses electricity to amplify the power of his attacks. Small electric bolts surge over his body while this occurs. The electricity can course between his head horns, down his arms to his claws, or over nearly the entirety of his body. This is showcased best in his premiere video game appearance "Super Godzilla" (1993) for the Super Nintendo.

* Land, Sea, and Air
Already formidable on land, Bagan can fly, and is an adept swimmer. These abilities are likely a reference to his old concept from the canned "The Reawakening of Godzilla" (1980) film, where he was intended to be three separate creatures (a land beast, a sea beast, and a dragon beast) that could combine into one. This totem appearance was considered to return for "Mothra vs. Bagan" (1991), but the new movie's script ended up being a major influence for the design of the singular titan known today.

* Poison Weakness
Despite being a physical juggernaut, Bagan responds poorly to poison, specifically Mothra's yellow scales. In the script for the unmade "Mothra vs. Bagan" (1991), Bagan retreats to the sea after being enveloped by Mothra's scales, which exhausts the former and kills the latter. However, after resting for a time, Bagan ends up returning to the surface somehow becoming even more powerful.

Other trivia!

* Title
In Japanese, Bagan is almost always referred to with the title 「魔獣バガン」 - "Magical" or "Devil Beast Bagan".

* Creation & Personality
A Chinese dragon from ancient times, Bagan is connected to the aliens responsible for the Nazca Lines in southern Peru. Despite being a guardian of the forests and smaller creatures, he is referred to as a "god of darkness," and is as ruthless as he is strong. In "Mothra vs. Bagan" (1991), he was sealed by Mothra in the Himalayas long ago. Bagan is eventually awakened by an avalanche, and the relentless deforestation of the planet is what drives him to cull humanity.

* Team Player
Despite his brutal personality, Bagan was intended to fight alongside a revived Orochi against Yamato Takeru in the canned movie "Yamato Takeru II" (1997).

* Tomoyuki Tanaka's Troublesome Child
Regardless of his form, Bagan was one of Tomoyuki Tanaka's favorite monsters, Tomoyuki Tanaka being the man credited for the creation of Godzilla, the person who kickstarted the Godzilla franchise, and an ex-president of Toho. Not too surprising, given Mr. Tanaka had a hand in the original script featuring the demon beast all the way back in 1980! Mr. Tanaka was also the biggest influence for trying to push Bagan into various projects during the Heisei era - all the way up to his passing in 1997.

* Chinese & Japanese Mythology
The Druk, also known as the Thunder Dragon, is a Chinese dragon and national symbol in the country of Bhutan, a country at the eastern end of the Himalayas. It is said the founder of the Drukpa Lineage entered a valley, searching for a location to build a monastery, when a violent storm brewed. There, he heard three peals of thunder - a "cloud-voice" - and took it as an omen of the Druk. From his imprisonment in the Himalayas to his storm-based attacks and rumbling roar, Bagan was very likely influenced by this mythical creature. On the Japanese side, powerful mythical dragons are drawn with having three toes, with the Chinese variants having up to four or five. In both cultures, traditional dragons are drawn either holding or guarding round jewels, which symbolize luck or some sort of elemental power. In pre-"Super Godzilla" (1993) concepts of Bagan, round objects similar to these jewels can be seen incorporated into his design.

* Network of Artists
A number of familiar Japanese designers have had a hand in the molding of Bagan's appearance since his conception, including: Shinji Nishikawa; Yasushi Nirasawa; Hiroshi Aragaki; and Takashi Sonoyama. But the canonical signature design is credited to Minoru Yoshida, who was also responsible for the monster designs of Super Godzilla, SpaceGodzilla, Destoroyah, Moguera (1994), Battra, Mechagodzilla (1993), and Super Mechagodzilla. A very large number of concepts for Bagan exist, but only a handful have been shown in books.

* Creative Influence
Though never appearing in anything outside of video games, many aspects of Bagan were split into a variety of monsters in other media, including: Destoroyah [Godzilla vs. Destoroyah] (design); Battra [Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle for Earth] (personality); Desghidorah [Rebirth of Mothra] (early designs, origin); Balkzardan [Godzilla Trading Battle] (design); Kilazee [Ultraman: Towards the Future] (concept design); and Regenerated Birugamera [Ultraman: ウルトラ作戦 科特隊出動せよ!] (concept design).
[Note: It is highly likely the monster "Reizaus" from Super Star Fleet Sazer-X (超星艦隊セイザーX) was also been heavily inspired by Bagan. "Godzilla Heisei Perfection" notes that many Toho monster designs were used as the bases for enemy monsters in the Chouseishin series, such as Hedorah, Megalon, Mecha-King Ghidorah, Kiryu, and Biollante. However, Reizaus is never mentioned specifically.]

On the outside, Bagan appears to simply be a large powermonger with signature Heisei features and a lack of personality. But it turns out this couldn't be further from the truth, as his rich background is rooted deeply in mythology and Toho history. For now, this is all I've been able to find. But who knows what other details could surface in the future? Either way, I sincerely hope you enjoyed this read, and have become even just a little more enlightened on the abilities and history of Toho's most famous non-movie monster - the Demon Beast, Bagan! 魔獣バガン!!
smile emoticon
— with Bagan.
The horn thing reminds me of Legion using her Rail-Horn. Also interesting that he is capable of working with others.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Re: Bagan Info

Post by MoarCrossovers »

bagan can fucking fly?!?!

we're boned
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Abilities wise, I don't mind emphasizing the ones that currently exist or that are based on some of his physical attributes. Like having the Extendable Claws be an extension of his Slasher Claws or making note of the whip-like tail, those fine in my book. That said, granting him the wings of light... Have really mixed feelings about that for purposes of the KWC. I think the Energy Body will suffice. ;) That said, smaller characteristics like the moveable head horns I find to be a-okay.

But more importantly, especially in future matches, I really want to write a Bagan that has more complexity to him. And a lot of what's been uncovered thusfar can really add to that. There's some serious meat with this character that I think a TON of people tend to overlook (like how I was so many years ago). So I'm really excited to bring this vision of Bagan into fruition.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

KaijuX wrote:That said, granting him the wings of light... Have really mixed feelings about that for purposes of the KWC. I think the Energy Body will suffice. ;)
Out of all those listed, that's actually what I'd enjoy seeing implemented most. You figure since his Energy Body could float around, the regular form would be capable of some form of flight or levitation already... kind of like how we see MX float, and Keizer Ghidorah never uses his wings but you figure he could fly/levitate too. This would just be a much fancier way of doing it, and I doubt I'd get tired of seeing people have him sprout energy wings :P I only wonder if they could be used offensively since they're made of energy. I honestly cannot think of any other monsters who do this kind of thing.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

GigaBowserG wrote:
KaijuX wrote:That said, granting him the wings of light... Have really mixed feelings about that for purposes of the KWC. I think the Energy Body will suffice. ;)
Out of all those listed, that's actually what I'd enjoy seeing implemented most. You figure since his Energy Body could float around, the regular form would be capable of some form of flight or levitation already... kind of like how we see MX float, and Keizer Ghidorah never uses his wings but you figure he could fly/levitate too. This would just be a much fancier way of doing it, and I doubt I'd get tired of seeing people have him sprout energy wings :P I only wonder if they could be used offensively since they're made of energy. I honestly cannot think of any other monsters who do this kind of thing.
Eh, fair enough. :P
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

There better be a ton of Bagan/Orochi team matches!
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Also Mothra vs Bagan was gonna be a side story in the Heisei Godzilla series. That's right, unlike the Rebirth of Mothra films, it actually was gonna be in the same universe as Heisei Godzilla. The psychic Miki Saegusa was gonna be in it, if that name sounds familiar, it's cause she's the same psychic woman from Godzilla vs Biollante through Godzilla vs Destoroyah.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Living Corpse wrote:Also Mothra vs Bagan was gonna be a side story in the Heisei Godzilla series. That's right, unlike the Rebirth of Mothra films, it actually was gonna be in the same universe as Heisei Godzilla. The psychic Miki Saegusa was gonna be in it, if that name sounds familiar, it's cause she's the same psychic woman from Godzilla vs Biollante through Godzilla vs Destoroyah.
This is definitely true. Man how awesome that would've been. :D IIRC, the final fight was meant to be set in Singapore... I think.

Pair of kings.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Living Corpse wrote:Source: https://www.facebook.com/SuperGodzillaG ... =3&theater
The horn thing reminds me of Legion using her Rail-Horn. Also interesting that he is capable of working with others.
You should post this in the Heisei Section so more people learn about it.
Godzilla

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Small new bit of info!
https://www.facebook.com/20668069606242 ... =3&theater

Bagan's beam attack is officially referred to as his "Light Ray". I'll have to ask Anthony about this in regards to the game incarnation, unless the game's version is just differently named. Also, something about Mothra being stabbed, but that's not important :P

So he's a "god of darkness"... that uses light-based attacks. That's the best.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GodzillaLord
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaLord »

GigaBowserG wrote:Small new bit of info!
https://www.facebook.com/20668069606242 ... =3&theater

Bagan's beam attack is officially referred to as his "Light Ray". I'll have to ask Anthony about this in regards to the game incarnation, unless the game's version is just differently named. Also, something about Mothra being stabbed, but that's not important :P

So he's a "god of darkness"... that uses light-based attacks. That's the best.
I kind of like the idea of him being an evil being persay but he is almost a balance between light and darkness, he is an embodiment of the cycle of life and death in the KWC universe, a driving force with a purpose who's soul absorption kills his opponents but in a sense keeps them from dying and transcending to whatever realm lies beyond. Grand King Ghidorah embodies total darkness a transcendant godlike being who embodies only death and madness, by contrast a pladin like Mothra Leo embodies life and preservation above all else. Bagan is also a law of the universe, one that outlasts and even depowers King Ghidorah to a degree yet his power can be undone by a being nearly as strong as himself and another quintesstial force of nature one that embodies man's sins, the King of the Monsters at the height of his enormous power.
"I learned whence Cthulhu first came, and why half the great temporary stars of history had flared forth."
GodzillaLord wrote:
Birdman wrote:Do you like what you see?.
No. Given that the majority of Godzilla kaiju aren't sentient and are essentially just large animals, that's a little bit messed up. "Shrug", i digress do what you like, but i don't need the information.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

So does this mean Bagan will be allowed to use those powers in the KWC? Or is that still a no like Destoroyah's chest beam?
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

soulgodzilla wrote:So does this mean Bagan will be allowed to use those powers in the KWC? Or is that still a no like Destoroyah's chest beam?
As of this very instant, that's a nay.

Pair of kings.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

KaijuX wrote:
soulgodzilla wrote:So does this mean Bagan will be allowed to use those powers in the KWC? Or is that still a no like Destoroyah's chest beam?
As of this very instant, that's a nay.
Okay, but what about the poison weakness? Can I use that?
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

ACHINKONGGOJI
Yojimbo
Location: In a different universe in a universe in a universe

Post by ACHINKONGGOJI »

Can't we just add all of those abilities to Bagan's stats and save ourselfs a major headache (sorry if I sound mean here)?
Last edited by ACHINKONGGOJI on Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am a Kaiju Fan Boy/Artist and I do Cross Country and Track. Go Knights!!!
:monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :g2k: :baragon: :destoroyah: :basan: :bagan: :muto:

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

ACHINKONGGOJI wrote:Can't we just add all of those abilities to Bagan's stats and save ourselfs a major headache (sorry if I sound mean here)?
Best check the Combatant Statistics, mate. All the powers available are listed there.

Pair of kings.