Godzilla: Resurrection - The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, combined

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
anzilla
Samurai

Re: Godzilla: Resurrection - The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, combined

Post by anzilla »

G&G-Fan wrote:Btw, have you ever thought of doing what you did here with Gojira and "Godzilla, King of the Monsters!" Adding the Steve Martin scenes to the original Japanese film? Because, like this one, I feel like Raymond Burr actually did a pretty good performance and KOTM has lots of nostalgia factor for me, as even though I wasn't anywhere near alive when it came out in 1956, I would always watch the dubs as a kid and I watched KOTM a lot because it's always been one of my favorites. Of course I prefer the original Gojira, and KOTM removed a lot of really good stuff, but I can't bring myself to even have a fraction of hate for KOTM. And plus it would make for a nice prequel for this fan-edit. Not saying you're obligated to do it or anything, it's just a thought/suggestion.
You know, I wasn't at first, but upon completing this one, I've become enamored with the idea. This one will take a while to think about, however, as Gojira and KOTM have even more divergent styles of narrative than TROG and G85. I'm not sure if I would prefer to approach it as the film noir flashback story of KOTM or the more straight-forward Gojira approach, and there's the dilemma of either keeping Martin's interactions with the original cast or making him more of a silent observer.

In either case, I want to do a few non-Godzilla projects before I come back to that one. But for now, I'd say yes, I do plan to try that one in the future!
"Oh no, there goes Tokyo..."
https://damoviemaestro.tumblr.com/

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Gojira might be a little weirder, though. Considering Martin is actually THERE for the events, as opposed to being on the other side of the world in '85.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

anzilla wrote:
G&G-Fan wrote:Btw, have you ever thought of doing what you did here with Gojira and "Godzilla, King of the Monsters!" Adding the Steve Martin scenes to the original Japanese film? Because, like this one, I feel like Raymond Burr actually did a pretty good performance and KOTM has lots of nostalgia factor for me, as even though I wasn't anywhere near alive when it came out in 1956, I would always watch the dubs as a kid and I watched KOTM a lot because it's always been one of my favorites. Of course I prefer the original Gojira, and KOTM removed a lot of really good stuff, but I can't bring myself to even have a fraction of hate for KOTM. And plus it would make for a nice prequel for this fan-edit. Not saying you're obligated to do it or anything, it's just a thought/suggestion.
You know, I wasn't at first, but upon completing this one, I've become enamored with the idea. This one will take a while to think about, however, as Gojira and KOTM have even more divergent styles of narrative than TROG and G85. I'm not sure if I would prefer to approach it as the film noir flashback story of KOTM or the more straight-forward Gojira approach, and there's the dilemma of either keeping Martin's interactions with the original cast or making him more of a silent observer.

In either case, I want to do a few non-Godzilla projects before I come back to that one. But for now, I'd say yes, I do plan to try that one in the future!
It's certainly do-able. I made a version a few years back (unfortunately lost now >_> ) and I was pretty happy with the result. :) I actually still have the cut list:
Spoiler:
1. (JP) Opening credits.
2. (US) Steve Martin narrating as he awakes in the ruins of Tokyo.
3. (US) Steve Martin narrates as he's brought to the emergency hospital and meets Emiko Yamane.
4. (US) Steve Martin's flashback begins on the plane to Japan.
5. (JP) Godzilla attacks the Eiko-Maru.
6. (JP) Ogata cancels his date with Emiko.
7. (US) Steve Martin is stopped by security at the airport.
8. (US) Steve Martin meets Iwanaga.
9. (US) Iwanaga takes Steve to SDF Naval Office. (No Dialogue)
10. (JP) Ogata goes to SDF Naval Office.
11. (JP) Godzilla sinks the Bingo-Maru.
12. (JP) Journalists report sinking, military official talks with families.
13. (US) Steve leaves a message for his Editor at newspaper office.
14. (JP) Survivors of Bingo-Maru found by third ship.
15. (JP) Military reports that survivors were found.
16. (JP) Military learns that third ship was also sunk.
17. (JP) Newspapers report that shipping is shut down.
18. (JP) Survivor of third ship washes up on Odo Island.
19. (JP) Military officials and reporter Hagiwara land on Odo Island to interview locals.
20. (JP) Hagiwara watches islander ceremony and learns legend of Godzilla.
21. (JP) Godzilla attacks and destroys the village amidst a storm.
22. (JP) Odo Islanders testify before the Diet; Professor Yamane proposes a scientific expedition.
23. (US) Steve leaves press box, asks Yamane for permission to join expedition.
24. (JP) Expedition leaves for Odo Island.
25. Japanese cut of Emiko and Ogata's conversation, intercut with Steve silently watching nearby.
26. Japanese cut of the expedition surveying Odo Island, with a quick shot of Steve and Iwanaga in the crowd watching intercut.
27. Japanese cut of the panic as Godzilla attacks again, with US footage intercut (would've used US cut, but felt the Japanese cut's video quality was better).
28. Japanese cut of Prof. Yamane's report to the Diet, with a quick shot of Steve watching from the press box intercut.
29. (US) Steve has phone conversations with his Editor and Dr. Serizawa.
30. (JP) Commuters discuss Godzilla on the train.
31. (JP) Government announces military plans to kill Godzilla with depth charges.
32. (JP) Navy tries to kill Godzilla with depth charges.
33. (JP) Prof. Yamane, upset at reports that the Navy has killed Godzilla, sits alone in his office.
34. (JP) A party boat spots Godzilla in Tokyo Bay.
35. (JP) Military officials call Prof. Yamane to a meeting, but he has no idea how to kill Godzilla.
36. (JP) Hagiwara's editor sends him to interview Dr. Serizawa, Emiko Yamane's fiance.
37. (JP) Emiko and Ogata talk about breaking off her engagement with Serizawa.
38. (JP) Ogata drives Masaji to the Yamane house.
39. (JP) Hagiwara tries to interview Serizawa without success; Serizawa reveals his dark secret to Emiko.
40. (JP) Emiko returns home, Godzilla attacks.
41. (JP) International advisers brought in, plan to string up high-voltage cables along shore of Tokyo Bay announced.
42. (JP) Montage of military mobilization and residents being evacuated.
43. (JP) Ogata, intending to ask Prof. Yamane for permission to marry Emiko, gets himself thrown out of the house.
44. Japanese cut of Godzilla's second attack on Tokyo, intercut with Steve reporting into his tape recorder. (No narration)
45. (JP) Aftermath of Godzilla's attack.
46. (JP) Emiko tells Ogata about the Oxygen Destroyer.
47. (JP) Ogata and Emiko confront Serizawa.
48. Japanese cut of Serizawa and Ogata confront Godzilla in Tokyo Bay and the ending, only with a couple of quick shots showing that Steve is on the ship.
49. (US) Ending credits.
I should note, I made this in 2010 so before the 2012 Criterion release. I was using the older Classic Media DVD set at the time. I keep thinking about trying again, especially since in the eight years since I've figured out how to export with the subtitles burned in (the reason I abandoned the project initially was because I couldn't figure out how to add the subtitles back in).

Hm...
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

G&G-Fan
Monsterland Worker

Post by G&G-Fan »

Pkmatrix wrote:It's certainly do-able. I made a version a few years back (unfortunately lost now >_> ) and I was pretty happy with the result. :) I actually still have the cut list:
Spoiler:
1. (JP) Opening credits.
3. (US) Steve Martin narrates as he's brought to the emergency hospital and meets Emiko Yamane.
19. (JP) Military officials and reporter Hagiwara land on Odo Island to interview locals.
22. (JP) Odo Islanders testify before the Diet; Professor Yamane proposes a scientific expedition.
25. Japanese cut of Emiko and Ogata's conversation, intercut with Steve silently watching nearby.
26. Japanese cut of the expedition surveying Odo Island, with a quick shot of Steve and Iwanaga in the crowd watching intercut.
27. Japanese cut of the panic as Godzilla attacks again, with US footage intercut (would've used US cut, but felt the Japanese cut's video quality was better).
28. Japanese cut of Prof. Yamane's report to the Diet, with a quick shot of Steve watching from the press box intercut.
31. (JP) Government announces military plans to kill Godzilla with depth charges.
33. (JP) Prof. Yamane, upset at reports that the Navy has killed Godzilla, sits alone in his office.
35. (JP) Military officials call Prof. Yamane to a meeting, but he has no idea how to kill Godzilla.
36. (JP) Hagiwara's editor sends him to interview Dr. Serizawa, Emiko Yamane's fiance.
39. (JP) Hagiwara tries to interview Serizawa without success; Serizawa reveals his dark secret to Emiko.
41. (JP) International advisers brought in, plan to string up high-voltage cables along shore of Tokyo Bay announced.
43. (JP) Ogata, intending to ask Prof. Yamane for permission to marry Emiko, gets himself thrown out of the house.
44. Japanese cut of Godzilla's second attack on Tokyo, intercut with Steve reporting into his tape recorder. (No narration)
48. Japanese cut of Serizawa and Ogata confront Godzilla in Tokyo Bay and the ending, only with a couple of quick shots showing that Steve is on the ship.
49. (US) Ending credits.
I should note, I made this in 2010 so before the 2012 Criterion release. I was using the older Classic Media DVD set at the time. I keep thinking about trying again, especially since in the eight years since I've figured out how to export with the subtitles burned in (the reason I abandoned the project initially was because I couldn't figure out how to add the subtitles back in).

Hm...

Sorry, I had to.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

G&G-Fan wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:It's certainly do-able. I made a version a few years back (unfortunately lost now >_> ) and I was pretty happy with the result. :) I actually still have the cut list:
Spoiler:
1. (JP) Opening credits.
49. (US) Ending credits.

Hm...

Sorry, I had to.
Wow, what a coincidence. I was thinking about doing a fan-edit of combining Godzilla '54 and KOTM, except making a new opening credit sequence that's similar to the original Japanese credits.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

I hope everyone has been loving the edit!

I whipped up a little Xmas present for everyone: blu-ray cover art for disc-burners out there! (BTW, I encourage others to try their hand at it as well, I'd love to see what you come up with)

Full image: https://www.deviantart.com/temporalprod ... 1545715950

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

^as usual, awesome cover art!
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

G&G-Fan wrote:Image

Sorry, I had to.
Hm...maybe I should! :lol: Though I also should try to give another shot at my GFW fan edit to make it suitable for sharing. XD
GodzillaBurgh wrote:Wow, what a coincidence. I was thinking about doing a fan-edit of combining Godzilla '54 and KOTM, except making a new opening credit sequence that's similar to the original Japanese credits.
Great minds! ;)
anzilla wrote:I hope everyone has been loving the edit!

I whipped up a little Xmas present for everyone: blu-ray cover art for disc-burners out there! (BTW, I encourage others to try their hand at it as well, I'd love to see what you come up with)

AWESOME!!! :huge:

I made a Godzilla 1985 cover a while back using the 1985 poster as the basis...maybe that could be adapted for Godzilla: Resurrection? If I have time, I might try to take a crack at it. :)

Your version is FANTASTIC, I can't imagine it can be topped! :lol:
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

anzilla wrote:I hope everyone has been loving the edit!

Yet ANOTHER reason I wish I had a Blu-Ray burner :(
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

Maritonic wrote:Yet ANOTHER reason I wish I had a Blu-Ray burner :(
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OD39P6A/re ... jCbR7ZZWC7

It is a hundred dollars, but it's a good investment, especially if you're an editor like me. And its external, so you can use it with a laptop.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I just got done watching your edit.

Dude, this was seriously awesome. Not only is it the best version of the film I have seen thus far, but it is also one of the best fan edits I've ever seen. It combined the best elements of both versions and added a few personal touches that I never would have thought of but add an extra layer to the film.

Thanks a bunch for this! This was seriously great.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I just finished watching this- and it was absolutely fantastic! The grain was a bit distracting at times, and hopefully a future HD scan of 1985 will make it possible to combine these two films without it... but the restructuring more than made up for it, and the editing was seamless. Absolutely top-notch!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

Man, when I was watching this for the first time, I had a lot of gripes on the first hour of the movie, certain edits just rubbed me the wrong way, an example would be the removal of the Russians mentioning the "New American Attack Subs". I did like the removal of the product placement in the American scenes and most of the dumb humor by the young American officer. Also there is slightly more grain in the American scenes, more then I remember being in Kyodai Kino's (Red Menace) version of 1985. But after thinking it over... I believe that all of these issues are based on my own nostalgic feeling on growing up with both the Japanese original and Godzilla 1985 on VHS. I didn't see the International dub until the Kraken release. So what I'm really trying to say is that this is an excellent version of the film, I might even Burn it to a blu ray disc so I can have it sit with the rest of my collection, it fixes a lot of the problems with both versions and gives us a good story. My favorite edit is at 1:14:55 when the submarine music kicks in and Godzilla turns around and tries to attack our main leads, unlike how the original versions where he just turns around and roars at them while staying fixed in his spot. Completely surprised and succeeded my expectations. The atmosphere is completely changed just by changing the music and adding 2 seconds of additional footage, AMAZING! And after that the whole movie just gets better and better.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Now that the 1985 footage exists in high-def, is this attic going to get a follow-up? And will that potentially mean a step back on the grain overall, since it won't be necessary (hopefully) to cover the switch between materials any longer?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Zarm wrote:Now that the 1985 footage exists in high-def, is this attic going to get a follow-up? And will that potentially mean a step back on the grain overall, since it won't be necessary (hopefully) to cover the switch between materials any longer?
i keep seeing this new scan, where did this come from? who did it? cant seem to find any info, so its somewhere now in the interwebs?

edit: nvm, and holy hell thats amazing!!!

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Godzi ... d/id/61937
Last edited by airforce111 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Just watching this again right now- it truly is fantastic.

And still hoping for that second version, with hi-def 1985 and de-grained... because, man, that would be the absolute ultimate version of this film!

Maranatha!

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

any updates on this?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I don't think the 1985 HD version from Red Menace is complete yet, so I think the current version of Resurrection is the only version, for now- which is still fantastic!

Maranatha!

deadman31
Yojimbo

Post by deadman31 »

Im trying to compile a list of all the different versions, dubs, lengths etc. of the Return of Godzilla as it is my favorite movie. Does anyone have a link or help?

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

deadman31 wrote:Im trying to compile a list of all the different versions, dubs, lengths etc. of the Return of Godzilla as it is my favorite movie. Does anyone have a link or help?
This should hopefully have the information on the dubs, runtimes, and edits that you're looking for: Toku Cinema - Return of Godzilla