Godzilla vs. the Thing - Red Menace HD Reconstruction AVAILABLE NOW

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla vs. the Thing - Red Menace HD Reconstruction AVAILABLE NOW

Post by G-MAN »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:Watched it, loved it! Strange it's in 360p rather than usual 1080, but hey, I'll let it slide!

Added in 5 hours 29 minutes 38 seconds:
Google Drive link has the movie in 360p, rather than 1080HD. Watched it on the Internet Archive link, and my God, you did justice to my favorite Showa Godzilla movie. THANK YOU. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your dedication and love for these reconstructions!!
:applause: :g64: :-D
That's just the preview; you should be able to adjust the quality the same way you would an YouTube video. Failing that, though, downloading the file itself will give you the original 1080p video.

Glad you enjoyed it!
G-MAN wrote:I'm curious to know if you upscaled the simitar frontier missile scene while also cropping it and giving it the final bitrate? As I noticed really bad pixelation in shots. And referenced a much older attempt of my own and while suffers different issues as it was a test the blocking isn't as apparent as in the mkv version.
By "upscaling," I assume you're referring to the kind of enhancements Blu-ray players tend to apply to DVDs to make them look better on HD displays; I'm not really sure if Vegas has a plugin or effect for that, but that would definitely be useful. (I'm assuming what you mean by blocking is the pixelation resulting from blowing up a non-anamorphic SD source to HD. If you mean the compression artifacts, they're probably more noticeable because I boosted the hell out of the contrast and saturation in order to make the color palette a little less dead, making some of the source's inherent issues more obvious.)

No by upscaling I mean instead of leaving the simitar footage in 720 x 480 and actually upscaling the video file itself to 1920×1080 while at the same time cropping the video and giving it an extremely high bitrate. Like for instance the same bitrate you would be giving the final mkv render. And yes boosting the contrast would shoe some flaws but the pixelation is really bad in some shots during the frontier missile sequence. And we'll the pixelation isn't just. Because the non anamorphic video source it's that plus the fact that even though it's a double sided disc simitar also compressed the hell out of the disc. And as I stated before it is by no means the best source if done properly like I stated by using a program that allows you to do all three at once or at the very least allows you to give it a really high bitrate while you crop it would even be useful. I ask cuz like some shots in the monster zero reconstruction it looks pretty dicey at times. And I don't mean to judge you're work I'm honestly trying to help you as like I said I've messed with the simitar discs before and I've gotten decent images from them you just have to try and do as many of those steps with the original disc file. And I'm curious why you didn't overlay the classic media footage of that scene over the simitar footage for most of it as that would have alleviated much of the pixelation as most of it is apparent when the dirt is kicked up from explosions which as you know there are many. As well as when Godzilla is tumbling due to how fast he is rolling in the image.

Now for future restoration possibilities I'm curious if you will ever attempt war of the gargantuas, or Godzilla raids again as the cm disc is still really good for the American cut especially if upscaled properly for the exclusive scenes. And I can help you out with that one as I own the official toho bluray of that. And with Godzilla raids again while not in the best shape same with gargantuas it could defi Italy be used for American scenes. Though the main issue with doing that one of course would be editing it all

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Looks amazing! Great job as always!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Are you talking about encoding the initial DVD rip at 1080p? Because I don’t really see what that would accomplish that rendering the finished project at 1080p doesn’t; the DVD rip I used was encoded at the original resolution, just IVTC’d and encoded at 23.976p.

As for overlaying the Classic Media footage, I considered that approach, but considering how much I had to wrestle with the Siren disc to even vaguely match the colors of the Toho transfer, as well as with the Simitar disc to get even somewhat decent colors out of it, and the enormous difference in the color palette between the two transfers, I strongly doubt whether I could have matched them well enough to integrate them into the same image. (With that said, I might actually attempt this at some point, but for the time being Evangelion 0.2 and Son of Godzilla are my highest priority.)
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

No I'm saying the file of the strip when you started messing with it and cropping it did you crop the video to it's correct aspect ratio, while also giving the cropped video a really high bitrate, and upscale the video footage. As like I said with your monster zero footage it would surprise you how much the pixelation would be decreased as opposed to just leaving it untouched bitrate wise as with your the monster zero reconstruction it seems like the video file used for those moments was just cropped and then upscaled with the rest of the footage. As that would make sense if so as the simitar footage always sticks out due to the proper steps not being taken with the footage to make sure it blends better and isn't so pixelated.

Kore321
Yojimbo

Post by Kore321 »

Beautiful work as always! Enjoying these reconstructions.

Gojira69
Yojimbo

Post by Gojira69 »

Where can I go to see ALL the "Red Menace" reconstructions? Are there any other sources for reconstructions?