Ideas, Advice and Suggestions Thread

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

Genjira Overwatch
Samurai

Re: Ideas, Advice and Suggestions Thread

Post by Genjira Overwatch »

People, I need advice for a character arc I'm trying to write for a comic that may or may not be published.
Here's the facts.

Gabriel Ironwood
Parents: Unknown, but Kaiju Safeguard and Research Institute (KSRI) officer David Reynolds is his adoptive father.
Profession: Pilot for KSRI unit MFS-3 Kiryu
Relationship status: dating
S/O: Erin Moone, KSRI Biology dept. agent

I DON'T want him to be a one dimesnional character, and I need him to have some sort of personal struggle that makes him favorable to the reader. I thought about making it about his missing parents, but it seemed too much like Akane Yashiro's character arc in GXMG. I also thought about a more close relationsip with Kiryu as a sentient being, maybe the killing of kaiju that used to be Kiryu's allies leaves a divide between pilot and machine, but I don't know if that's exactly a good idea.
I need help :freak:
Am I still on? Er, well, we now return you to... Whatever it was you were doing....
Idiots.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Genjira Overwatch wrote:People, I need advice for a character arc I'm trying to write for a comic that may or may not be published.
Here's the facts.

Gabriel Ironwood
Parents: Unknown, but Kaiju Safeguard and Research Institute (KSRI) officer David Reynolds is his adoptive father.
Profession: Pilot for KSRI unit MFS-3 Kiryu
Relationship status: dating
S/O: Erin Moone, KSRI Biology dept. agent

I DON'T want him to be a one dimesnional character, and I need him to have some sort of personal struggle that makes him favorable to the reader. I thought about making it about his missing parents, but it seemed too much like Akane Yashiro's character arc in GXMG. I also thought about a more close relationsip with Kiryu as a sentient being, maybe the killing of kaiju that used to be Kiryu's allies leaves a divide between pilot and machine, but I don't know if that's exactly a good idea.
I need help :freak:
Depends on what kind of story you want to tell, and the length. I'd skip anything too complicated or reliant on a personal back story. Make his motive something seen in the story. Have him crippled in a fight and make him want vengeance. If he's dating, have his girlfriend have a major role in his life, maybe she's his superior officer or boss or whatever. What's his relationship with his adoptive father like? Dig in, expand, get in his head and his world and then the story ideas should come easier.

Anyways, onto my own questions - would this section be the right place to put my thoughts on a Godzilla cartoon I would love to see and typed a bunch of ideas about?
Last edited by Vakanai on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Vakanai wrote:Anyways, onto my own questions - would this section be the right place to put my thoughts on a Godzilla cartoon I would love to see and typed a bunch of ideas about?
If you'd like, but I'm half-certain this section is mostly dead
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

G2000 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Anyways, onto my own questions - would this section be the right place to put my thoughts on a Godzilla cartoon I would love to see and typed a bunch of ideas about?
If you'd like, but I'm half-certain this section is mostly dead
Is there a better section then?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Vakanai wrote: Is there a better section then?
Not really, but the Post and Pitch Wishlist Godzilla Film Titles and Concepts thread in the General Toho Films section might be slightly more high-visibility
Last edited by G2000 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

A crazy thought I had with my Extremeverse.

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

So lately I've been exploring a radical shift in my Extremeverse, mainly...an in universe reason why a most buildings are smaller than most kaiju. It would be an alternate world much like Ace Combat's strangereal. Another element I would be adding is kaiju and humanity having ancient history, like KOTM.

The idea is that millions of years ago a cosmic radiation burst hit the Earth and mutated life, thus creating kaiju all over. Across the years humanity rose and built their cities with knowledge of them, and making smaller buildings. This would eventually pass on into the modern era with buildings sitting at 50 100 meters (though kaiju are just legends at this point). I just wanted to create a world where Godzilla stands taller than any of man's structures.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I just finished my GvABV series and I'm wondering where to go next. To catch you up, Anguirus, Baragon, and Varan fought Godzilla, Varan is fatally wounded and dies later, while Godzilla faints onto the beach. Anguirus and Baragon leave the island and a few days later Godzilla follows suit.

If ya'll have any ideas of where to take the series next I'd be glad to know.
For Emperor and Empire!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

VoyagerGoji wrote:I just finished my GvABV series and I'm wondering where to go next. To catch you up, Anguirus, Baragon, and Varan fought Godzilla, Varan is fatally wounded and dies later, while Godzilla faints onto the beach. Anguirus and Baragon leave the island and a few days later Godzilla follows suit.

If ya'll have any ideas of where to take the series next I'd be glad to know.

Give some further reasons as to why the events happened the way they did and make sure you got a plan in mind as to what to do with Varan being dead, how does this affect future conflicts?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

A bit late but thanks. I decided to tie this fan fic in with my RPG, Godzilla vs The World of Monsters.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would love to see a sub-forum that allows authors to discuss their own original works of fiction. I am trying to work on an episodic story myself, and would love to share ideas and ask advice of others doing the same. Thanks!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Idk if this is allowed or not, but I'm looking for writers to make a fan-fic for my Kaijuverse as part of the big sendoff I have planned for the first act. I intend to pay the potential writer for his or her efforts as well.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Breakdown wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:07 pm Idk if this is allowed or not, but I'm looking for writers to make a fan-fic for my Kaijuverse as part of the big sendoff I have planned for the first act. I intend to pay the potential writer for his or her efforts as well.
I'd love to volunteer.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:36 pm
Breakdown wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:07 pm Idk if this is allowed or not, but I'm looking for writers to make a fan-fic for my Kaijuverse as part of the big sendoff I have planned for the first act. I intend to pay the potential writer for his or her efforts as well.
I'd love to volunteer.
Shoot me a PM and I'll give you details.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Breakdown wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:22 pm
SonOfGorgo wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:36 pm
I'd love to volunteer.
Shoot me a PM and I'll give you details.
Sure thing
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Been considering a few alternate takes on Godzilla.

Mainly a real monster apocalypse, taking cues from the Showa and Millennial eras. Not sure how to alter Godzilla, but I’ve been considering having him being unique in some way. Maybe he’s a biological war machine like Gamera, but for far darker purposes. Perhaps he’s an eldritch abomination of sorts.

I also like the idea of him being hollowed-out and filled with burning blue energy, sorta like the MV Rodan.

Planning on making the monster origins different to play on their stories in unique ways. Maybe Ghidorah’s a fallen guardian monster. Maybe Megalon’s a benign god a’la King Kong. Perhaps Battra is Godzilla’s ancient ally.

The aliens won’t be interested in outright colonization, but in testing their Kaiju bio weapons and sampling Earth Kaiju as potential weapons.

fanofeverything25
Young Farmer

Post by fanofeverything25 »

how about a genderswap high school au with the kaiju as humans ie male mothra fem zilla

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think there should be a thread dedicated to those of us who want to discuss our own original works of fiction?

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

Not sure if this thread is only for godzilla fanfic but here are things I want to improve on on my stories.
1. How to structure the story so it sounds more professional instead of winging it
2. How to do action scenes like fighting, or how to write dialog.
3. Keep the story concent from beginning to end.
4. How to do Character development
5. (Not sure if this allow to ask but) how to write a yuri fanfic.

If anyone curious my fanfiction account is
ninetails zilla loud if anyone wnat read my stories and give feedback

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

Godzillaninja2019 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:46 am Not sure if this thread is only for godzilla fanfic but here are things I want to improve on on my stories.
1. How to structure the story so it sounds more professional instead of winging it

So I am not an expert writer by any means so take my advice with a grain of salt.

1. Think about where you want the story to go from beginning to end. Sometimes the beginning/ending can be the most difficult parts to come up with, but assuming you have everything planned out, you can set up a chapter system. Basically lay out your story and think about what scenes go where. If that makes sense. Of course, a story should evolve naturally so be sure to leave room for any changes you may want to make.

2a. It depends on your style with fighting scenes, I'm assuming this is a kaiju story. Personally, I don't like to do too many cutaways. Of course, that's not to say only stick to the fight. Some cutaways are necessary. I can't tell you how to write a fight scene, of course, it depends on your style. You can always refer to the Kaiju War Chronicles.

2b. Dialogue shouldn't feel like a script, it should feel like a legitimate conversation between your characters. Find your character's 'voice'. Not everyone needs to talk the same, if that makes sense.

3. I'm assuming you mean consistent here. The chapter system can help with this. Plan the story out and make sure you're not making any contradictions. Don't want to have any plot holes or anything.

4. Personally, if it's a series, I wouldn't worry about developing your character in a single story. Think of a television show, the characters aren't fleshed out in one episode. They have a whole season to be developed. They should have an arc. Don't have the story end and the character stay the same as they were in the beginning. We should see them grow.
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

EarthbaragonOG
Samurai

Post by EarthbaragonOG »

godzillafan1954 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:52 pm
Godzillaninja2019 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:46 am Not sure if this thread is only for godzilla fanfic but here are things I want to improve on on my stories.

So I am not an expert writer by any means so take my advice with a grain of salt.

1. Think about where you want the story to go from beginning to end. Sometimes the beginning/ending can be the most difficult parts to come up with, but assuming you have everything planned out, you can set up a chapter system. Basically lay out your story and think about what scenes go where. If that makes sense. Of course, a story should evolve naturally so be sure to leave room for any changes you may want to make.

2a. It depends on your style with fighting scenes, I'm assuming this is a kaiju story. Personally, I don't like to do too many cutaways. Of course, that's not to say only stick to the fight. Some cutaways are necessary. I can't tell you how to write a fight scene, of course, it depends on your style. You can always refer to the Kaiju War Chronicles.

2b. Dialogue shouldn't feel like a script, it should feel like a legitimate conversation between your characters. Find your character's 'voice'. Not everyone needs to talk the same, if that makes sense.

3. I'm assuming you mean consistent here. The chapter system can help with this. Plan the story out and make sure you're not making any contradictions. Don't want to have any plot holes or anything.

4. Personally, if it's a series, I wouldn't worry about developing your character in a single story. Think of a television show, the characters aren't fleshed out in one episode. They have a whole season to be developed. They should have an arc. Don't have the story end and the character stay the same as they were in the beginning. We should see them grow.
That is some really darn good advice on writing honestly. If I may piggyback on some of these points....
I always found a notebook and or sheet of paper and pencil works wonders when trying to plan things outs. (Dry erase board works the best too and is my fav IMO). But you can write down plot points and or things that you want to accomplish in your story. Physically seeing it on paper sort of gives your mind something to focus on. Then you can start brainstorming other things like characters, actions, themes and branch them off the main points you want to do. (Thinking maps you did in high-school, like bubble maps, tree maps, flow maps....it's whatever works best for you).

Once you can physically see the connections with the characters and the events, it makes it that much more easier to visualize in your head. This will help with developing your characters and help to even plan out chapters if you wish. The more preemptive planning you do, the easier the project will be.