The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Jaina solo was getting a trilogy and Luke, Han and Leia were all getting new books at the time Disney stopped legends.
Okay, yes, books that hadn't been written or published yet were cancelled, that is true. So EU fans only have, what, 11,000 books to revisit?
And from their point of view they are in a worse position now then what they war from 2005 after Rots to when Disney took over.

They went from a steady influx of what they felt was a good continuing Star Wars storyline to now nothing. I don't see how we should look at what Lucas did to the theatrical cuts of the OT and what Disney did.to Legends.
Because Disney is not hiding away material that had already been released to the public.

And let's be clear, I'm not saying it's good that the line was cancelled. All I'm saying... Wait, I have literally no idea what this conversation is about anymore, because it's become such a muddled, tangential mess.

It is good that there is currently a version of Star Wars that is accessible to the general audience, since that's the category that the majority of Star Wars fans fall into? There. I think that's my point. I don't think the desire of EU fans to feel like there's in the one true Star Wars continuity should overwrite the interest of a much larger population in continuing to enjoy new Star Wars materials.

And I just don't see how, with that much material available to them, they're in a remotely bad situation. They could spend years re-reading all that stuff! Meanwhile, some of us are getting the first new Star Wars content that's felt genuinely targeted at us since Ewoks Battle for Endor in 1985!
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I liked episode 4 of The Mandalorian, they delved deeper into Mando himself and how, like Western Cowboys, he can never really settle down and have peace. However they made the dudes look like bozo's, and I have no clue how out of that whole tribe there was a total of 4 men but whateves. In addition, how was everyone getting licks in on Mando's helmet? I thought it was made out of some impenetrable steel? From Cara Dune to the Klatooinians (or whatever they were called).

Plus, why was that AT-ST borderline sentient?

Overall, Mando and Baby Yoda are still carrying the series (which I expect no less).

Added in 2 minutes 52 seconds:
This episodes been done multiple times before, even within the same franchise, but what saves it is Mando n good'ol Yotes.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

_JNavs_ wrote: Plus, why was that AT-ST borderline sentient?
It wasn't, it was just a stylistic choice. Gives more credence to the Empire's machinery. Probably the best part of the episode to be honest. I loved seeing those piercing red "eyes" through the treeline. Very monster-like.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

UltramanGoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Plus, why was that AT-ST borderline sentient?
It wasn't, it was just a stylistic choice. Gives more credence to the Empire's machinery. Probably the best part of the episode to be honest. I loved seeing those piercing red "eyes" through the treeline. Very monster-like.
Oh I agree as far as it's imposing nature, plus it was great CG.

I just questioned that initial step he did at the waterline, knowing it was a trap. I feel like somebody in the cockpit wouldn't give a double-take on that.

Added in 1 day 19 hours 46 minutes 4 seconds:
Forces of Destiny should not be canon.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Forces of Destiny should not be canon.
I haven't seen much of it, but what I've seen of it (aside from grown men getting angry about it, which is hilarious), it just looks like a harmless Star Wars cartoon for little girls. What makes it so bad that it should be deemed as "non-canon"?
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillavsZilla wrote:What makes it so bad that it should be deemed as "non-canon"?
womun bad

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillavsZilla wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Forces of Destiny should not be canon.
I haven't seen much of it, but what I've seen of it (aside from grown men getting angry about it, which is hilarious), it just looks like a harmless Star Wars cartoon for little girls. What makes it so bad that it should be deemed as "non-canon"?
It's just out of character for not only the world it's based in, but the characters themselves.

It's harmless, and for little girls, I get that.

But imo it shouldn't have the canon label attached to it. "Canon" for me at least, should be taken seriously and in stride, especially for a franchise like this. Yet little things like having Chewbacca hiding and shaking in his boots behind Leia on Hoth and the entire Jyn Erso episode making no sense in context. Like I said little things, and I almost don't even want to touch on the topic since I know it'll immediately go to the "he thinks Wumin bad" whining.

Plus the episodes are like 3 minutes, and it pains me that Tardakovsky's CW series was also 3 min in length yet really hit those artistic notes.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Only little girls are going to be watching it, I don't think there's any harm in a cute cartoon that's 'canon' when the majority of the fanbase isn't even going to know about it.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

2004Zilla wrote:Only little girls are going to be watching it, I don't think there's any harm in a cute cartoon that's 'canon' when the majority of the fanbase isn't even going to know about it.
Yeah I don't mind its existence. Just dislike the idea of it being canon.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: But imo it shouldn't have the canon label attached to it. "Canon" for me at least, should be taken seriously and in stride, especially for a franchise like this.
Ehh, The Phantom Menace is canon and it has moments and jokes that I'd say really do not fit the rest of the franchise like Jar Jar stepping in shit and saying "I step in da poopy" and ten year old Anakin saying "Now this is podracing" after (possibly unintentionally) murdering some Trade Federation guys when he blew up their ship.
Plus the episodes are like 3 minutes, and it pains me that Tardakovsky's CW series was also 3 min in length yet really hit those artistic notes.
They both aim for different demographics though. Star Wars Clone Wars reaching for a broader audience as a way to connect AOTC and ROTS, it takes itself seriously (but not 100%, there's still humor in it, but unlike TPM, it's not entirely childish, baby humor) and feels like it can be for everybody.
Forces of Destiny is just a show for little girls, it looks like one of those short Golden Books, which don't really aim for anything artistically except for giving for kid something to do for a bit, which I think is probably the goal of the show.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I made a Star Wars meme because the mood struck me. Hope it gets a chuckle from ya'll.

"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:But imo it shouldn't have the canon label attached to it. "Canon" for me at least, should be taken seriously and in stride, especially for a franchise like this.
:lol:

Actually, I found the less I started caring about cannon in Star Wars the more I enjoyed some of it. Not going to say the prequels are good films, but I found them waaaay more enjoyable when I viewed them as their own story, and not something closely connected to the original trilogy. Nitpicky bullshit fanboy opinions of mine, like "Eugggh Anakin isn't as cool as Darth Vader was" were cast to the side. Prequel Trilogy works better like that if you view it as your own thing.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:But imo it shouldn't have the canon label attached to it. "Canon" for me at least, should be taken seriously and in stride, especially for a franchise like this.

Actually, I found the less I started caring about cannon in Star Wars the more I enjoyed some of it. Not going to say the prequels are good films, but I found them waaaay more enjoyable when I viewed them as their own story, and not something closely connected to the original trilogy. Nitpicky bullshit fanboy opinions of mine, like "Eugggh Anakin isn't as cool as Darth Vader was" were cast to the side. Prequel Trilogy works better like that if you view it as your own thing.
I still feel like the original 6 films fit well together lol, with Episode 3 being the connective glue that seals the jump from lighthearted campiness to complete darkness that we jump to in the OT.

Added in 2 minutes 57 seconds:
Here's a hot take, I prefer Episode III over ROTJ. Personal preference obviously, and the final victory scene is iconic of course, but overall I just find ROTS to be the better, more engaging film.

(The script is a whole other argument)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

I still feel like the original 6 films fit well together lol, with Episode 3 being the connective glue that seals the jump from lighthearted campiness to complete darkness that we jump to in the OT.

Here's a hot take, I prefer Episode III over ROTJ. Personal preference obviously, and the final victory scene is iconic of course, but overall I just find ROTS to be the better, more engaging film.
Why the original 6 and not 8/9 films in total?

I have not seen ROTJ in a long time, but I might agree with you individual parts of ROTS are better than ROTJ.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

I don't perceive the OT as anywhere near completely dark, and certainly not as dark as RotS. The original film in particular is usually regarded as a pretty light-hearted adventure story.

While I would place RotJ about RotS personally, I don't find that opinion that surprising (I know at least one person - my age, so not somebody who grew up with the prequels - who even ranks RotS above the original). I think a case could be made that RotS is actually the better structured story than RotJ.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Why the original 6 and not 8/9 films in total?

I have not seen ROTJ in a long time, but I might agree with you individual parts of ROTS are better than ROTJ.
Ehh, I just feel like 7 and 8 are such a massive leap from where we ended off on originally, and imo it was to no benefit to the story, since we jumped past all the interesting bits in those 30+ years, just to end up retreading what we've already come across before.

It's such a vast galaxy, with such an engaging amount of stories to tell, yet these new films don't double down on that, nor do they really continue the Skywalker legacy to its full potential (at least to me).

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:

Ehh, I just feel like 7 and 8 are such a massive leap from where we ended off on originally, and imo it was to no benefit to the story, since we jumped past all the interesting bits in those 30+ years, just to end up retreading what we've already come across before.

It's such a vast galaxy, with such an engaging amount of stories to tell, yet these new films don't double down on that, nor do they really continue the Skywalker legacy to its full potential (at least to me).
Except when they want to do that and go somewhere new with the story (killing Snoke, establishing that Rey was no one special etc...) people complain.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote: I don't perceive the OT as anywhere near completely dark, and certainly not as dark as RotS. The original film in particular is usually regarded as a pretty light-hearted adventure story.

While I would place RotJ about RotS personally, I don't find that opinion that surprising (I know at least one person - my age, so not somebody who grew up with the prequels - who even ranks RotS above the original). I think a case could be made that RotS is actually the better structured story than RotJ.
Yeah ANH is definitely a lighter story, likely since its main focus is on the heroes. I meant more along the lines of an Empire owned-Galaxy, which would be under a much stricter authoritarian government than I'd perceive the PT's trilogy to be (That could just be the perspective we're shown, since in the animated show, not every world is happy with the Republic). But yeah the OT isn't dark so much as just a "dark-side owned" galaxy (idk if that makes sense lol).

I recently rewatched ROTJ and its pacing, along with its third act, definitely fell apart quite a bit. Plus George really does waste some of his storylines from ESB, (specifically Boba, the Empire "striking back" yet doesn't continue their strike in ROTJ, and frozen Han).

Added in 6 minutes 17 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

Except when they want to do that and go somewhere new with the story (killing Snoke, establishing that Rey was no one special etc...) people complain.
If they were to take the story where it's never gone before, I think the audience would have warmed up to some of these ideas much better. Like killing Snoke would've been better if it were in a completely different setting rather than just a flipped ROTJ set piece, Kylo killing Snoke on the battlefield out of rage for not treating him with the respect he deserves or something (may sound corny but it's just a random idea that would've been "different" without feeling "the same"), it could've even been on a returning planet like Kashyyyk or Felucia, just to worldbuild a bit.

Rey being no one would've been more appreciated imo if we got to see her backstory in the first few minutes of TFA rather than blatantly told to us mid TLJ, with no rewarding outcome for the audience.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote:Rey being no one would've been more appreciated imo if we got to see her backstory in the first few minutes of TFA rather than blatantly told to us mid TLJ, with no rewarding outcome for the audience.
I disagree completely here. Rey in TFA is very much set up as someone trapped by the impulse to define herself by her parents, to the point that she lets that fixation hold her back from pursuing her own life, and the revelation that she has not inherited an identity or a destiny from them comes at a key point in her development. It is exactly the outcome I think best serves the character and the audience.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Rey being no one would've been more appreciated imo if we got to see her backstory in the first few minutes of TFA rather than blatantly told to us mid TLJ, with no rewarding outcome for the audience.
I disagree completely here. Rey in TFA is very much set up as someone trapped by the impulse to define herself by her parents, to the point that she lets that fixation hold her back from pursuing her own life, and the revelation that she has not inherited an identity or a destiny from them comes at a key point in her development. It is exactly the outcome I think best serves the character and the audience.
For me, I felt she found her place when she discovered the Resistance (and to an extent Leia) and realized there was some good left in the galaxy. I assumed she figured her parents were never coming back so she had to fill that void with something (at least until TLJ came around). In TLJ she suddenly seemed much more focused on her parents and as you said, her identity and her destiny, which I figured we already covered in TFA.

I was hoping by TLJ she'd be a much more confident individual, knowing that she had a misfit "family" by her side, and would be ready to take the war to the First Order remnants by the third act. (This was before seeing any trailers, so I assumed the FO was just about done for, since their weaponized planet/base blew up, setting up the new threat for the third film)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.