The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

Cookson
Futurian

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by Cookson »

There’s a ton of rumors of Disney and Lucasfilm “fixing” Star Wars. This sequel trilogy has just jacked up everything. Maybe they just need to declare the ST as a possible “dark future” or something and decanon it. Too much damage done... and I think both sides you liked it or not can agree here. It’s so unbelievably annoying how messed up this trilogy has become.

The moment they knew Palpatine was coming back, Anakin needed to be in it as well... and more than a voice.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Re-watched Solo last night. I'd previously said that it wasn't the worst Star Wars movie, but that it was my least favorite. I'm taking that back now.

It is the worst Star Wars movie.

Frankly, the full title of the movie is inaccurate. It's called Solo: A Star Wars Story, but... what story? You could accurately call it, "Solo: A Star Wars Plot" or, "Solo: A Star Wars Sequence of Events" and deliver what you were promising, but "Story" is a really unearned.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cookson wrote:There’s a ton of rumors of Disney and Lucasfilm “fixing” Star Wars. This sequel trilogy has just jacked up everything. Maybe they just need to declare the ST as a possible “dark future” or something and decanon it. Too much damage done... and I think both sides you liked it or not can agree here. It’s so unbelievably annoying how messed up this trilogy has become.

The moment they knew Palpatine was coming back, Anakin needed to be in it as well... and more than a voice.
They need to just go into this High Republic era and call it a day. Once we get. We charcters not connected to others things can move ahead for the better.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Just something I've been musing about lately, with all the talk about moving into other eras, exploring things further and further from Luke Skywalker, The Rebellion and The Empire.

At a certain point, the subject moves so far from the original story of Star Wars that I don't see how it qualifies as purely Star Wars anymore.

Things can be set in the same diegetic reality as Star Wars, things can be "A Star Wars Story" or whatever other label they may apply in the future; but, to me, if it's not meaningfully connected to the narrative of the original Star Wars (1977), then that kind of qualifier is absolutely essential - it's absence would be a kind of dishonesty.

I don't think the words Star Wars alone should be used as an umbrella for all things in that "universe." I find it misleading, as those words were the title for a very specific story.

I guess, for me, with Episode IX done, nothing else should ever simply be called unqualified Star Wars again.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

It's funny to me that people are now talking about ideas I've had for Star Wars since TFA came out.

Straight up set it 300 years in the future, then you can make your own new cast of characters not be overshadowed by old ones, while not tarnishing the legacy of the old ones either.

Finn was the best character of the new trilogy and they wasted him so badly
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

eabaker wrote:Just something I've been musing about lately, with all the talk about moving into other eras, exploring things further and further from Luke Skywalker, The Rebellion and The Empire.

At a certain point, the subject moves so far from the original story of Star Wars that I don't see how it qualifies as purely Star Wars anymore.

Things can be set in the same diegetic reality as Star Wars, things can be "A Star Wars Story" or whatever other label they may apply in the future; but, to me, if it's not meaningfully connected to the narrative of the original Star Wars (1977), then that kind of qualifier is absolutely essential - it's absence would be a kind of dishonesty.

I don't think the words Star Wars alone should be used as an umbrella for all things in that "universe." I find it misleading, as those words were the title for a very specific story.

I guess, for me, with Episode IX done, nothing else should ever simply be called unqualified Star Wars again.
That is an interesting sentiment. How did you feel about the old expanded universe, in situations like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic? Totally unrelated to the original story.

Also, this may help your optimism, but given that The Mandalorian isn't The Mandalorian: A Star Wars Story, they may not use it directly in the titles.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Shoopwoop17 wrote:
eabaker wrote:Just something I've been musing about lately, with all the talk about moving into other eras, exploring things further and further from Luke Skywalker, The Rebellion and The Empire.

That is an interesting sentiment. How did you feel about the old expanded universe, in situations like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic? Totally unrelated to the original story.

Also, this may help your optimism, but given that The Mandalorian isn't The Mandalorian: A Star Wars Story, they may not use it directly in the titles.
I never explored the EU that much. I pretty much limited myself to the Thrawn Trilogy and Shadows of the Empire, which were very directly tied to the core story. Wasn't KotOR a video game? Those don't really matter to me either way; they're accessible to such a small portion of the audience that I don't think it's really fair to grant them canonical status.

And, yeah, I like how The Mandalorian has been labeled as basically it's own thing.

But just to be clear, I'm fine with the "A Star Wars Story" title on pretty much anything in the SW universe. It's just the words "Star Wars" in isolation that I think should always be kept closely tied to the original core characters and conflicts.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote:Wasn't KotOR a video game?
Yep. Don't let that dissuade you, though, it's one of the best EU stories out there. Better than most of the movies too.
Last edited by Spuro on Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Yep. Don't let that dissuade you, though, it's one of the best EU stories out there. Better than most of the movies too.
But I'm literally incapable of experiencing it, so it's kinda useless to me.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Watch it on youtube or read the plot synopsis. Kotor is hands down top 5 star wars stories.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Watch it on youtube or read the plot synopsis. Kotor is hands down top 5 star wars stories.
Or if you have Windows you could easily get it on Steam. These days the game doesn't take a lot of power to run.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Or if you have Windows you could easily get it on Steam. These days the game doesn't take a lot of power to run.
But playing the game still requires having an aptitude for playing video games. Experiencing that part of the story as it was meant to be experienced (which does not include watching it on Youtube or reading a plot synopsis) requires a skillset that not all audiences possess.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
But playing the game still requires having an aptitude for playing video games. Experiencing that part of the story as it was meant to be experienced (which does not include watching it on Youtube or reading a plot synopsis) requires a skillset that not all audiences possess.
No one here is also going to mention that KOTR is a huge undertaking of many hours if you are actually going to play the damn thing.
Some people around here simply don't have the time or current resources. I may eventually get around to it but currently I'm in the same boat as Eabaker.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
You could play on easy mode. Kotor was the very first game of its genre (RPG) that I ever played as a kid, and even though the controls took a little getting used to I didn't really struggle to the point of being unable to complete the game.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
You could play on easy mode. Kotor was the very first game of its genre (RPG) that I ever played as a kid, and even though the controls took a little getting used to I didn't really struggle to the point of being unable to complete the game.
There's also the "don't enjoy playing video games" factor to contend with, though.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: There's also the "don't enjoy playing video games" factor to contend with, though.
Why didn't you say that earlier? This would have been so much simpler than, "I'm literally incapable of experiencing it." :lol:

Alright, alright, I won't try to persuade ya' any longer.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
eabaker wrote: There's also the "don't enjoy playing video games" factor to contend with, though.
Why didn't you say that earlier? This would have been so much simpler than, "I'm literally incapable of experiencing it." :lol:

Alright, alright, I won't try to persuade ya' any longer.
Because it wasn't just about me. A lot of people are incapable of experiencing it; a lot of people aren't interested in the medium; and a lot of people fall into both camps. The issue is the inaccessibility of the material to a large portion of the Star Wars audience for assorted reasons.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Colin Trevorrow's episode ix script leaked today. Sounds much better than Rise of Skywalker.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The script itself didn't leak, at least from what I've found. Just a summary from someone who has the script.

But yes, it does sound a lot better and way more natural of a progression from TLJ.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

I like how Palpatine's message the opening crawl talks about has only ever appeared in Fortnite of all things

Holy crap was this film mishandled by the execs

Oh, and according to this they actually had scenes that explained how Palpatine survived but cut them
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... ccounter=1
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D