The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorite installments in the Star Wars Saga?

Star Wars (1977, dir. George Lucas)
22%
The Empire Strikes Back (1980, dir. Irvin Kershner)
24%
Return of the Jedi (1983, dir. Richard Marquand)
20%
The Phantom Menace (1999, dir. Lucas)
2%
Attack of the Clones (2002, dir. Lucas)
2%
Revenge of the Sith (2005, dir. Lucas)
14%
The Force Awakens (2015, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%
Rogue One (2016, dir. Gareth Edwards)
7%
The Last Jedi (2017, dir. Rian Johnson)
3%
Solo (2018, dir. Ron Howard)
1%
The Rise of Skywalker (2019, dir. J.J. Abrams)
2%

Total votes: 244

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Official Star Wars Saga Thread

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I just finished the second season of Rebels and I'm liking it a lot so far. Maybe better than the Clone Wars, honestly. I like that this show feels more focused. It tells a consistent, overarching story while still devoting episodes to individual characters and sub-plots. Clone Wars kind of jumped all over the place and it could be discombobulating. I've seen a lot of people complain that the show is more "juvenile" than the Clone Wars but I don't really see it. I guess it's a little bit less violent but it's not like Clone Wars didn't have its cheesiness. I think the characters are overall better developed and more enjoyable. I can say definitely that I like the first two seasons of Rebels better than the first two seasons of the Clone Wars. Hopefully the next two seasons will be even better.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I can say definitely that I like the first two seasons of Rebels better than the first two seasons of the Clone Wars.
The first two seasons of Clone Wars weren't that great, but the other 5 seasons are much better. As for Rebels I got to season three and then I stopped. I felt like there was a bit of a decline.

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:
You guys want to know how Threepio got his red arm?
For Emperor and Empire!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I just finished the second season of Rebels and I'm liking it a lot so far. Maybe better than the Clone Wars, honestly. I like that this show feels more focused. It tells a consistent, overarching story while still devoting episodes to individual characters and sub-plots. Clone Wars kind of jumped all over the place and it could be discombobulating. I've seen a lot of people complain that the show is more "juvenile" than the Clone Wars but I don't really see it. I guess it's a little bit less violent but it's not like Clone Wars didn't have its cheesiness. I think the characters are overall better developed and more enjoyable. I can say definitely that I like the first two seasons of Rebels better than the first two seasons of the Clone Wars. Hopefully the next two seasons will be even better.
Yay, someone of like mind!

Seasons 3 and 4 are where shit really gets good for Rebels and where it (IMO) begins to equal or even surpass TCW.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Rebels peaked for me at season 2 but never drops from that High point. Everything about Thrawn was perfect.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I read the unused Duel of the Fates script yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it. In many ways, it was way better than the sloppy movie got, but in some ways it was actually even worse...
Spoiler:
The Pros:
- Rey combining the remains of Luke's lightsaber and her staff to make a dual-bladed saber is pretty awesome. One of the biggest plot holes in Episode IX is Luke's lightsaber inexplicably being in perfect working order despite being Force-pulled in half in Episode VIII.
- Instead of Rey being "aLl Of ThE jEdI", she embraces the balance between light and dark in the end, which I think works a lot better. Rey has always shown inclinations toward both sides of the Force and I think this is a more satisfying ending for the character.
- Finn gets a much better arc. Having him be the leader of a huge uprising on Coruscant and persuade a squadron of stormtroopers to rebel against the First Order would have made a much better story than him just tagging along for the ride in the last film.
- Having a significant portion of the film set on Coruscant would have been cool. It's always been weird to me how the sequels ignore pretty much everything associated with the prequels and actually showing us the capital of the damn galaxy would have been both a good way to connect all three trilogies and a good way to show how much power the First Order actually wields, something that is never clear in the films.
- General Hux gets some interesting development. The revelation that he wants Force powers and collects lightsabers adds depth to his envious hatred for Kylo Ren. I also like him committing seppuku with Mace Windu's saber. A much better death than *BLAM!* "we've found our traitor" <never mentioned again?>
- Incorporating Mortis would have been cool. I thought the Mortis episodes of TCW were interesting.
- Obviously, it wouldn't have been possible due to Carrie Fisher's death, but Leia's larger role is more satisfying than her awkwardly forced inclusion in Episode IX.
- The Knights of Ren actually do something (even if they're basically just there for a couple action scenes), and having their leader wield the Darksaber and fight Rey with it sounds awesome.
- No fake killing off Chewbacca or fake wiping C-3PO's memories forever. Good.
- This script actually feels like a sequel to Episode VIII. While I'm not a fan of that film, I'd rather see a movie that brings a fitting end to the trilogy than one that wastes a bunch of time trying to retcon the preceding movie and bringing back the Emperor out of nowhere.

The Cons:
- Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to give Rey and Poe a romance? That just doesn't work for me at all. Her weird pseudo-romance with Kylo Ren in the finished film is at least better than that.
- A significant portion of the film is devoted to Kylo Ren learning to Force-siphon the life out of people... all so he can use it once on Rey, then regret his decision and sacrifice himself to restore her. While most characters were better utilized in this script, I think Kylo Ren had a much more satisfying arc in the film we got. He's the best part of Episode IX, while he's the worst part of this script.
- I really don't like Kylo Ren being the one who killed Rey's parents and it makes little sense. Wasn't Kylo just a couple years older than her? Did he track her parents down and kill them when he was like ten years old? Or did they abandon her on Jakku for several years before he tracked them down and killed them? This last minute revelation is even weaker than what we got in the film.
All in all, I think Duel of the Fates would have made for a stronger finale than Rise of Skywalker, but I still don't think it would be one of the better Star Wars films. However, it might have at least been the best of the sequel trilogy, and made me have slightly more respect for the trilogy as a whole.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon May 25, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I read the unused Duel of the Fates script yesterday and I have mixed feelings about it. In many ways, it was way better than the sloppy movie got, but in some ways it was actually even worse...
Spoiler:
The Pros:
- Rey combining the remains of Luke's lightsaber and her staff to make a dual-bladed saber is pretty awesome. One of the biggest plot holes in Episode IX is Luke's lightsaber inexplicably being in perfect working order despite being Force-pulled in half in Episode VIII.
- Instead of Rey being "aLl Of ThE jEdI", she embraces the balance between light and dark in the end, which I think works a lot better. Rey has always shown inclinations toward both sides of the Force and I think this is a more satisfying ending for the character.
- Finn gets a much better arc. Having him be the leader of a huge uprising on Coruscant and persuade a squadron of stormtroopers to rebel against the First Order would have made a much better story than him just tagging along for the ride in the last film.
- Having a significant portion of the film set on Coruscant would have been cool. It's always been weird to me how the sequels ignore pretty much everything associated with the prequels and actually showing us the capital of the damn galaxy would have been both a good way to connect all three trilogies and a good way to show how much power the First Order actually wields, something that is never clear in the films.
- General Hux gets some interesting development. The revelation that he wants Force powers and collects lightsabers adds depth to his envious hatred for Kylo Ren. I also like him committing seppuku with Mace Windu's saber. A much better death than *BLAM!* "we've found our traitor" <never mentioned again?>
- Incorporating Mortis would have been cool. I thought the Mortis episodes of TCW were interesting.
- Obviously, it wouldn't have been possible due to Carrie Fisher's death, but Leia's larger role is more satisfying than her awkwardly forced inclusion in Episode IX.
- The Knights of Ren actually do something (even if they're basically just there for a couple action scenes), and having their leader wield the Darksaber and fight Rey with it sounds awesome.
- No fake killing off Chewbacca or fake wiping C-3PO's memories forever. Good.
- This script actually feels like a sequel to Episode VIII. While I'm not a fan of that film, I'd rather see a movie that brings a fitting end to the trilogy than one that wastes a bunch of time trying to retcon the preceding movie and bringing back the Emperor out of nowhere.

The Cons:
- Who the skreeonk thought it would be a good idea to give Rey and Poe a romance? That just doesn't work for me at all. Her weird pseudo-romance with Kylo Ren in the finished film is at least better than that.
- A significant portion of the film is devoted to Kylo Ren learning to Force-siphon the life out of people... all so he can use it once on Rey, then regret his decision and sacrifice himself to restore her. While most characters were better utilized in this script, I think Kylo Ren had a much more satisfying arc in the film we got. He's the best part of Episode IX, while he's the worst part of this script.
- I really don't like Kylo Ren being the one who killed Rey's parents and it makes little sense. Wasn't Kylo just a couple years older than her? Did he track her parents down and kill them when he was like ten years old? Or did they abandon her on Jakku for several years before he tracked them down and killed them? This last minute revelation is even weaker than what we got in the film.
All in all, I think Duel of the Fates would have made for a stronger finale than Rise of Skywalker, but I still don't think it would be one of the better Star Wars films. However, it might have at least been the best of the sequel trilogy, and made me have slightly more respect for the trilogy as a whole.
I mean, I trust Trevorrow more than JJ or RJ so that doesn't really surprise me.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

A fan supposedly made this edit to the ending of Rise of Skywalker as Rey defeats Palpatine and after seeing it this is canon to me. This is all Disney had to do, granted it wouldn't have saved the entire film as after watching it again on Disney plus I ended up fast forwarding through 2 hours of it.

Anyway the video has Anakin, Luke, Obi-Wan an Yoda as Force Ghosts helping Rey block and then redirect the lighting. It's easily the best version I have seen on youtube.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:A fan supposedly made this edit to the ending of Rise of Skywalker as Rey defeats Palpatine and after seeing it this is canon to me. This is all Disney had to do, granted it wouldn't have saved the entire film as after watching it again on Disney plus I ended up fast forwarding through 2 hours of it.

Anyway the video has Anakin, Luke, Obi-Wan an Yoda as Force Ghosts helping Rey block and then redirect the lighting. It's easily the best version I have seen on youtube.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glq5unfQmkoutube]
I don't have a problem with the way Rey beat Palpatine becasue one you set up Rey being able to fight Palpatine it doesn't matter at that point.

Rey in a year goes from never wielding a lightsaber or even knowing about the Force to she is able to fight Kylo Ren, gets owned by Snoke but then after a year with no fully fledged master to train her she can fight and defeat the Emperor.

Same guy who the Chosen One wasn't ready for after 10 years of training and 3 years of fighting a war and then the guy who was the son of the chosen one and was the last hope of the Jedi still wasn't ready for him.

Anakin, Luke and Yoda were all not ready for Sidious when they fought him but Rey was.

I'm done now sorry I got caught up.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yep, Rey had absolutely no business doing any of that at all.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I finally finished Rebels and I liked it a lot. Not sure if I liked it better than Clone Wars, but there are definitely aspects of it that I preferred. I honestly feel that it ended too soon. I usually think shows overstay their welcome, but this is a series that could have benefitted greatly from one more season. Thrawn's downfall felt rather abrupt and the unresolved cliffhanger regarding his fate and Ezra's is something that deserved resolution. I hope this show gets the Clone Wars treatment and a shorter final season set between Episodes VI and VII is released that resolves what became of Ezra and Thrawn, and ties off a few other loose ends. It could even just be one trilogy of episodes.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I finally finished Rebels and I liked it a lot. Not sure if I liked it better than Clone Wars, but there are definitely aspects of it that I preferred. I honestly feel that it ended too soon. I usually think shows overstay their welcome, but this is a series that could have benefitted greatly from one more season. Thrawn's downfall felt rather abrupt and the unresolved cliffhanger regarding his fate and Ezra's is something that deserved resolution. I hope this show gets the Clone Wars treatment and a shorter final season set between Episodes VI and VII is released that resolves what became of Ezra and Thrawn, and ties off a few other loose ends. It could even just be one trilogy of episodes.
There's rumors of a sequel series happening sometime later this year, though with the pandemic I doubt that release date will stick.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I finally finished Rebels and I liked it a lot. Not sure if I liked it better than Clone Wars, but there are definitely aspects of it that I preferred. I honestly feel that it ended too soon. I usually think shows overstay their welcome, but this is a series that could have benefitted greatly from one more season. Thrawn's downfall felt rather abrupt and the unresolved cliffhanger regarding his fate and Ezra's is something that deserved resolution. I hope this show gets the Clone Wars treatment and a shorter final season set between Episodes VI and VII is released that resolves what became of Ezra and Thrawn, and ties off a few other loose ends. It could even just be one trilogy of episodes.
There's rumors of a sequel series happening sometime later this year, though with the pandemic I doubt that release date will stick.
It could, animated series and movies can be worked on form home. I could see November-January being the release window still.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Is the mandalorian as good as everyone says it is? I’m probably gonna start watching it tomorrow.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Is the mandalorian as good as everyone says it is? I’m probably gonna start watching it tomorrow.
IMO, yes. It's the best thing to come out of the Disney Era of Star Wars. I especially like it's neo-western style and the fact that its disconnected enough from the movies so it has its own distinctive feel unaffected by anything from the OT/ST/PT.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Is the mandalorian as good as everyone says it is? I’m probably gonna start watching it tomorrow.
It's certainly a very fun watch... However, having some sort of familiarity with the Star Wars franchise will definitely enhance the experience. I don't know a lot about the series, just enough to get a kick out of some references and familiar settings/alien races.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Did anyone see that Marvel Comics recently released Star Wars #108 and that it featured the return of Valance the Hunter?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

mikelcho wrote:Did anyone see that Marvel Comics recently released Star Wars #108 and that it featured the return of Valance the Hunter?
They released it last year as a one off unless your talking about the current comics that got a renumbering.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

miguelnuva wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Did anyone see that Marvel Comics recently released Star Wars #108 and that it featured the return of Valance the Hunter?
They released it last year as a one off unless your talking about the current comics that got a renumbering.
No, I'm talking about that one.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

It is quite good.

But, no, I would not say it's as good as everyone says it is. Ultimately, it's somewhat superficial and safe Star Wars, and most of its one-off stories and guest characters are notably underdeveloped.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Best thing out of Disney's Star Wars by far imo.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira