The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by JAGzilla »

Labyrinth. It's the kind of movie that's meant to be a staple of one's childhood. As it is, I only saw it once as a kid, about seven, and aside from a vague memory of being moderately scared of Jareth's introduction and Ludo, it left no impression on me at all and I forgot virtually all of it at least twenty years ago. This time, I think it might stick a little more. Jim Henson did some really great work with this one. That eyeball fungus stuff should be a standard Halloween decoration.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge

Watched Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge after getting my pre-ordered copy in the mail yesterday. I pre-ordered it mainly for the gore and fatalities (true Mortal Kombat at last), but the story held my interest just enough to keep me entertained when limbs weren't flying. There was just enough of a balance between development and screentime for each of the characters and fight scenes and when they're on, they do not disappoint. The choreography and, perhaps most importantly, the fatalities are excellent.

Say what you will about the 1995 movie and/or its shitty sequel (calling it shitty is a bit of an understatement, LOL), this is the way Mortal Kombat is and was always supposed to be. Here's hoping they at least do a half-decent job with the live-action reboot, can't wait to see them gory fatalities in live-action that we should've gotten in '95 (though I understand why they thought it was too much of a financial liability at the time).
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Brave Storm

The movie that is a crossover/reboot of both Super Robot Red Baron and
Silver Kamen.

This is up on Amazon prime, under the title of . Yes, the title is really just a full stop. Who ever put it up there really, didn't give a duck, as not they didn't brother with the title they didn't brother with a plot description either!

Anyways, the movie itself is pretty good. I'm impressed with how they managed to combine two different into single movie reboot and have it work. The people behind this, clearly putt their hearts into this. The effects are great, half the time I couldn't tell what was a practical effect and what was CGI half the time. The giant robots are top notch, they have this sence of scale and weight to them that brings to mind Pacific Rim.

I would recommend it, it's early great Saturday night pizza movie. So go in expecting that and you'll have a good time.

Added in 5 days 21 hours 3 minutes 57 seconds:
PM entertainment 's Firepower is the sort of movie, I feel like I should like. It's a dystopian future(2006!) Where major cities have law free zones, in L.A's zone, a gang is selling a fake cure for Aids and stage nightly death fights. The Movie has great shoot outs and cool fights between people who can actually fight, Gary Daniels and The Ultimate Warrior, Jim Helwig.

So, I should like this, right? I would if Chad McQueen was the main star, to say that he didn't inherite any of his dad's acting skills is a understatement. He goes full the whole movie with a look of miled constipation.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I recently bought a TV series on DVD that I saw long ago when I was a kid and haven't seen in years.

It's called The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show: The Complete Series. The way I see it now, it's kinda-sorta like a Saturday morning counterpart of The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour.

Now if they could just do the same thing to The Harlem Globetrotters Popcorn Machine, that'd be great! (Btw, both series were back-to-back on CBS in 1974-75. The Harlem Globetrotters' show came first, followed by the Hudson Brothers' show.)

UPDATE: I just received the series today! Hoooo-ray!
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Rewatched Fargo yesterday and confirmed my suspicions that it’s probably my favorite movie of all time.
He Jock it Made of Steel

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Just got my Director's Cut Blu-Ray of Fearless in the mail earlier today and just started watching it, so glad I picked this up. 10 minutes in and I'm already hooked, this movie has some of the best fighting and choreography I've ever seen. It's been over a decade since I've last seen this (I rented it from Blockbuster back when those were still around in 2005, that's how long it was), but it's holding up very well.

If you're a fan of kung-fu movies, this is a must-have.

Also watched a little bit of Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles the other day. I can't believe I didn't get around to watching this back when it was still on network TV because it's pretty good from the little bit of S1 I've seen so far.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Finished Patriot on Amazon and now watching the creator's new series Perpetual Grace LTD on Epix. If you like dark comedies full of quirky offbeat characters where everything that could possibly go wrong does, I'd give them both a watch. Both series are from writer/director Steven Conrad.

Patriot stars Michael Dorman, Terry O'Quinn, Kurtwood Smith, Chris Conrad, Michael Chernus, Gil Bellows, and Debra Winger.

Perpetual Grace stars Ben Kingsley, It's Always Sunny's Jimmi Simpson, Luis Guzman, Damon Herriman, Chris Conrad, Terry O'Quinn, Kurtwood Smith, Timothy Spall, and Ash vs the Evil Dead's Dana Delorenzo
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

As of late, I've been making up for lost childhood time by watching 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' 1987 and 2003. While the former isn't without its charm (and certainly has the better theme song), I can't help but be a bit more partial to the latter. As for which turtle I consider a favorite (in both series), that would definitely be Donatello.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Leviarex wrote:As of late, I've been making up for lost childhood time by watching 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' 1987 and 2003. While the former isn't without its charm (and certainly has the better theme song), I can't help but be a bit more partial to the latter. As for which turtle I consider a favorite (in both series), that would definitely be Donatello.
While the 1987 show is terribly uneven, at it's best I find it really engaging and charming, and even at its worst I still find the characters fun.

The 2003 show is too dry for me, the long term arcs just don't engage me, and most of the time it is far more concerned with plotting than with characterization.

I'm a huge fan of the 2012 series. It balances its arcs and its one offs really well, there's a ton of variety to the stories, and pretty much every episode has a clear character focus.

For me, favorite turtle in the 87 series is Raph, in the '03 series... I guess Mikey, and in the the '12 series it would probably be Leo.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

eabaker wrote:For me, favorite turtle in the 87 series is Raph
Certainly impossible not to love his sarcastic wit.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I remember being really into the 2012 series but stopped keeping up with it when they got to the farmhouse. No reason, I just got distracted and never went back. It was probably the most solid of them all, though I will always have a special place in my heart for the 2003 series just because it was the Turtles I grew up with.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Lion King (94). Probably the 50th time I've seen it, of course, but it had been several years since the last viewing. Man, it is just... really, strikingly good. Epic and beautiful to an extent that very few other Disney animated movies can even approach. In other news, water is wet, I know, but some facts deserve to be periodically reiterated. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Been watching the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, had never done so before.

So far watched The Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest, and I have to say, I consider these movies to be the 21st century equivalent of the OTL Star Wars.

The fun, charming and charismatic characters, simple but very engaging plots (Dead Man's Chest imo should be taught at screenwriting lessons, absolutely every single thing present in the movie is there for the sake and improvement of the plot), well coreographed and shot action, a legendary OST, CGI that even now holds up pretty well (Davy Jones is fucking fantastic)

They're summer blockbusters done well, and now my gold standard for them alongside Star Wars and the original Jurassic Park
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ManuJM1997 wrote:Been watching the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, had never done so before.

So far watched The Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest, and I have to say, I consider these movies to be the 21st century equivalent of the OTL Star Wars.

The fun, charming and charismatic characters, simple but very engaging plots (Dead Man's Chest imo should be taught at screenwriting lessons, absolutely every single thing present in the movie is there for the sake and improvement of the plot), well coreographed and shot action, a legendary OST, CGI that even now holds up pretty well (Davy Jones is fucking fantastic)

They're summer blockbusters done well, and now my gold standard for them alongside Star Wars and the original Jurassic Park
I really enjoyed the first Pirates on the big screen, but repeat viewings have left me cold. Unlike Star Wars, it doesn't have the kind of emotional shading and resonance that makes repeat viewing compelling.

I thought Dead Man's Chest was a complete mess the first time I saw it. It's all plot, no story, and the structure felt haphazard. I found it incredibly boring.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

eabaker wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:Been watching the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, had never done so before.

The fun, charming and charismatic characters, simple but very engaging plots (Dead Man's Chest imo should be taught at screenwriting lessons, absolutely every single thing present in the movie is there for the sake and improvement of the plot), well coreographed and shot action, a legendary OST, CGI that even now holds up pretty well (Davy Jones is skreeonking fantastic)

I really enjoyed the first Pirates on the big screen, but repeat viewings have left me cold. Unlike Star Wars, it doesn't have the kind of emotional shading and resonance that makes repeat viewing compelling.

I thought Dead Man's Chest was a complete mess the first time I saw it. It's all plot, no story, and the structure felt haphazard. I found it incredibly boring.
While I'll agree that the emotional ressonance of A New Hope is better, I honestly feel Curse did the development of relationships between the main cast better. They all have their moments together, of development and understanding that really gives off the feeling that these are people that are growing on each other. A New Hope I think somewhat staggered in connecting Leia to the rest of the cast. During most of the movie she's the Princess Peach to be rescued, away in the castle, and even after Luke and Han free her, she doesn't really have much interactions with then sans some action and danger setpieces. On which trust and stuff can totally be built, but I felt it more organical on Pirates.

As for Dead Man's Chest, respectfully disagree. It's much more emotional than the first part, and it beautifully connects the personal stories and conflicts (in the film) of Jack, Will and Elizabeth, Norrington, Davy Jones and Cutler into the race for the Chest.

The grand story in of itself is nothing espectacular (6 people complete to get to a chest) but it's execution both at the technical aspect of structure and the narrative and emotional part of each character is, at least for me, nothing sort of masterful.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm going through movies in a top 50 of all time list I made a while back that I haven't seen in ages to see if I still think as highly of them. Today I watched the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, Curse of the Black Pearl.

First thing's first, I think it might be teetering on the edge of "favorite" and "not a favorite". My biggest problem with it is the pacing, it seems like it drags on for a little longer than it should. But aside from that, it's a real good time. All the characters are memorable and lovable, the effects are pretty astounding for the time and the music is great too. The story is right at home with classic adventure films like Raiders of the Lost Ark and there's a lot of great sequences of action and fantastic quotes sprinkled throughout.

I'm trying to force myself not to marathon the rest of the series until I finish Avatar: The Last Airbender but I'm curious if the later films' heavy introduction of supernatural elements will endear them to me more than this one. While I love the ghost pirate crew in this one, the mythology of Davy Jones and the sea creature crew of the Flying Dutchman are more my speed. We'll see.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

UltramanGoji wrote:I'm going through movies in a top 50 of all time list I made a while back that I haven't seen in ages to see if I still think as highly of them. Today I watched the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, Curse of the Black Pearl.

First thing's first, I think it might be teetering on the edge of "favorite" and "not a favorite". My biggest problem with it is the pacing, it seems like it drags on for a little longer than it should. But aside from that, it's a real good time. All the characters are memorable and lovable, the effects are pretty astounding for the time and the music is great too. The story is right at home with classic adventure films like Raiders of the Lost Ark and there's a lot of great sequences of action and fantastic quotes sprinkled throughout.

I'm trying to force myself not to marathon the rest of the series until I finish Avatar: The Last Airbender but I'm curious if the later films' heavy introduction of supernatural elements will endear them to me more than this one. While I love the ghost pirate crew in this one, the mythology of Davy Jones and the sea creature crew of the Flying Dutchman are more my speed. We'll see.
I'll try not to spoil anything, but everything dealing with Davy Jones in Dead Mans Chest is fantastic, At Worlds End's focus on mystical forces is a bit iffy, but it doesn't bother me (I understand those that didn't care for it), On Stranger Tides mainly focuses on Earth legends, so it's a bit more grounded than AWE, and Dead Men Tell No Tell No Tales focuses again on ghosts. To me, DMC is the only sequel that surpasses TBC in terms of quality.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

UltramanGoji wrote:I'm going through movies in a top 50 of all time list I made a while back that I haven't seen in ages to see if I still think as highly of them. Today I watched the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, Curse of the Black Pearl.

Yeah, some of the scenes in Black Pearl drag on a bit too long. I personally think the scenes towards the climax with Norrington and his crew are the ones that suffer the most from that.

That's one of the few bad things I can say about the film

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

godzilla98rules wrote:
I'll try not to spoil anything, but everything dealing with Davy Jones in Dead Mans Chest is fantastic, At Worlds End's focus on mystical forces is a bit iffy, but it doesn't bother me (I understand those that didn't care for it), On Stranger Tides mainly focuses on Earth legends, so it's a bit more grounded than AWE, and Dead Men Tell No Tell No Tales focuses again on ghosts. To me, DMC is the only sequel that surpasses TBC in terms of quality.
Oh, I've already seen all the movies before. It's just been a while since then.
ManuJM1997 wrote: Yeah, some of the scenes in Black Pearl drag on a bit too long. I personally think the scenes towards the climax with Norrington and his crew are the ones that suffer the most from that.

That's one of the few bad things I can say about the film
Yeah, there's nothing really engaging about Norrington's whole side of the story, at least not enough to make him a recurring character throughout the series.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I finally watched Justice League Dark: Apokolips War, that was awesome. Easily one of the better DC animated films I've seen. I really liked the whole Justice League defeated angle with some nice dark twists and turns along the way. The action easily ranks up there with the best DC animated movies as well. Loved it from start to finish.

8.5/10