Marvel Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

Which are your favorites (so far)?

Iron Man (2008)
9%
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
1%
Iron Man 2 (2010)
1%
Thor (2011)
1%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
4%
The Avengers (2012)
8%
Iron Man 3 (2013)
2%
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
1%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
9%
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
9%
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
3%
Ant-Man (2015)
1%
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
6%
Doctor Strange (2016)
2%
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
4%
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
4%
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
7%
Black Panther (2018)
3%
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
11%
Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
1%
Captain Marvel (2019)
1%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
9%
Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
4%

Total votes: 398

SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

tbeasley wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:58 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:22 pmSony forced Venom in because he was popular. I believe the orginal plan was the Black suit would allow Peter to defeat Sandman and New Goblin who he would have struggled with individually in the red suit.

This bet part is rumor
The suit makes him kill Harry however and we get Venom set up for the 4th movie.
Raimi wanted New Goblin, Sandman and Vulture but Avi Arad made/convinced him to swap out Vulture for Venom. So the film was always going to be a bit overcrowded, but Venom as a character carries way more baggage compared to someone like Vulture. Arad insisted on a character they couldn't exactly do justice to.
More specifically, Raimi has said straight up he hates Venom as a character. The whole appeal to him in a Spider-Man villain is the clash between their monstrous split personality and their human good side. Raimi says Venom has none of that. He's just a flat bad guy and he didn't want to use him because he knew he had no love or idea how to adapt him right.

People say Vulture was gonna be in 3 but I always got the impression he was shifted to 4 early on. Think the whole film was gonna be what we got, just with Peter getting arrogant and revenge driven without the black suit and probably a more small scale finale.

RIP Evan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:09 am
tbeasley wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:58 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:22 pmSony forced Venom in because he was popular. I believe the orginal plan was the Black suit would allow Peter to defeat Sandman and New Goblin who he would have struggled with individually in the red suit.

This bet part is rumor
The suit makes him kill Harry however and we get Venom set up for the 4th movie.
Raimi wanted New Goblin, Sandman and Vulture but Avi Arad made/convinced him to swap out Vulture for Venom. So the film was always going to be a bit overcrowded, but Venom as a character carries way more baggage compared to someone like Vulture. Arad insisted on a character they couldn't exactly do justice to.
More specifically, Raimi has said straight up he hates Venom as a character. The whole appeal to him in a Spider-Man villain is the clash between their monstrous split personality and their human good side. Raimi says Venom has none of that. He's just a flat bad guy and he didn't want to use him because he knew he had no love or idea how to adapt him right.

People say Vulture was gonna be in 3 but I always got the impression he was shifted to 4 early on. Think the whole film was gonna be what we got, just with Peter getting arrogant and revenge driven without the black suit and probably a more small scale finale.
Rami didn't mind using the Black suit. Just Venom he hated, which is wierd given Venom's backstory.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just got done with the first two episodes of WandaVision. I didn't really have any hopes for it or any idea what to expect from the trailer, but it's actually really cool so far. The weird '50s sitcom setting is a great change of pace.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Very curious to see who the villain of WandaVision is. First two eps were pretty neat, but the whole 50s/60s/70s sitcom gimmick, I feel, will run its course pretty quickly.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:01 pm Very curious to see who the villain of WandaVision is. First two eps were pretty neat, but the whole 50s/60s/70s sitcom gimmick, I feel, will run its course pretty quickly.
Just judging by what we've seen, I think Grim Reaper, Swarm, and Mephisto are being hinted at.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:14 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:01 pm Very curious to see who the villain of WandaVision is. First two eps were pretty neat, but the whole 50s/60s/70s sitcom gimmick, I feel, will run its course pretty quickly.
Just judging by what we've seen, I think Grim Reaper, Swarm, and Mephisto are being hinted at.
I can see Swarm because of the bee keeper scene, and I know Grim Reaper has an Easter Egg in the opening, but can't really figure out where people are getting Mephisto from, unless I missed something.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mephisto is heavily involved with the comic story of Scarlet Witch and Vision’s children, so if they’re playing up that angle they’re most likely involving him somehow.

Also Dottie’s line about “the devil is in the details” and Agnes saying “that’s not all he’s in” could also be viewed as a subtle hint too.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Mephisto would make sense as an arc villain with both Spider-Man 3 and Multiverse as Madness as the upcoming films
Spoiler:
as well as that supposed leaked ending. Manipulating someone into making the world more chaotic for "equality" is just his MMO

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I liked the first two episodes of Wandavision a lot. Many many good satirical jokes about 1950s and 60s television that I wonder if people would get. Already made me care about two MCU people I really don’t care about, Vision and Scarlett witch. They do have good charisma together though!

Anyone notice the Hydra logo in the advert in the second episode? Looked up The Swarm, based on what MM wrote, and it would make sense to integrate the swarm into hydra.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:52 pm Anyone notice the Hydra logo in the advert in the second episode?
Yup! And the watch is a Strucker brand watch, Strucker being the Hydra scientist who experimented on Wanda and her brother to give them their powers. The first commercial was also a reference to the Stark missile that hit their home and landed near them - the anxious ticking noise was specifically something Wanda mentioned in Age of Ultron.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:36 pm Yup! And the watch is a Strucker brand watch, Strucker being the Hydra scientist who experimented on Wanda and her brother to give them their powers. The first commercial was also a reference to the Stark missile that hit their home and landed near them - the anxious ticking noise was specifically something Wanda mentioned in Age of Ultron.
Ah, okay. I didn't catch the significance of either of those. Cool.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It’s brief, but I noticed in episode 2 there’s a mention of Jesus and I believe there’s also a reference to the devil. I’m pretty sure this is the first time marvel has ever referenced religion like that and I do wonder if it’s build up for Mephisto.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:55 am It’s brief, but I noticed in episode 2 there’s a mention of Jesus and I believe there’s also a reference to the devil. I’m pretty sure this is the first time marvel has ever referenced religion like that and I do wonder if it’s build up for Mephisto.
I might cite Cap's line in Avengers, ("There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that") but that may be considered more of an implication than straight reference. Regardless I'll be very interested to see if Mephisto gets involved.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Has anyone been watching WandaVision on Disney Plus? The first few episodes where pretty bad but the last three episodes have been excellent. Today's was really awesome
Spoiler:
They brought QuickSilver back but not Aaron Taylor Johnson's QuickSilver, its the Evan Peters version from the latest X-Men movies.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

WandaVision has been insane so far, and it's only going to get crazier. To quote Darcy, 'I'm invested'.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

gvamp wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:29 pm
Spoiler:
They brought QuickSilver back but not Aaron Taylor Johnson's QuickSilver, its the Evan Peters version from the latest X-Men movies.
Spoiler:
OH, okay. Wow. That is REALLY out there. I knew the guy playing Quicksilver looked familiar, but it didn't click who he was. Holy crap. What the heck does this mean?

My initial reaction is that I hope it doesn't mean a full crossover with the Fox X-Men series, unless that will just be a standalone thing. I'm done with the Fox X-Men at this point, and was really hoping for a clean-slate reboot in the MCU. Also, Fox Quicksilver is horrifyingly overpowered. :lol: He could've casually solo'd the Chitauri invasion before they had time to fire a shot.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

gvamp wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:29 pm The first few episodes where pretty bad
I absolutely disagree with you. Those first couple of episodes did a great job of establishing the premise, teasing the audience with oblique hints, and breaking with their "reality" enough to establish an atmosphere of discomfort, all while expertly recapturing the tone and style of first Golden Age and then 1960s sit-coms.

Also, regarding the thing you spoiler tagged,
Spoiler:
I'd been suggesting that to people as a complete joke. I never imagined the show might actually cast Peters in the role!

Although my real dream would have been to have him speed in - so that you would know who the character was but couldn't initially see his face - and then have him stop, revealed as Peters, and say, "I bet you didn't see that coming." But obviously that's a tad too jokey.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Spoiler:
We all know who Evan Peter's Quicksilvers' father is... Michael Fassbender Magneto in Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness OR BUST

Also if you guys remember he had 2 sisters in Apocalypse...
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Going to post this entire thing in spoilers
Spoiler:
I HIGHLY doubt Peters is specifically playing the Fox version of the character. It's just going to be the whole J. Jonah Jameson scenario from the Spider-man films again. People liked him and now that Marvel regained X-Men, and people liked him in the role more than Aaron Taylor, they simply recast him. Fairly sure there's going to be a reason why he looks different, or there might not be. [/quote]

And I REALLY hope they don't try and merge the Fox X-Universe with the MCU. Just please fucking no. Sure, if you want to bring some of the actors over that were great, sure. Do it. But hell to the fucking no to the scrambled mess of continuity that is Fox's X-Men merging with the MCU. The only character from Fox that should be brought over and merged is Deadpool, because that scenario writes way too many stories. The idea of Deadpool meeting a different version of Colossus while going on about changing things, and even just waking up one day and saying "Oh, gee. Guess I'm in the MCU now? Looks like its a retcon folks!" writes itself. The craziness fits him. Just imagine Deadpool meeting the MCU's Wolverine and instantly saying "You're not Hugh Jackman!" Those types of jokes and references to the Fox films are, IMO, the only things that should be done canon wise.

Quote of the Year:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Spoiler:
I think we can rule out the 'recast' theory just based on the fact that Quicksilver didn't recognize Vision. If he is the same person, and assuming Wanda isn't interfering with his mind in some way, he should remember Vision from AoU. Also, we already know that Wanda will play a big role in Multiverse of Madness, so getting her involved with alternate universes as setup for that movie makes sense.