The Official Mystery Science Theater 3000 Topic

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Starsteam
Keizer

Re: The Official Mystery Science Theater 3000 Topic

Post by Starsteam »

Trailer's out https://youtu.be/5ct0Z2bQndM

Movie clips are from Reptilicus, Starcrash, and Time Travelers. All three of those were included on that leaked IMDB episode list from a while back.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

Starsteam wrote:leaked IMDB episode list from a while back.

Crud I missed that. Been killing me to know what movies they're doing.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

TheSecondComing wrote:
Starsteam wrote:leaked IMDB episode list from a while back.

Crud I missed that. Been killing me to know what movies they're doing.
Got you covered, but these aren't in the same order as they were on IMDB.
Spoiler:
At the Earth's Core (was the last episode listed)
Avalanche
Carnival Magic
Cry Wilderness
Hercules
Reptilicus (was listed as the first episode, and has been confirmed as the first episode by people who attended the screening)
Starcrash (confirmed)
The Beast of the Hollow Mountain
The Christmas That Almost Wasn't
The Land That Time Forgot
Time Travelers (confirmed)
Wizards 1
Wizards 2
Yongary

I have no idea what Wizards 1 and 2 is, but it's been speculated to be the animated film that featured a Mark Hamil voice cameo or the two Wizards of the Lost Kingdom films. Also don't know which Hercules film.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

I love Mystery Science Theater! I'm so glad they're finally bringing it back! That show was honestly one of my favorites of all time. My favorite bot would be Tom Servo, and I like Joel better than Mike. Joel has a greater relationship with the bots, and many of his jokes made me laugh for most of the entire episode. I also like Dr Forrester and TV's Frank as for the Mads. If anybody doesn't know (which they probably do) the series is on Netflix, and another Roku channel called ' Pluto '. As of the time I'm writing this, Netflix only has Season 1 but is coming with more soon.

My favorite season would probably be the first two, and to be honest some of the episodes with Mike. Unrelated, I also happen to have every episode with the exception of Godzilla vs Megalon on VHS and DVD.

I'll 100% be posting more stuff on this thread. See everyone in the not too distant future!

Added in 1 minute 12 seconds:
Starsteam wrote:Trailer's out https://youtu.be/5ct0Z2bQndM

Movie clips are from Reptilicus, Starcrash, and Time Travelers. All three of those were included on that leaked IMDB episode list from a while back.
Reptilicus?... Starcrash?...

This is going to be excellent. :D
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

BlueGojira wrote:As of the time I'm writing this, Netflix only has Season 1 but is coming with more soon.
Eh, not really, it's just a random assortment of episodes spanning across the whole series that's just labeled as S1. Probably has something to do with the liscensing stuff and Netflix not wanting to make 10 mangled playlists.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Anyhow, that list of movies has some excellent films for riffing, and some that I just like. This will be good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

NSZ wrote:
BlueGojira wrote:As of the time I'm writing this, Netflix only has Season 1 but is coming with more soon.
Eh, not really, it's just a random assortment of episodes spanning across the whole series that's just labeled as S1. Probably has something to do with the liscensing stuff and Netflix not wanting to make 10 mangled playlists.
Alright, than. But there are many more websites such as Google Videos that have MST3K episodes in order, that was kind of just an example.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Luckily that so-called season one has some of the all time best episodes.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Luckily that so-called season one has some of the all time best episodes.
Joel said they purposely included 7 out of the top 10 episodes voted by fans (they didn't have streaming rights for the other 3).

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

10 more days...

Gawdziller
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Gawdziller »

Those of us who backed the Kickstarter (certain pledge and up, mine was $200) got to see the episode today. I signed no such waiver of keeping things under wraps, so prepare to be spoiled!

I wrote this for another board, thought I'd toss it for the MSTies over here too.

Just finished it myself. My thoughts? It's...IT'S...

Complicated.

Here's the thing, I think people are going to see what they want to see in this episode. Those who are convinced that bringing the show back is a great idea will enjoy, but it's also going to annoy those who don't think the series should have been brought back.

This particular episode reminded me a lot about the first Family Guy episode after it was brought back where there seemed to have been some need to cram everything that made the series a cult hit into a single episode in order to keep those viewers that had been anticipating it's return with baited breath. It's very rapid fire, and it fires on all cylinders. It doesn't always hit, but it has enthusiasm. The trouble with moving so fast is that often a riff drops THE EXACT MOMENT the screen changes to what it's riffing on and it kind of kills the joke, because it feels mechanical and not like a reaction.

That said, I liked it. It's buggy, and hopefully will be ironed out (but considering how quickly production went, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't), but this was overall a satisfying experience.

More spoilerish thoughts...

On the show presentation and host segments:
Spoiler:
*The opening prologue with Wil Wheaton was adorable. It went on a little too long trying to explain Jonah's character, especially when none of it matters once he gets captured, but I really dug it.

*The new theme and (I'm assuming it doesn't get changed up) opening credit sequence I'm mixed on. I loved how they turned it into a big song and dance number, but the lack of the traditional "clips from the show" opening the series used to have made it feel a bit plain. But this is speculation that this wasn't exclusive to this episode.

*The new doorway sequence initially disappointed me. The doors just being numbers looked underwhelming, but then I noticed what was going on the sides of the doors, in which each one turns into a different room on the ship. That was really cool. I'm really glad I watched this on my TV because I would have completely missed this if I watched it on my laptop. After I noticed those details I think it might be my favorite doorway sequence.

*Seeing the prologue going right into the theme and in turn right into the series itself, which seemingly takes place some time later, was a little weird for me. We literally just watched Jonah get highjackex in space and when we next see him he's in good spirits and knows almost everything that's going on. That didn't gel with me.

*Those wondering why Crow and Servo are back...continue to wonder. There is no explanation for why they're back on the SOL. Story arc? Nooooooooo!

*The Mads aren't given much to do. They introduce themselves, apparently TV's Son of TV's Frank is really named "Max." Don't know if that's a running gag or not, but if it is I hoped they reconsidered. It was funny the first time, but I don't see much more to be gained by milking it. Felicia and Patton predictably are dynamite with what little they're given.

*I'm enjoying Rebecca's Gypsy. We don't see much of her Mad character outside what the preview showed, but the end credits names her "Synthia."

*I mostly liked the host segments, despite finding the Invention Exchange awkward (the Mads didn't even present an invention) and I'm not quite sure where the letters came from given the history of this project. I enjoyed the song, however it felt ill-placed. Most songs like this are saved for the third host segment and here it is boom right in the first. This goes back to what I'm saying about it shooting everything at the viewer, because there's pretty much no time to settle ourselves back in before this hits. I'm probably not one to talk, but I felt this should have been saved for later in the show,
to give the finale a bit of a push into he home stretch of the episode.

Thoughts on the movie and riffing:
Spoiler:
*When I first heard they were doing Reptilicus, I gave a fangirl squee. The movie is pretty perfect for the show and it was the right choice for the first episode.

*As noted earlier, the riffing feels a bit all in. When it's funny it's really funny, when it's not they're already on the next joke. I feel the riffing should simmer down a little bit. Not every square inch of the episode should be jokes.

*Servo now enters the theater by himself. This might be nitpicking but...I miss him being carried in. This kind of looks awkward. He uses his hover skirt a LOT in this episode. Little of it is really funny, but it just feels like a demo of what they can do now.

*Baron and Jonah still sound similar. Meh.

*Puppetry doesn't quite have the right feel yet. Crow's beak is very awkward, as it keeps bending out of place in the host segments, meanwhile in the theater his mouth just kind of opens wide for riffs. It doesn't feel as expressionable as when Trace and Bill controlled him

*Gypsy appearing in the theater and throwing out a riff or two was a pleasant surprise. I have no clue what the hell she's doing there (dropping off some basket or...?), but it was fun.

*Riffing was overall funny. The movie riffing flavor felt something like Gamera meets Beginning of the End. I wouldn't rank this episode quite as good as those two, but I had a blast.

*The answer is yes, there is a stinger. And it's perfect.

Good appetizer, but I feel the series after this probably HAS to be better. That's my first impression at any rate.
TEAM (Gareth) EDWARD(s)!
Legion1979 wrote:Oh yes, thank you for linking to a page with nothing but Japanese text. That was so damn helpful.
Brody wrote:I don't approve of any kind of sex that involves male genitalia
gzilla46 wrote: I've come up with WAY worse ideas than this.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would Gappa, Guilala or Inframan make good candidates?

*edit*

2 and a half hours more...

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

MST3K Season 11 is a return to form and I'm enjoying the shit outta it. Watch out for snakes!
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Okay, so we all saw Cry Wilderness, right?

That wasn't just a hallucination?

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I've only watched the first episode so far, but it's preeeeeeeetty good!

My biggest complaints come from the intro. Why go to such lengths to explain how Jonah got there, but not even touch on the 'Bots? And I feel like maybe they gave Jonah too much respect. The previous hosts have been average Joes or losers, not people who have been randomly swooned over. Just to get all the negativity out of the way now, not sold on Gypsy's new voice. I understand them wanting to get a woman, but now she just sounds like Magic Voice. But I dig that she's suspended from the roof now!

Moving away from negativity... the new Mads displayed a pretty good chemistry already and I think the little bumpers with their henchmen are cute. I think the complaints about the speed of the riffs are valid, but not as bad as I was expecting. Some of them were just kind of frantic and others didn't strike me as jokes as much as simple statements, but on the whole they were mostly harmless or funny. Some were really funny! Got some really great lines. It's weird seeing a proper MST3K with timely references. I love it. The new 'Bots did an admirable job. I thought it would take a few episodes for them to stop trying too hard to emulate the old puppeteers and get comfortable, but I feel like they made good progress just within the first episode! I think I might have been most pleased with the host segments though. The song was good even if I prefer the show tune-style of the past ones and the cloning and Gyptilicus bits could have come right out of past seasons. Bravo on capturing that spirit!

So, aside from a few nitpicks, I liked it! I liked it a lot! And I hope it keeps getting better.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anyone get to watching Yongary yet?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LegendZilla wrote:Anyone get to watching Yongary yet?
Yep. They were way more lenient with it than I was expecting them to be. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

NSZ wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Anyone get to watching Yongary yet?
Yep. They were way more lenient with it than I was expecting them to be. I was pleasantly surprised by that.
Do you recall any particular jokes from the episode?

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

I admit, I've only ever been a casual fan, but I'm digging this revival so far.

I haven't been watching it entirely in order, since I watched it with my 2-year-old son and he voted we skip from Cry Wilderness (an amazing episode and a movie I hope to someday see at B-Fest when I'm finally able to go back) to Starcrash. The show really won me over with the 75% of the episode I watched for The Land That Time Forgot so far, though.

I've seen several of the movies this season before, but the only other time I had seen a movie I loved get riffed on the show thus far (haven't seen any of the Godzilla episodes) was when they did Gamera vs. Barugon, and that almost made me angry. (Why the [i[Hell[/I] would you cut out all of Gamera's first fight with Barugon and then mock the movie for not having Gamera in it?!) Meanwhile, I have always loved The Land That Time Forgot and I think they've done an excellent job ribbing it. However, I really fell in love with the Moon 14 Mesozoic Barbecue sketch and the riff, "Why isn't Styracosaurus everyone's favorite dinosaur? It's like someone ordered a Triceratops with a side of spikes."

As someone who has always counted Styracosaurus among my favorite dinosaurs, that naturally delighted me to no end.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I do agree with Gawdziller that they threw a few too many riffs in the first episode, it has hard keeping up with them all and if felt a bit cluttered. Still its not a bad start. Hope they can keep it up.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983