Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Official News topic

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:59 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:56 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:41 pm
During the peak of the controversy this kinda information was everywhere, but some notable examples that went viral are,

https://twitter.com/fluffyguy/status/13 ... 64322?s=20

https://twitter.com/HolySka1991/status/ ... 02758?s=20

https://twitter.com/Ejmiller25/status/1 ... 53410?s=20

https://twitter.com/SMEARGLEX75/status/ ... 76000?s=20

Added in 2 minutes :
And my personal favorite,

I think Eabaker is asking what the source is for the original "cancelation" and controversy, not being beloved by Latino communities. Also, I think it's worth noting at this interjection that the Pepe situation is different than the speedy one. The big issue is that everything is put under a large umbrella.
Ah my apologies if that was what he meant, I believe it was just a few cancellation posts when he was suddenly grouped in with Pepe during the height of the controversy.

But yes otherwise the biggest issue here is the blanket stuff.
Actually, I was looking for the sources for the perspective of Latino communities, but I was hoping for something slightly less anecdotal and more reliably demographically representational than a handful of Twitter threads/imgur posts.

Added in 4 minutes 41 seconds:
mikelcho wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:44 am And while we're on the subject of potentially offensive characters, does anyone else but me notice that everyone's complaining about Speedy Gonzales but no one's ever said anything about, say, Pepe le Pew?
Pepe's actually coming up a lot in these discussions right now, not because of race/nationality, but because of inappropriate sexual advances (and, as with Speedy, that's nothing new, nor is it something that will have a palpable impact on any of our lives). :)
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH something tells me Pepe le Pew isn't gonna stay gone anyway so..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

As someone who is Latino and watched Looney Tunes as a kid, I never saw Speedy Gonzales as being offensive. I just saw him as being a really fun character. I mean, how could a young child watch that and immediately think of racism unless someone explains it to you, which my parents never did because they knew how stupid that be. When I first heard of people saying that he is offensive because he embodies Mexican stereotypes, I was thinking "Uh...no. He's not. Stop being so f*cking offended over everything. Many of us like Speedy."

And going after Pepe Le Pew as well? Come on.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:31 am
Malchik wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:19 am
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:58 am Of all the things we have to worry about over the next couple of decades, I highly doubt that nukes from the moon is one of them.
I'm not worried. Biden is putting NASA to good use.

US considers using NASA facility to house migrant children
I’ve heard of moving goalposts, but this is ridiculous.
Implying I was even trying to make an argument. Take my political posts with a bit of levity in the future.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:24 am
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:58 am Of all the things we have to worry about over the next couple of decades, I highly doubt that nukes from the moon is one of them.
Idk, man. Space-based weaponry is already a major threat. We currently have our hands full fighting solar-powered Jewish space lasers burning our forests to the ground.
The goy know.
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:10 am As someone who is Latino and watched Looney Tunes as a kid, I never saw Speedy Gonzales as being offensive. I just saw him as being a really fun character. I mean, how could a young child watch that and immediately think of racism unless someone explains it to you, which my parents never did because they knew how stupid that be. When I first heard of people saying that he is offensive because he embodies Mexican stereotypes, I was thinking "Uh...no. He's not. Stop being so f*cking offended over everything. Many of us like Speedy."

And going after Pepe Le Pew as well? Come on.
The stereotypical character of Speedy is so old and was so dated even for the time, I'm surprised that modern Latino children would even get any of them. I always thought Speedy was probably the best treated ethnic character on the show - his creation was long after they stopped making minstrel jokes.
Last edited by Malchik on Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Yeah people have been trying to get rid of Speedy for years, the character himself has even made mention of it. Nothing new and not worth getting bent out of shape over, though "But Latinos love Speedy!" is just as much a sweeping statement as, you know... the opposite.

Also I would not mourn the loss of Pepe Le Pew, he's never exactly been up there with the best of the Looney Tunes.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

We all know Daffy Duck is the real star of the show anyway.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:08 pm We all know Daffy Duck is the real star of the show anyway.
Duck Dodgers is where it's at.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

goji89 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:06 am
mikelcho wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:44 am
goji89 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:32 am

Yes, and the same hispanic people defended him back then as they do now.

Added in 12 minutes 4 seconds:
Also, if the people are not offended by the portrayal of an "offensive" character is it offensive? Who deems it so? Because if someone finds offense to said character aren't they basically acknowledging the stereotype even though the people who should be offended don't? Then are they being offended for them because that's what they themselves see?
And while we're on the subject of potentially offensive characters, does anyone else but me notice that everyone's complaining about Speedy Gonzales but no one's ever said anything about, say, Pepe le Pew?
NOBODY cares about the French.

See.....LOL

Added in 35 minutes 6 seconds:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fact-checkin ... 37579.html
Oh, I wouldn't say that.

Read the essay "The Human Animal" from Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain and you'll see a very sarcastic example of what I mean. This isn't just dripping with sarcasm, it's overflowing with it! When and if you read it, please let me know what you think.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Okay, let's shut up about the cartoon mouse for a second and focus on an actual serious issue.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... en-who?amp
A Republican lawmaker in Texas has introduced a bill that would allow the death penalty for women who have abortions.

"Today, I filed HB 3326 to Abolish Abortion in Texas," Texas State Rep. Bryan Slaton (R) said on Twitter.

"The bill will end the discriminatory practice of terminating the life of innocent children, and will guarantee the equal protection of the laws to all Texans, no matter how small," he said.

Under HB 3326, a person who has an abortion or performs an abortion could be charged with assault or homicide, which is punishable by death, the Texas Tribune reported.
Holy F'n Christ. I can't believe I used to be on the fence about this topic. There's nothing pro-life about this in the slightest.

Texas: "We don't need the government running our lives. They can't tell people or businesses how to operate."

Also Texas: "Women who get abortions should be killed."
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

As a French person, I find Pepe Le Pew extremely offensive! Good riddance! :mad:

This is a joke by the way.
Last edited by Voyager on Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:59 am Okay, let's shut up about the cartoon mouse for a second and focus on an actual serious issue.

A Republican lawmaker in Texas has introduced a bill that would allow the death penalty for women who have abortions.

"Today, I filed HB 3326 to Abolish Abortion in Texas," Texas State Rep. Bryan Slaton (R) said on Twitter.

"The bill will end the discriminatory practice of terminating the life of innocent children, and will guarantee the equal protection of the laws to all Texans, no matter how small," he said.

Under HB 3326, a person who has an abortion or performs an abortion could be charged with assault or homicide, which is punishable by death, the Texas Tribune reported.
Holy F'n Christ. I can't believe I used to be on the fence about this topic. There's nothing pro-life about this in the slightest.

Texas: "We don't need the government running our lives. They can't tell people or businesses how to operate."

I'm gonna actually......... agree with you.

This is by far the stupidest bullshit I have read. Doesn't change my mind on the matter, but, I am soooo against this dumb shiiit.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Won't go through.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Malchik wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:26 am Won't go through.
Yeah, but to see it brought up is stupid. An eye for an eye type of crap.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:59 am Okay, let's shut up about the cartoon mouse for a second and focus on an actual serious issue.

Well, at least they're honest about not giving a fuck about women.

Oh, and in other news, Trump issued a statement saying we should all "thank him" for that beautiful vaccine shot and if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be getting one for at least 5 years, and probably not at all.

Nevermind that this same idiot undercut distribution of the Pfizer vaccine, called the pandemic a hoax for months on end and we might not even need it if it wasn't for him, but Dumb Dumb being Dumb Dumb, he's gonna try to have his cake and eat it, too.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

goji89 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:51 am https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-office ... 23140.html

F the police am I right?
Erm, I don’t think anyone here critical of the cops wants them to die.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:16 am
goji89 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:51 am https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-office ... 23140.html

F the police am I right?
Erm, I don’t think anyone here critical of the cops wants them to die.
Nope, just not murder and get away with it.

Seriously, they should be held to a higher standard than you or I, not the other way around.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

"Staggering number" of migrant kids pack Texas facility, lawyers say
Neha Desai, a lawyer representing migrant youth in U.S. government custody, said she interviewed children who said they were hungry, as well as minors who only showered once in seven days.
"Some of the boys said that conditions were so overcrowded that they had to take turns sleeping on the floor," Desai added, citing interviews with nearly a dozen unaccompanied migrant children held at the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) holding facility in Donna, Texas.
On March 2, the Donna complex was holding more than 1,800 people — 729% of its pandemic-era capacity, which is designed for 250 migrants, according to an internal CBP document reviewed by CBS News.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

It's only gonna get worse. Open borders administration.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexicos-bord ... 39178.html
Last edited by goji89 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Honduras opened it boarders for surrounding destabilized Latino populations so it is no longer a refugee issue but an economical migrant one.