Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Official News topic

Post by _JNavs_ »

It's so weird to me how people think in Black and White. There's about a million+ other skin tones and ethnicities out there. Yes of course I'm concerned with the borderline segregated wording of white people on that sign. It's prejudiced, it makes people biased, it gets people riled up. It gets one color furious at the other subliminally.

Everybody on this planet has archaic ancestry they grew beyond if you look far enough. Spanish, Irish, Latino, Mexican, Russian, Asian, Italian, etc. etc.

Yet I, as an Italian/Puerto Rican dude who grew up with an incredibly "diverse" crowd, am not advocating that we put a laser dot sight on all Sub Saharan Africans and Spanish folks for their racial attacks on "my people", because I'm not looking to penalize them for their ancestry. I'm not going to tell them how to move about in certain "segregated zones"

I'm not going to call it progressive if I go and make a poster saying "All Subsaharan African People read this and respect these rules that I, some nobody, have declared for this area. Did I know the guy who passed? No. But I'm going to stand on my soapbox regardless"
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:44 am
Zasraniec wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:19 pm
goji89 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:29 pm

It's only a problem when people turn it into one just like with anything else.

Kind of like this reactionary post you just made.
Ok so name me a positive of liking a country only because you were born there. I'll wait. Even if you do find one I don't think it will beat the bad it has done. Literal genocides were caused under that banner.
Oh boy...

The Holocaust was not caused because of purely German Nationalism. Anti-semitism was common in Europe at the time and the Nazis put it to an extreme because they wanted a scapegoat for their humiliation at the end of the First World War. Also you’re forgetting that Hitler was borderline mentally-ill and the Nazis were practically a cult surrounding Hitler and his beliefs. German Nationalism didn’t cause the genocides, racism did. Take Spanish Nationalists. They were very nationalistic, but no genocides there, same with the Italian Fascists before the German takeover in ‘43.

And the genocides done in Asia under Emperor Showa were born of the racism of higher against the Chinese, Filipinos, Anglo-Saxons, etc, not Japanese patriotism.

If that is what you were referring too, you are sorely mistaken. Patriotism does not suddenly cause someone to resort to mass genocide or ethnic cleansing.
I think you took my quotes in black and white. I didn't say patriotism guarantees genocide nor did I say Nazism is 100% patriotism, although a massive chunk of it is. Just like religion doesn't guarantee a war 100% of the time, although it certainly sparked a lot of wars. I know that some religious charities do some good too. I just meant the harm seems to be more frequent than the good. Nazi racism went hand in hand with their patriotism. Why else would Hitler call his regime the Third Reich and talk about his "Aryan supremacy"? Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Zasraniec wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:42 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:44 am
Zasraniec wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Ok so name me a positive of liking a country only because you were born there. I'll wait. Even if you do find one I don't think it will beat the bad it has done. Literal genocides were caused under that banner.
Oh boy...

The Holocaust was not caused because of purely German Nationalism. Anti-semitism was common in Europe at the time and the Nazis put it to an extreme because they wanted a scapegoat for their humiliation at the end of the First World War. Also you’re forgetting that Hitler was borderline mentally-ill and the Nazis were practically a cult surrounding Hitler and his beliefs. German Nationalism didn’t cause the genocides, racism did. Take Spanish Nationalists. They were very nationalistic, but no genocides there, same with the Italian Fascists before the German takeover in ‘43.

And the genocides done in Asia under Emperor Showa were born of the racism of higher against the Chinese, Filipinos, Anglo-Saxons, etc, not Japanese patriotism.

If that is what you were referring too, you are sorely mistaken. Patriotism does not suddenly cause someone to resort to mass genocide or ethnic cleansing.
I think you took my quotes in black and white. I didn't say patriotism guarantees genocide nor did I say Nazism is 100% patriotism, although a massive chunk of it is. Just like religion doesn't guarantee a war 100% of the time, although it certainly sparked a lot of wars. I know that some religious charities do some good too. I just meant the harm seems to be more frequent than the good. Nazi racism went hand in hand with their patriotism. Why else would Hitler call his regime the Third Reich and talk about his "Aryan supremacy"? Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

But ‘Aryan Supremacy’ doesn’t necessarily entail genocide of Jews, homosexuals, the disabled, gypsies, etc. Not saying ‘Aryan Supremacy’ is a good thing, it’s very much not.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Not sure how much of a fan of history you are but I'd be happy to talk more about WW2 in PM. Just one teeny tiny problem with that. I can't PM...

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Nationalism is a hop, skip and a jump away from racism.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Zasraniec wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:49 pm Not sure how much of a fan of history you are but I'd be happy to talk more about WW2 in PM. Just one teeny tiny problem with that. I can't PM...
You can thank Omegazilla and his alternate accounts for that one. Sorry about that.
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:00 pm It's so weird to me how people think in Black and White.
And it’s weird to me that white people are getting offended and making the George Floyd tragedy about themselves, over a half-assed sign that just... asks white people to not make it about themselves.

Besides that, the sign is more what you would call guidelines, than actual rules.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:54 pm Clearly this is a joke right? I mean this can't be real.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/22/sign-at-g ... -visitors/
Well you see they're not actually commands. Much like the pirate code, they're more like "guidelines", which in this case, may or may not be enforced arbitrarily and/or selectively by roaming bands of Justice Fighers. Obvious the existence of such a sign is proof that "white people are attempting to make the George Floyd tragedy about themselves" and/or "trying to cause trouble in GF square." I'm sure it has nothing to do with the square allegedly being somewhat of a no-go zone. Maybe white people should just get the memo and stay out of the square for a while.

Oh and having a contrary opinion on this is some sort of ideological crime, backed up by the recital of intentionally vague, jargon-ridden terms. To the people that agree with this or would willingly subject themselves to such "guidelines" without a second thought, are you sure you're not mistaking your "compassion", or whatever other motivating factor you hold, for submissiveness? How would you interpret these guidelines if you were visting? Would you be afraid that someone would enforce these policies? And what should happen to someone who acts contrary to these guidelines, however they are interpreted at the time?
Last edited by shadowgigan on Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:56 pm I'm sure it has nothing to do with the square allegedly being somewhat of a no-go zone. Maybe white people should just get the memo and stay out of the square for a while.
That is... quite a reach.
Oh and having a contrary opinion on this is some sort of ideological crime
As is this, for that matter. It's weird to me that some people want to make a big fuss about the sign. That's a far cry from claiming it's an ideological crime.
To the people that agree with this or would willingly subject themselves to such "guidelines" without a second thought, are you sure you're not mistaking your "compassion", or whatever other motivating factor you hold, for submissiveness?
Uh... since when is being respectful at a memorial a sign of submissiveness? You act like the existence of that sign means it should be challenged.
How would you interpret these guidelines if you were visting? Would you be afraid that someone would enforce these policies? And what should happen to someone who acts contrary to these guidelines, however they are interpreted at the time?
If I were visiting, it wouldn't be as a tourist. I'd be there to learn, and I'd be there to pay my respects. I wouldn't be afraid of anyone enforcing those policies, because that's quite frankly a silly thing to be afraid of.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Zasraniec wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:49 pm Not sure how much of a fan of history you are but I'd be happy to talk more about WW2 in PM. Just one teeny tiny problem with that. I can't PM...
I’m a big WW2 buff. I’d be glad to talk about these things.

Anywho, for an example of patriotism ≠ genocide. The British Empire. They thought the North Europeans were far superior, but they didn’t do any straight up genocides in Africa, Canada, Australia, India, etc. The frontier wars and subsequent massacres in Australia for example, were committed by the settlers, and not the Empire itself.
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

KK42 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:47 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:56 pm I'm sure it has nothing to do with the square allegedly being somewhat of a no-go zone. Maybe white people should just get the memo and stay out of the square for a while.
That is... quite a reach.
Oh and having a contrary opinion on this is some sort of ideological crime
As is this, for that matter. It's weird to me that some people want to make a big fuss about the sign. That's a far cry from claiming it's an ideological crime.
To the people that agree with this or would willingly subject themselves to such "guidelines" without a second thought, are you sure you're not mistaking your "compassion", or whatever other motivating factor you hold, for submissiveness?
Uh... since when is being respectful at a memorial a sign of submissiveness? You act like the existence of that sign means it should be challenged.
How would you interpret these guidelines if you were visting? Would you be afraid that someone would enforce these policies? And what should happen to someone who acts contrary to these guidelines, however they are interpreted at the time?
If I were visiting, it wouldn't be as a tourist. I'd be there to learn, and I'd be there to pay my respects. I wouldn't be afraid of anyone enforcing those policies, because that's quite frankly a silly thing to be afraid of.
Meh, yeah I'll admit that probably wasn't my best post...made in haste.

My point is this. First, the designation of "George Floyd Square" as a legitimate memorial place is up for debate for me. It seems to me like it may be a hostile occupation of an area where a tragedy occurred. The occupation may or may not consist of locals, who knows. This was once a "normal" public area with businesses in the area, et cetera.People are usually respectful when they are out in public, and especially at a memorial. I, and most others, generally do not need to be reminded on how to act when out in public. Therefore I am inherently suspicious when random race-specific "guidelines" are posted. When one is in a public area, one is able to speak at reasonable tone and decibel, in most states one may record on public property.

Second, the language used is somewhat aggressive in tone. The statement "do not take pictures w/o consent" (paraphrased) seems to contain some force behind it. And while filming others in public may go against common courtesy, I does not rise to the level of breaking the law. So it would seem like the sign is attempting to restrict "white people" from partaking in otherwise completely legal actions and placing arbitrary limits on freedom in a public place. It's just odd considering the people overseeing the area likely have little connection to George Floyd himself. Yet one is supposed to act in accordance to their demands and/or suggestions? The occupiers place great emphasis on insisting visitors not distract from George Floyd, yet seem to do a lot to draw attention to themselves.

Describing the site of George Floyd's death as a "sacred" place is just bizarre.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

How could you do this to another human being? Even if I was racist or looked at someone as "inferior" I don't think I could do it. We have to remain vigilent and protect the rights of those we "don't like" or "look down upon". This in turn protects all citizens from would-be tyrants amongst us, even the racists. I don't see how these white supremacists don't get that. Moreso they cry so much about tyranny against white people yet simultaneously would be perpetrators of tyranny against white people. It's completely bonkers to me why these types of people think they could force me to abandon all my non-white friends and my girlfriend and expect me to react kindly and embrace them with open arms, they have another thing coming. It's just goofy.

Anyways end rant. I guess this article wasn't really about what I was talking about in the first place, but it just reminded me about how stupid it is to place arbitrary determinations on entire classes of people. This guy, it seems, was the tyrant warned about, so I doubt he was too concerned with anyone's rights but his own. It's just crazy to think there are people out there who want an ethno-state and think everything would be hunky dory kumbaya when there are guys like this going around who clearly don't care about anyone's rights.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Jesus Christ that fucking country... -_-

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Oscars ratings
2014 - 43.7 million
2020 - 23.8 million (which was the lowest)
2021 - 9.85 million

Grammy ratings
2021 - 8.8 million - 53% drop from 2020

Golden Globes
6.9 million - 63% drop from 2020

We can throw out any number of reasons that interest and viewership for awards shows has declined in recent years...but no matter what, it is for the best. Hollyweird frankly needs to implode into irrelevance and be replaced by a better system.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Chrispy_G wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:24 pm Oscars ratings
2014 - 43.7 million
2020 - 23.8 million (which was the lowest)
2021 - 9.85 million

Grammy ratings
2021 - 8.8 million - 53% drop from 2020

Golden Globes
6.9 million - 63% drop from 2020

We can throw out any number of reasons that interest and viewership for awards shows has declined in recent years...but no matter what, it is for the best. Hollyweird frankly needs to implode into irrelevance and be replaced by a better system.
Eh, I don’t think that reflects on “Hollywood”, but more of the increasing irrelevance of “forced-fed media”. What I mean by that is that we are beyond the era of self-congratulatory awards shows and requiring others to tell us what is good or bad. Thanks to the internet, everyone can now easily decide and discuss what is the “best” as well as listen to independent or smaller outlets on what their selection is. It’s just an outdated system of awards shows crumbling. It’s also being cannibalized by the rise of foreign and streaming related content, something that many of these awards shows will be slow to recognize and fully grasp.

One minor positive about the pandemic I would say is the rise of more focus on independent and smaller productions. There’s been a few of these over the past year and I’m happy about that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I don't watch awards shows because they seem to look down upon the film and music I enjoy. Really no reason to watch.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:03 pm I don't watch awards shows because they seem to look down upon the film and music I enjoy. Really no reason to watch.
The voters also don't take their jobs seriously. They don't even watch all of the nominees.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-seaso ... 09456.html

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

KK42 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:10 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:03 pm I don't watch awards shows because they seem to look down upon the film and music I enjoy. Really no reason to watch.
The voters also don't take their jobs seriously. They don't even watch all of the nominees.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-seaso ... 09456.html
It's the same thing with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Just a meaninfless circlejerk. Also reminds me of the Coach's Poll in College Football...they can't possibly watch the games so how can you ask them to rank the teams?! lol