Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Official News topic

Post by mikelcho »

Remember when I said on pg. 273 that nobody says anything about Pepe le Pew being offensive?

I stand corrected.

Warner Bros. has just dropped Pepe as a character because (are you ready for this one, boys and girls?) he "popularizes rape culture".

Okay, now I know it's the end of the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It would be easy to get mad about a classic character from my childhood being cancelled, but... well, quite frankly it's the right thing to do. His whole schtick is completely unacceptable by modern standards, and rightly so. He was never a really major character, anyway, so he's not a huge loss. I tended to forget he even existed.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:19 pm Warner Bros. has just dropped Pepe as a character because (are you ready for this one, boys and girls?) he "popularizes rape culture".
Well... they're not wrong.

Besides that, it's not really a big deal. The original cartoons still exist on youtube or streaming services, or on DVDs. It's not as if the new Loony Tunes shows hold up to the originals.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I like Pepe but dude was a G-rated rapist low key. As long as he old cartoons aren't vaulted its ok.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

I never enjoyed Pepe's cartoons but don't entirely agree on the situation. I'd be angrier if I liked the character.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:19 pm Remember when I said on pg. 273 that nobody says anything about Pepe le Pew being offensive?

I stand corrected.

Warner Bros. has just dropped Pepe as a character because (are you ready for this one, boys and girls?) he "popularizes rape culture".

Okay, now I know it's the end of the world.
If it's any comfort, if Pepe were bringing in any kind of significant money for WB, they would not have made this decision.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Pepe is a rapist now? Good Lord.

People today are really trying hard to cut back on humor. The dude got biitcch slapped everytime and he was just trying to find love. Now it's "rape"....... snowflake sjw's. It's not socially acceptable now....like what is? Like everything has to be wholesome good family fun jokes. Can't joke about the marriage because dudes a toxic make, can't make fun of other people your a racist, can't be political you are a nut job if your cobservative.
Everything is offensive everything is not o.k everything is hurting peoples feelings.

Man, people can't take jokes and adult humor is lost.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:19 pm

Warner Bros. has just dropped Pepe as a character because (are you ready for this one, boys and girls?) he "popularizes rape culture"
When has Pepe La Pew done anything of significance outside of being in group shots of Looney Tunes movies,

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:34 am

When has Pepe La Pew done anything of significance outside of being in group shots of Looney Tunes movies,
I mean, that's just it really. Nothing. He contributed legit nothing. I'm not gonna act like the reason behind it wasn't a stupid pile of crap, but what impact is this gonna have? It's not like a huge game changer for the Looney Tunes brand or anything. I guarantee you most people forgot about Pepe before this happened.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

So if it wasnt hurting anyone and wasn't a huge deal why cancel him? What is this need to go into the past and erase it just so people can have some peace of mind of how the "times are changing?"
I just find it exhausting how people find ever little thing so damn offensive.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

goji89 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:00 pm So if it wasnt hurting anyone and wasn't a huge deal why cancel him? What is this need to go into the past and erase it just so people can have some peace of mind of how the "times are changing?"
:shrug:

It's just, at the end of the day though, Pepe getting "cancelled" (that term is so stupid) really isn't gonna be that big of a deal in the long run. Legit almost no one is gonna miss him so like.. who's gonna care?

Cancel Culture members are certainly stupid, but there's no real reason to go after them if they're just gonna waste their time on something so insignificant.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:07 pm
Cancel Culture members are certainly stupid, but there's no real reason to go after them if they're just gonna waste their time on something so insignificant.
True, I can get behind this sentiment.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

This is the most any of you have thought about Pepe Le Pew in years.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:26 pm This is the most any of you have thought about Pepe Le Pew in years.
Exactly. :lol:
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Also, how are we "erasing the past" here? All the "cancel" news I read simply states that he won't appear in the new Space Jam sequel.

It's not like they're gonna retroactively airbrush him out of every previous cartoon he was in. Some people here get triggered way too easily.

EDIT #2: Wait a goddamn minute, there's a Space Jam 2 coming out? I thought that movie lost all relevance like, 20 years ago.
Last edited by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/oOGrWfiKI0Q[/YouTube]

This is how I feel about Pepe.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:26 pm This is the most any of you have thought about Pepe Le Pew in years.

:lol:

You're right is to why I'm dropping this whole Pepe thing.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

We're talking about an offensive character? Is this the norm here? There are far more important issues going on. You know, the type that gets people actually killed. I don't even watch those old cartoons but who cares?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

One of Chuck Jones' Oscars was for one of Pepe's cartoons - "For Scent-timental Reasons" (1949). That's history and can't be denied by anyone with a brain. Not for nothing is Jones considered one of the two or three certifiable geniuses in the history of animated cartoons.

And besides, there were at least three cartoons - including the Oscar winner mentioned above - in which the tables were turned in the end and Pepe was doing the running away and the cat was chasing him. Not only that, the real reason she wanted to get away from him in the first place was this: he's a skunk, skunks stink...do the math. It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out. Besides, one of the inspirations for Pepe le Pew was the character Pepe le Moko from the film Algiers (1938).

It's a good thing I got a copy of the DVD Looney Tunes Super Stars - Pepe le Pew: Ze Best of ze Best (which contains all of his short cartoon appearances from beginning to end) when I did, since it's the only way I'm going to be able to watch them all as I'll ever get.

After all is said and done, who's next on the chopping block? Porky Pig, because he stutters? Mr. Magoo, because he's nearsighted? (Oh, wait, that second one's already been done. Silly me! What was I thinking?)

So, I don't think that this incident should be considered nothing. One person gets a stupid idea like this started out in the wild and it's like a weed - left unchecked, it grows out of control. Always remember this old saying..."Try to please everyone and you end up pleasing no one."

Here's a YouTube video that's a perfect example of what I'm trying to say:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQrkzRraz20
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

We had a mass shooting in Boulder killing ten people and no one yet has spoken of it. :eh: