Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Official News topic

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

tyrantgoji wrote:90's actually left a comment saying that most people who died were either elderly or had health issues with the virus being the nail in the coffin, but he deleted it because he thought it was too insensitive..actually that is kinda cold typing that out.
Aye, I did. I didn't want to come off coming being an jerk to those who lost loved ones from the virus. More the reason why this should be contained regardless of the morality rate.

Guess like LSD were just tired of hearing it everywhere we go. Anyways this is the last I'll talk about this because at this rate I'm just repeating myself.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

For the last fortnight, someone has dumping pillowcases full of snakes at a fire station.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/18/uk/s ... index.html

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

For the record, infectious diseases are most dangerous to the very old, the very young, and to those who are immuno-compromised in some way, like a pre-existing health condition. These groups are where the most fatalities occur during flu outbreaks, for example, and it is highly likely for the Coronavirus as well. Flu pandemics typically kill less than 1% of those infected though. Coronavirus seems to have a much higher lethality rate, which is the problem...

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Not to mention China is almost certainly hiding information about the virus and is lethality rate. Things are likely worse than the official news sources let on.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Not to mention China is almost certainly hiding information about the virus and is lethality rate. Things are likely worse than the official news sources let on.
Maybe I'm a conspiracy nut but I see China trying to use this as a means of population control.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:For the last fortnight, someone has dumping pillowcases full of snakes at a fire station.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/18/uk/s ... index.html
They must've wanted to get rid of them before they bred. :lol:

Although if they wanted to get rid of them, why not just put them at a nearby lake or something? At least they can live.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Not to mention China is almost certainly hiding information about the virus and is lethality rate. Things are likely worse than the official news sources let on.
There's no evidence to suggest this.

I live in Japan, and while it's a concern, the death rates are right in line with the original rate published in China. The same goes for both Italy and Korea. Places like Iran will certainly see worse death rates, but that's most likely in part o unsanitary conditions and a bad healthcare system. 2 elementary kids from Hokkaido got the virus a few weeks ago and both are fine now.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:People really need to learn that epidemiology is more complicated than "take this number and divide by that number".
I agreed with your original post.

Japanese schools have been impacted. I have a lot of friends who work as travel agents and for travel companies and their lives are fucked right now. Another guy I work with works part time as a youth basketball coach, and suddenly that's all temporarily canceled. My job is canceled for the next month (I work as a teacher so I'm compensated and my job is safe), which may sound fun on the surface, but I'm concerned about the wellbeing of my students, who have nothing to do for a month (lots of public places are closed so there's little to do), and it does impact their education. Even beyond that, graduating seniors, are having their graduation ceremony severely scaled back, and people that are graduating college now are having a difficult time finding work for April (Japanese hiring for companies runs from march to April). I've had friends back in Brooklyn be racially discriminated just because they are of Asian descent. I've had another friend, who can't visit her pregnant sister in the United States because of how much pressure there is currently to not travel. My mother can't visit me in April like originally planned, and as it stands now my plans for Okinawa are canceled.

My main point, and annoyance on all this, is that it's incredibly frustrating seeing Americans right now, who most likely be unaffected (in the grander scheme of things) freak out and lose their shit, over something that's actually currently affecting where I am. It's really pathetic. Again, I'm not saying don't be concerned, but the posts of random death tolls, without any context, by Mandasaurus are really annoying. Especially when Mandasaurus lives in a really rural area (not being a stalker, it's right under his Avatar).

Let me say something that will blow your minds:
Japan, Korea and China rely heavily on public transportation, particularly crowded ones. Americans tend to use more cars and live spread out from one another. Japan and China also have really shitty work cultures. People still go into work if they are sick normally, unless they are super duper sick, because of the expectation to keep working. People don't just take a day off because they "don't feel well". Additionally, Japan in general, has way more "club" and "ceremonial" activities where people meet and interact with one another afterschool/work. Many Asian households are also multi-generational. People in their 20's live with their parents (and this is normal) and grandparents. This is why it will be particular bad for Asian countries.

Americans in comparison, tend to be more solitary. Some can see it as wishful thinking, but I would not freak out in assuming that this will play out in the same way as America. Again, not saying don't worry, or don't prepare or anything, but some of this shit is really pissing me off.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
It's the Chinese government. That's plenty evidence enough.

I'll start trusting what China has to say the moment that authoritarian regime collapses and gets replaced.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
It's the Chinese government. That's plenty evidence enough.

I'll start trusting what China has to say the moment that authoritarian regime collapses and gets replaced.
Don't trust China fine, but my point is everything as it stands is in line with what was reported. This includes governments other than China, and multiple health agencies.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/he ... ernor-says
Well there you go. Called some former co-workers and my parents and businesses freaking out+panic buying has already begun.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I looked at the Coronavirus stats, and noticed that the mortality rate soars when you're talking people who are 80+ or have cardiovascular disease, diabetes, hypertension, cancer and the like. This is expected. What is NOT expected, is that no one in the 0-9 years group has died. Logically, this is likely related to the fact that children's bodies are constantly growing and developing, and that this helps them to fight off the Coronavirus somehow.

Recovered cases are now over 45,000. This has lowered the mortality rate to 6%...

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

This is from last year so it might be outdated but apparently a firearms manufacture was researching & developing ammo that can achieve hypersonic speeds for Russian snipers so there's less bullet travel time between shooter to target.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... lets-36807

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Breaking news, local dumbass runs truck into Easter Island statue and rightfully gets skreoonking arrested.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video/on ... i-BB10Qg4j

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa ... -1.5490120

How about some good news for once? (For the Canadians here at least.)

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

MandaSaurus wrote:I looked at the Coronavirus stats, and noticed that the mortality rate soars when you're talking people who are 80+ or have cardiovascular disease, diabetes, hypertension, cancer and the like. This is expected. What is NOT expected, is that no one in the 0-9 years group has died. Logically, this is likely related to the fact that children's bodies are constantly growing and developing, and that this helps them to fight off the Coronavirus somehow.

Recovered cases are now over 45,000. This has lowered the mortality rate to 6%...
As someone with MS and hypertension, i am terrified
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:As someone with MS and hypertension, i am terrified
I pray for you dude. Be safe. :(

I believe you'll pull through. You got through swine flu, SARS and zika. You can do it I believe it. :)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
As someone with MS and hypertension, i am terrified[/quote]

Well just remember, wash hands well, don't touch the face (as tempting as it is) and stay indoors for the time being! C'mon you can beat this!
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I'm sick of all this talk of how the Coronavirus will us all. First in 1997, it was both Mad Cow disease and the chicken flu, then it was SARS, then the pig flu, then West Nile, and then Ebola, next it was the regular flu because of a faulty vaccine, and now this. People are treating this like it's the second coming of the bubonic plague. It's absurd. That's what the media wants you to believe. Let me tell ya, they are so bloodthristy and greedy for ratings that they'd throw a bag of kittens in front of an incoming fright train and record the results live just for ratings and nothing else.

Sorry, but unless millions of people are dropping dead every day with crows, vultures, and coyotes eating corpses on the streets, then this is just overhyped bullcrap.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Coronavirus Update:

118,848 Confirmed Cases. 4,269 Deaths. 65,105 Recovered.

USA Update: 971 Confirmed Cases. 30 Deaths.

I myself suffer from hypertension, but since changing my diet( Sep/Oct 2019 ), I have lost 50 lbs, and my blood pressure is totally under control...

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

MandaSaurus wrote:Coronavirus Update:

118,848 Confirmed Cases. 4,269 Deaths. 65,105 Recovered.

USA Update: 971 Confirmed Cases. 30 Deaths.

I myself suffer from hypertension, but since changing my diet( Sep/Oct 2019 ), I have lost 50 lbs, and my blood pressure is totally under control...
I've been taking better care of myself as well via massively cutting down on pop. That and I've always had a powerful immune system.