Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: Official News topic

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: I hope he does time too but can we not wish prison rape on people, please? That kind of crap shouldn't be encouraged.
Normally I'd agree, but I'll make an exception for serial rapists and pedophiles like Harvey Weinstein.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Some "good" news about the Corona Virus is that it may in fact help decrease tensions between Japan and China. Japan is working with China on the issue, and also various parts of Japan are helping China. It's also become apparent how reliant a lot of Japanese businesses are on China, and vice versa (unlike the United States who is trying to pretend there isn't a reliance).
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/25/asia ... index.html

Conversely, fuck this guy:
https://kotaku.com/tokyo-ramen-restaura ... 1841805078
(this is the type of Japanese shit I hate. "My Ramen is so VALUABLE".)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So Disney chairman, Bob Iger, left the company an entire year early today and he's putting the..runner of the parks in charge what the skreoonk?

I wonder if the Weinstein debate caused him to leave early.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Coronavirus itself isn't that deadly

but you should still prepare for food shortages. If it comes to your town and becomes a pandemic, expect a few weeks of food shortages.

Would be wise to have a few weeks of bottled water and nonperishable food around. Toilet paper, basic medicine, masks.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:Coronavirus itself isn't that deadly

but you should still prepare for food shortages. If it comes to your town and becomes a pandemic, expect a few weeks of food shortages.

Would be wise to have a few weeks of bottled water and nonperishable food around. Toilet paper, basic medicine, masks.
I stocked up on rice, instant ramen, a months worth of frozen meat and veggies and bottles of water a few weeks ago.

I wouldn't worry too much about non-perishable food (although that's always something to have) as the issue isn't the electricity going out, or some regular disaster. It's not like they'll shut off the electricity. Masks itself are also not really effective. I'm already prepped.

Added in 5 hours 55 minutes 18 seconds:
So Abe is asking for Japanese schools to be closed for the next few weeks. News media will try to make it seem like this is an “executive order”, in that this isn’t something as of now Local Board of Educations have to follow through. Furthermore, private schools are probably going to do their own thing.

The main issue, is that many schools are about to do their final exams for the semester. Note that shinzo said,”asks”. Most likely, immediately following everything will be shut down.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Coronavirus Update in China: Confirmed cases 82,70. Death toll 2,817.

Supposedly there are 54 confirmed cases in the US. All in isolation, no doubt.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I don't know if this topic has posted already, but I'll just go ahead.

An Australian Senator is trying to get anime banned, as he claims that it's a grooming tool for pedos.
https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/02/ ... loitation/

Needless to say, but I think that this guy is full of it.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:I don't know if this topic has posted already, but I'll just go ahead.

An Australian Senator is trying to get anime banned, as he claims that it's a grooming tool for pedos.

To be fair, Sword Art Online and Goblin Slayer are pretty fucking shitty. I don't know if I'd call them a grooming tool for pedos, though; the sad truth is that pedophilia isn't something you can choose. (And besides that, I've avoided those two shows like the plague so I don't know if they actually contain child molestation or not.)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:I don't know if this topic has posted already, but I'll just go ahead.

To be fair, Sword Art Online and Goblin Slayer are pretty skreeonking shitty. I don't know if I'd call them a grooming tool for pedos, though; the sad truth is that pedophilia isn't something you can choose. (And besides that, I've avoided those two shows like the plague so I don't know if they actually contain child molestation or not.)

I watched a few episodes of Goblin Slayer (it's all right, not bad, not good) and there was none of that, or anything to suggest that.

What this guy is doing is trying to scare up a moral panic. I've seen enough of this sort of thing, people wanting power blaming real problems and real world evils on comic books, horror movies, rap, rock, DnD, video games, cartoons and Harry Potter. Media dose not make people violent and there is no satanic, or paedophilia conspiracies hidden in these things. Like I said, this guy is doing this just to gain power.

I know that you don't like those shows, but just because you don't like something doesn't mean it should be banned. There is a ton of things I don't like, but I will defend people's right to enjoy them and not have them be dragged into the mud for so.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Moral panic for sure, but there are some really skeezy and weird ways children in anime get sexualized which for whatever reason usually gets a pass.

Added in 10 hours 55 minutes 22 seconds:
Well, like all other Japanese schools mine got shut down. I still have to go in a few days to “work”, but it’ll mostly just be setting up some stuff for next year. Crazy shit, the final exams all got canceled.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

So, should we be worried about this:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/27/poli ... index.html

First the cool part, we finally live in a world where laser cannons are real.

Now for the deadly serious part. How is this going to effect relations between the US and China?

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Last edited by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Coronavirus Update:

Worldwide: 86,993 Confirmed Cases. 2,979 Deaths.

China: 79,827 Confirmed Cases. 2,870 Deaths.

Recovered: 42,600. Which comes out to a mortality rate of 7%, which is NOT good...

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MandaSaurus wrote:Coronavirus Update:

Recovered: 42,600. Which comes out to a mortality rate of 7%, which is NOT good...
Stop. You’re being annoying. This info is easily accessible on pretty much every news site, and you spamming this is really starting to piss me off.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Stop. You’re being annoying. This info is easily accessible on pretty much every news site, and you spamming this is really starting to piss me off.
Regardless of anyone's personal opinion on the matter, this is the biggest news story in the world right now. Posting an update every four days or so in the Official News topic is hardly spamming, and does keep those of us who don't frequent news sites updated on the statistics. You could complain about Manda's gloom-'n'-doom commentary, but a 7% mortality rate legitimately isn't good, so the tone isn't entirely inappropriate.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

comment deleted
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:09 am, edited 7 times in total.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

JAGzilla wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Regardless of anyone's personal opinion on the matter, this is the biggest news story in the world right now. Posting an update every four days or so in the Official News topic is hardly spamming, and does keep those of us who don't frequent news sites updated on the statistics. You could complain about Manda's gloom-'n'-doom commentary, but a 7% mortality rate legitimately isn't good, so the tone isn't entirely inappropriate.
Except that 7% mortality rate is extremely misleading. Confirmed cases tend to be underestimated, especially those in China. If you had a cough and sore throat, would you automatically rush to the doctor and get tested, or just walk it off? You could have been infected with COVID-19, but recovered without issue and wouldn't have even been added to the confirmed cases list because you were never confirmed.

Deaths also tend to be overestimated, as none of the statistics I'm reading take into account comorbid conditions (did any of the patients had preexisting conditions? Cancer? Leukemia? Immunodeficiency), nor do they take into account the kind of care the patient was receiving. Hell, anyone here actually know how old the patients were? Because based on the most recently published study, the case fatality rate for patients less than 40 years old (which I'm guessing most folks here are) is 0.6%, and that is after accounting for all the confounding variables I mentioned earlier.

People really need to learn that epidemiology is more complicated than "take this number and divide by that number".
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Except that 7% mortality rate is extremely misleading. Confirmed cases tend to be underestimated, especially those in China. If you had a cough and sore throat, would you automatically rush to the doctor and get tested, or just walk it off? You could have been infected with COVID-19, but recovered without issue and wouldn't have even been added to the confirmed cases list because you were never confirmed.

Deaths also tend to be overestimated, as none of the statistics I'm reading take into account comorbid conditions (did any of the patients had preexisting conditions? Cancer? Leukemia? Immunodeficiency), nor do they take into account the kind of care the patient was receiving. Hell, anyone here actually know how old the patients were? Because based on the most recently published study, the case fatality rate for patients less than 40 years old (which I'm guessing most folks here are) is 0.6%, and that is after accounting for all the confounding variables I mentioned earlier.

People really need to learn that epidemiology is more complicated than "take this number and divide by that number".
Fair. Stop pissing LSD off, Manda. :P
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Hell, anyone here actually know how old the patients were? Because based on the most recently published study, the case fatality rate for patients less than 40 years old (which I'm guessing most folks here are) is 0.6%, and that is after accounting for all the confounding variables I mentioned earlier.
90's actually left a comment saying that most people who died were either elderly or had health issues with the virus being the nail in the coffin, but he deleted it because he thought it was too insensitive..actually that is kinda cold typing that out.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!